Profile for Trollslayer > Reviews

Content by Trollslayer

Trollslayer "trollslayer3" (Midlands, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Multipurpose Vest 14 Pockets Waistcoat Fishing Hunting Beige Khaki
Multipurpose Vest 14 Pockets Waistcoat Fishing Hunting Beige Khaki
Offered by CamoOutdoor - The Sports & Camouflage Outfitters

4.0 out of 5 stars Great item, sizing a bit small., 4 Aug 2014
Item arrived quickly and looks just as described. It's a little heavier than expected but as it appears to be good quality material that's to be expected. Nothing flimsy about this. Loads of pockets, ideal for my purposes as I'll be using it for hiking and geocaching. Good colour and looks quite smart for a utility product.

The only niggle is the sizing. I ordered a 4XL, the largest size, as I usually take a 2XL or 3XL in jackets, shirts etc due to my bulging belly. However, I can only just zip this up with a thin tee shirt on so no chance in cooler weather with a fleece or sweater under it. I'd have put it more like a 2XL at most, something to bear in mind if you're shaped more like Homer Simpson or Comic Store Guy than Ned Flanders ;o)

BW® New 4.5 Inch 480*854 Capacitive Screen Dual SIM 3G Smartphone Android 4.2 Smartphone with MTK6572W Dual Core ,512MB RAM+4GB ROM and 2.0MP Front Camera + 5.0MP Rear Camera GPS WIFI (Black)
Offered by BW Corp

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality without the cost., 10 Jan 2014
After years of using quite basic phones I took the plunge and ordered a couple of these smartphones, one each for my wife and I for Xmas presents.
Delivery was quicker than expected although I was annoyed that I had to pay extra to DHL for duty & VAT before delivery. This really should have been included in the purchase price.

Having never used Android before it took a bit of getting used to and the tiny instruction book doesn't cover everything. Downloading a manual for the Samsung S3 mini was useful as this was far more complete and easier to read and it is effectively the same phone without the Samsung name.
All works well and overall I'm pleased enough with it that I've ordered 3 more for our children who all have birthdays in February.

There are a couple of negatives: Battery life isn't great. Using a geocaching app we went out for about 3 hours hunting for geocaches and the phone died before we got back to the car. Good job we didn't go out for the whole day. 3 hours isn't long.

The screen protector which was pre-fitted instantly bubbled up on both phones as soon as the silicone case was fitted and of course now keeps bubbling around the edges.

Genuine JML Shower Feet Foot Cleaner scrubber washer bath brush (BLUE)
Genuine JML Shower Feet Foot Cleaner scrubber washer bath brush (BLUE)
Offered by PROSPEROUS

2.0 out of 5 stars No retail packaging, 24 Dec 2013
As this was intended for a Christmas present for my Mother I was very disappointed that it came loose in a Jiffy Bag with no retail packaging, no nice box, no paperwork etc. I paid £9.98 and later spotted the same item, in proper retail packing and for the same price in Asda. Wish I'd got it from there instead. It's now saying £15.99 which is far from a competitive price.

The Long Earth
The Long Earth
by Terry Pratchett

2.0 out of 5 stars The idea had such promise..., 25 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Long Earth (Paperback)
As a huge fan of Terry Pratchett and Discworld and having enjoyed a couple of Stephen Baxter's books I looked forward to a great read. The plot line shown in the blurb seemed like my kind of book. I was hugely disappointed!

The characters seemed quite two dimensional and I couldn't relate to them at all. Both of the lead human characters can best be described as boring. The non-human character was irritating (but that was intentional I'm sure). The book reads like a long journal of a journey in which little happens but it's all recorded anyway. There's no action, no excitement, no real conflict, nothing that builds enthusiasm as you progress. The beginning plot set up is short and rushed, the huge majority is "in between space filler" and then something only slightly related to the rest of book happens back home at the end.

There is still a lot of potential for the next two books to really expand on this but having trawled through this long-winded, boring and uninspired first book I'm not encouraged to read more. I'm just not interested in what happens next.

Gone Girl
Gone Girl

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull as dishwater, 25 Jun 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
I love a good book and this one seemed like it might be at first but soon deteriorated. It does certainly delve into the intimate details of a dysfunctional marriage and there are some twists and turns along the way but I just could not relate to the characters and their actions, and from a couple of chapters into the book I was waiting patiently for some excitement which never came. The idea was good but it's like a thriller without thrills, a romance without love and a comedy that's not funny. A waste of my time reading it.

6 x Membrane Screen Protectors for Garmin eTrex 20 / 30 - Crystal Clear (Glossy), Retail Package, Installation Kit
Offered by Membrane Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple but effective, 3 Aug 2012
Bought these for my new Garmin Etrex 20 GPS and I'm so glad I did. Simple to apply, a good fit, apply and forget. 5 weeks later the screen protector is absolutely covered in scratches, evidence of how general use can take it's toll. Without the screen protector though it would be the screen that was madked for life. As it is, I can just remove the plastic, apply another and have a clear view again. Far cheaper than replacing a screen. Invaluable.

Neewer 2x Small Bendable Flexible Black table top Tripod for Compact Cameras
Neewer 2x Small Bendable Flexible Black table top Tripod for Compact Cameras

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, 3 Aug 2012
Thought I couldn't go wrong at the price but didn't expect too much. Since receiving these nifty little tripods though we've used them loads and now have a bunch of family photos with all of us in the picture (using self-timer), something we never managed before. We've used them on the top of uneven fence posts, tree branches, handrails etc. They adjust easily and have reasonable grip around posts & poles etc. Indispensable.

Garmin eTrex 20 Outdoor Handheld GPS Unit
Garmin eTrex 20 Outdoor Handheld GPS Unit

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little device., 23 Jun 2012
Read a few reviews before buying this GPS unit, hoping that it would be right for me. Got to say that having used it a few times and experimented a little, I love it. Very accurate, simple to use, fits my hand nicely and looks good too. The only disappointment is that the base map included is nothing like the image shown, it's a very, very basic map with only main roads marked. Luckily free maps are available from several places and these make a big difference as you can then see tracks, paths and all roads. Shame on Garmin for showing a premium map which is not included. Overall though, I'm very happy with my Etrex 20.

2 X Serial ATA Sata Hard Drive Data Cable Lead
2 X Serial ATA Sata Hard Drive Data Cable Lead
Offered by Joson Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't fault these leads, 11 Jan 2012
Having bought a new hard drive for my wife's computer which was having all kinds of problems I decided to replace the SATA leads at the same time. I'm glad I did as there have been no problems at all since. All drives are recognised which was not always the case previously. They arrived quickly, simple packaging and just the right length. I'll happily recommend them and will buy again.

Seven Deadly Wonders
Seven Deadly Wonders
by Matthew Reilly
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to par... by a long way., 17 Oct 2011
Having read and thoroughly enjoyed Matthew Reilly's Scarecrow series as well as Temple & Contest I was looking forward to this book and it's sequels.

It does have is a fast pace and a huge amount of action like his previous books but unlike the others this just seems too contrived, unrealistic and as another reviewer says "infantile". It's way too simplistic and shallow. Several teams decide to look for the Seven Deadly Wonders of the title which have been lost and searched for for thousands of years and they all manage to work out the location of each one in less that 24 hours each. Oh and of course they all started looking just days before a "once every 2000 years" event. Yeah, Right! Not even remotely believable. I'm all for some Indiana Jones type adventure but this could have been written by a 14 year old in a rush to complete it for his next english lesson.

Sorry Matthew but I don't think I'll bother with the sequels.

Page: 1 | 2