Profile for Jackie > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Queen Lucia
Queen Lucia

1.0 out of 5 stars Disppointing, 26 Oct 2014
This review is from: Queen Lucia (Kindle Edition)
Disappointed with this: thoroughly irritating characters.

Denman D90 Tangle Tamer Hairbrush
Denman D90 Tangle Tamer Hairbrush

5.0 out of 5 stars Anything pink ..., 8 Oct 2014
Only as efficient as the little girl who wields it, but it attracted her initially and tamed the curls for a few days.

Raw Health Organic White Chia Seeds 450 G
Raw Health Organic White Chia Seeds 450 G

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonder-seeds, 8 Oct 2014
Not sure whether these are as wonderful as they are reputed to be, but something has certainly helped my digestive grumbles. Delivery was prompt and efficient.

West With The Night (VMC)
West With The Night (VMC)
by Beryl Markham

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating read, 8 Oct 2014
The first part of this book is a lyrical evocation of Beryl Markham's childhood in Africa in the early part of the twentieth century. It goes on to record her adult flying career and triumphant solo crossing of the Atlantic. I enjoyed reading it very much, as I had done when I first read it many years ago. Since my first read, however, Mary Lovell has written a biography of Beryl Markham, and this now provides an interesting insight into Beryl's 'memories'. Maybe the 'truth' doesn't matter so much: 'West with the Night' is still a fascinating read.

Ladybird Tales: Goldilocks and the Three Bears
Ladybird Tales: Goldilocks and the Three Bears
by Vera Southgate

5.0 out of 5 stars My grandchildren sat on my knee, mute, during ..., 10 Aug 2014
My grandchildren sat on my knee, mute, during the reading, then demanded 'Again!' The vocabulary and the illustrations are 'just right' for two year olds.

Woman in Custody
Woman in Custody
by Audrey Peckham

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked the way she didn't address some of the things ..., 10 Aug 2014
This review is from: Woman in Custody (Paperback)
Written with sincerity and no-nonsense honesty. I liked the way she didn't address some of the things we might have wanted to know out of curiosity but which weren't important to the telling of her experience.

The Valley of Amazement
The Valley of Amazement

3.0 out of 5 stars I didn't enjoy this as much as Amy Tan's previous novels, 10 Aug 2014
I didn't enjoy this as much as Amy Tan's previous novels: it was too big, too episodic, and the characters didn't come alive for me. Despite thinking crossly about all the things I wasn't liking, however, I found myself reading avidly toward the end, so it must have had something.

Sea-cat and Dragon King
Sea-cat and Dragon King
by Angela Carter

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit frightening for kids?, 20 Oct 2013
I didn't like this, though I was predisposed to enjoy it having had a bit of an Angela Carter splurge. Not sure who it was aimed at, really. I can't imagine children not being frightened, unless they were too old for it. I'm afraid I passed it on to a charity shop almost immediately rather than my grandchildren.

Audubon Birds Gallery 2013 (Page a Day Gallery Calendar)
Audubon Birds Gallery 2013 (Page a Day Gallery Calendar)
by Audubon Society
Edition: Calendar

5.0 out of 5 stars Attractive and interesting, 25 Feb 2013
Each page is interesting; the birds' shapes are aesthetically pleasing. I have yet to find a page I do not like.

Between the Woods and the Water: On Foot to Constantinople from the Hook of Holland: The Middle Danube to the Iron Gates

4.0 out of 5 stars Sumptuous writing, 22 Jan 2013
I don't think I have ever encountered such beautiful descriptive writing - almost spine-tingling. The four stars instead of five were because my attention drifted in the long sections devoted to the history of the areas or peoples. I was glad to have the dictionary facility on the Kindle so that I could so easily look up the unfamiliar words: the writer's vocabulary was phenomenal.

Page: 1 | 2