Profile for bevan > Reviews

Content by bevan

bevan

Kensington Wireless 2.4 GHz USB Presenter and Red Laser Pointer - Compatible with PowerPoint and KeyNote

4.0 out of 5 stars Laser isn't great but it improves presentations, 7 Jun. 2014
I bought this to improve the slickness of my presentations. It's great that I can switch forwards and backwards now, but the laser is not very intense.

Build quality is great and it isn't too battery hungry.

Nuclear 2.0: Why a Green Future Needs Nuclear Power
Nuclear 2.0: Why a Green Future Needs Nuclear Power
by Mark Lynas

5.0 out of 5 stars Accurate and good for anybody willing to listen to the facts, 30 April 2014
As a physics student currently completing my physics degree I have a solid understanding of nuclear theory and a good understanding of the nuclear industry and technology. However I still gained a lot from this book and it gave me an even better appreciation of why nuclear energy needs to be a large part of our energy production.

The book is laid out very well and introduces topics before elaborating and finishing with some brilliant conclusions. At only 98 pages of actual book I finished it in two days and then also watched the film 'Pandora's Promise' - which this book follows very closely - because it is mentioned in the book.

If you are going to read this book you need to do so with an open mind and a desire to understand the energy crisis and environmental costs of all of our energy production decisions. You really will get a lot from it and I think it is a must read for most of the public, we're in a nuclear renaissance and I for one would love to see us keep it up and build more new build plants. The more advanced we make our plants, the safer they will be!

Lonely Planet California (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet California (Travel Guide)
by Lonely Planet

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, covers a lot of awesome places with a little on everything, 21 Feb. 2013
This book is awesome and holds to the high standard I have experienced with all lonely planet guides. It has very useful maps and a lot of interesting things to do throughout California. I'm an exchange student studying in California for a year so I've had a lot of use out of this book from San Francisco to Santa Barbara and Los Angeles. Brilliant book for a general overview of a lot of places and the best of each area.

I would however recommend the Lonely Planet Pocket guides for anyone wanting to travel to a specific city and get the most out of that place. I know for a fact that the San Francisco one for example is amazingly useful and well worth the money.

This book has maps for everywhere I've wanted one for and I use it a lot and really love it!! Can't recommend it highly enough to anybody that needs info on a few places throughout California.

Well done Lonely Planet!

Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics, Chapters 1-46, International Edition
by JEWETT/SERWAY

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 4 May 2012
I am a second year Physics undergraduate at the University of Manchester and this book has been very useful. I wouldn't advise getting it if you already have a general university level book for example 'Young and Freedmans University Physics' because there's a lot of overlap but the two books compliment each other well and both have a lot of helpful images and were really useful in my first year and in both years of labs so far. I do have the full version though and not this one!

Mathematical Techniques: An Introduction for the Engineering, Physical, and Mathematical Sciences
by Dominic Jordan

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant from a physicist, 25 Oct. 2010
i got this book from my universities library as its the book they recommend for physics at Manchester. its great, loads of clear examples and questions. definate must have for anybody on a mathematical course