ARRAY(0xa7210804)

Price: 0.77

4.0 out of 5 stars unusual, 10 April 2014
The Darkness Of The Womb by Richard B Knight

4 Stars

What an odd story! I can honestly say I have never read anything like this before so this book gets points for uniqueness right off the bat.

Aiden is an unborn baby, but after seeing images of how his life is going to pan out he doesn’t want to be born and decides to jump from the tree of life. Unfortunately for him, the powers that be believe he is the new messiah and has to be born, so they do everything in their power to save him.

In the ‘real’ world we have the boys parents, who are in their late forties and are going through work related issues and a difficult time financially. Both meet a sticky end when an accident leaves his mother, Marigold, in a coma and on the same day his father, Jeff loses his job and kills himself.

We are then taken into an alternate level of existence with characters such as Logic, Imagination and Instinct and a whole host of other such like beings, and the battle is on between the ones wanting Aiden to live and the ones who want him to die.

It is without doubt a ‘down the rabbit hole’ type of story, and I had to dig deep in my imagination to visualise the scene. The writing is very ‘male’ even without knowing the authors name, this was obvious just from the references made to Marigold’s ‘lady parts’ when we came across Love and Lust, no female would be so crass I’m sure!

Though the story was not difficult to follow or understand, it wasn’t to my taste. I am not religious in anyway but I have the feeling there may be some out there who could be offended by this interpretation of what touches on a religious theme.

Bentwhistle the Dragon in A Chilling Revelation
Bentwhistle the Dragon in A Chilling Revelation
Price: 1.86

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting, 8 April 2014
4 Stars

In the second book in this series we are reunited with Peter Bentwhistle, who is doing his best to fall back into his normal routine with his friends who welcome him back after his near death experience. Whether he wants a normal life or not, things will never be the same and the king’s guards accompany him home. They stay only long enough to remind him that he is different, that there will always be a threat out there and he needs to keep vigilant.

He is soon drawn into a deadly plot against dragon kind by an ancient foe, the Naga. To this end, we also follow Flash, a Crimson Guard investigating the recent troubles in Antarctica. There he discovers a bigger plot, worldwide danger and Peter and friends are soon pulled in.

The book follows straight after the aftermath of the fight with Manson. We see Peter back at home with a few security additions. It splits it’s time between the two aspects of Peter and Flash, flicking between them in alternative chapters. It follows Peter’s return, his growing affection for a human and his attempts to put the past behind him. The author paints a clear picture of his life and the ordinary struggles he encounters. With Flash the writing is more urgent, as he is tortured, pursued and changed forever from the attack.

This is a long book which at times feels like there are two totally separate stories, though they do come together near the end. For me it could be condensed with more emphasis on the action than the description of times and places. The similes and metaphors are also a little strange for me. I realise that the book is set in present day, human world but it feels odd when one states, ‘a stream of flame lit up the vent like a team of university students lighting their own farts,’ or ‘go paler than the lightest mayonnaise.’ Also particularly near the beginning, the author feels he needs to add lines, paragraphs to describe what he has just written. I am sure the reader can work it out without the need for the extra narrative. The writing style works with the story, the pace at times is a little slow but the concept of the dragons living and helping the humans is a good one.

Copy supplied for review

Divergent (Divergent Trilogy, Book 1)
Divergent (Divergent Trilogy, Book 1)
Price: 3.49

3.0 out of 5 stars it was okay, 8 April 2014
Divergent by Veronica Roth

3 Stars

I have been listening to people talk about this book for forever, mostly good, very few negatives but just never had the time to pick it up and read. Once the movie was on track I didn’t want to ruin the film version by reading first so waited some more! I have to say it wouldn’t have made much difference to me if I’d read it before watching because the film is a fairly accurate adaptation of this book with only a few minor detail changes.

I enjoyed the book it hooked me and I am eager to read the next instalment, but I was also slightly disappointed with it. It had too many similarities to The Hunger Games and that frustrated me. No it didn’t have Districts, but it had Factions. It didn’t have the Games but it had Initiations and the main Faction we followed, Dauntless, was extremely violent and I often wonder what the fascination is of late with creating our main young female characters with extremely good killing skills. Is this really what we want our daughters to aspire to?

I wasn’t totally sold on this Faction thing, I’m not sure what purpose it serves or how people can be pigeon holed into one particular group, that isn’t human nature and it didn’t make a whole lot of sense to me. Surely separating them like this would cause conflict rather than peace, maybe I’m just Divergent and that’s why I don’t get it!!

Peeta I mean Four was a character I liked, especially in the beginning in the training sessions, he was quietly confident, aloof, the strong silent type that appeals and his character was built well. It was fairly obvious from the onset who and what he was so there were no surprises when all was revealed later in the story.

Tris had a tendency to be annoying, she was quite judgemental and unhelpful, self-centred and irritating. I didn’t like her very much though she became more tolerable as the story moved along…a good kick in the face can have that humbling effect on people!!

As far as the world created is concerned, it was very insular, there wasn’t a full explanation of the war that resulted in this way of life, there was no explanation of what was outside of those walls and we are not told if there are any other colonies out there. Are we to believe that this little city is all that is left of the world and there are no other humans anywhere? It just felt a bit vague to me and left me with unanswered questions, perhaps I will get those answers in the next book, who knows!

Mentor (An Impossible Novella)
Mentor (An Impossible Novella)
Price: 1.85

5.0 out of 5 stars over 18 only, 2 April 2014
Mentor by Julia Sykes

5 Stars

A novella in the Impossible series, Mentor is a very dark story told mainly from Kathleen’s POV after she is kidnapped. The story has some very disturbing scenes of torture and abuse, both mental and physical, and is only suitable for readers over 18 years of age.

It’s difficult to imagine that when someone steals your freedom and keeps you in a room naked and blindfolded, that you can actually begin to need that person, but that is what happened here and by being inside Kathleen’s head it’s easy to understand why. Initially she was determined not to give him what he wanted, she didn’t want him to have the control over her that he clearly desired. As the time went on, I don’t know if it was days, weeks or even months, she slowly started to need more from him than just food and water. It went both ways, he needed things from her too and in an odd way I felt sorry for him and his inability to have normal emotions and connections with people. He is obviously damaged as a result of a difficult childhood and I couldn’t help but pity him.

I have enjoyed, that sounds wrong because of their content but I don’t know how else to word it, the whole of this series so far. Julia Sykes does a fantastic job at reeling the reader in and giving them an emotional ride. I’ve been left with something to think about at the end of each book long after I’ve finished reading, and this instalment is no different.

Escape, Past Sins
Escape, Past Sins
Price: 1.86

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved It, 2 April 2014
This review is from: Escape, Past Sins (Kindle Edition)
4 Stars

Abby and Eric have been living in paradise on a small island hidden from the media frenzy that surrounded their escape. Constantly looking over their shoulder waiting for Bryce to find them the unthinkable happens when a stranger, flashing their photo, shows up. Deciding attack is the best form of defense they ask Ben to lead the man to their door, unfortunately things don’t go to plan as he is a stronger adversary than they expected. Deciding it’s time to go back, Abby and Eric hire a boat and try to find Roberts Island, The journey isn’t simple, fraught with problems from the beginning the odds seem stacked against them, on high alert the pair don’t know who to trust making their travels even more perilous.

Escape: Past Sins, is book two in the series and is just as exciting as the first installment. Though slow to start the pace does pick up and gets the adrenaline going when we, the reader, can see the danger, while Abby thinks she is safe. Finally learning what memories Abby had chosen to forget clears up why she was on the run and why Bryce wanted her dead, he is a scary man and I’d want to forget him too.

The relationship between Eric and Abby didn’t work well for me, Eric is just too wimpy for her. Abby is clearly a strong character, both physically and mentally and as such she needs a companion who is equally as powerful, sadly for me Eric didn’t make the grade, though we do meet someone else in this book who would do nicely as the other half to Abby!

David Antocci definitely has a talent, this is a thrilling series and I really want to read the next book.

ARC supplied for review

Flawed Perfection (Beautifully Flawed)
Flawed Perfection (Beautifully Flawed)
Price: 1.84

5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars, 27 Mar 2014
Flawed Perfection by Cassandra Giovanni

4.5 Stars

Growing up next door to brothers Adam and Bobby, it was no surprise that River built up a close bond with both. As they grew older the feelings they had for each other changed, her feelings towards Bobby as a friend were nothing like the deeper feelings she felt towards Adam. Bobby was the more competitive of the brothers, he loved sport and some may say he was his parent’s favourite. Adam certainly thought so, he was constantly disappointing them with his love of music and choice of career, where as they loved everything Bobby did. I can understand why Adam had trust issues and was unable to form any kind of meaningful relationship.

Because it involved brothers, and they were both great characters, this love triangle was quite emotional. There was no one to hate, and no one to pick as the better option and root for, it really was down to the characters to decide which way this was going to go and it was often sad to read… I loved it! The ending came out of left field and I was shocked beyond words, which only added to my enjoyment.

Flawed perfection is a character driven story following the lives of these three people, it isn’t action packed or adventure filled but it held my interest anyway. Cassandra is a talented writer and I’m sure I will be reading more of her books.

Copy supplied for review

Snow Bound (The More than Magic Series)
Snow Bound (The More than Magic Series)
Price: 2.63

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 17 Mar 2014
Snowbound Elizabeth Kirke

4 Stars

After five months apart from the group, Jen meets up with the gang for a fun skiing trip, but it soon turns troublesome when Jen’s human friend Shannon arrives to stay with them. Things are further complicated when TS smells another werewolf close by and they soon realise he has a human with him. The problem with involving humans is that they are not allowed to know about magic without permission. In an attempt to hide their abilities, cracks appear and mistakes are made. An argument ends with TS getting injured resulting in Thomas being weakened because of their bond, causing him to make a rash decision.

When I read the first book in this series the one thing I found interesting was the inclusion of a variety of ‘magical species’. It’s unusual to have so many all on the same side and I like that aspect of the book. The characters acted like teenagers, their personalities came across well, and there were some humorous moments while the group were trying to conceal their magic.

The writing and editing is on form though I think reducing some of the word count in the slower areas, and adding a little more action could improve the pacing. We are not left with a cliffhanger everything by the end is tied up well.

Copy supplied for review

A Match Made in Hell: 5 (The Dream Series)
A Match Made in Hell: 5 (The Dream Series)
by Gladys Quintal
Price: 6.00

3.0 out of 5 stars part of a series, 16 Mar 2014
A Match Made In Hell (The Dream Series #5) by Gladys Quintal

3 Stars

As further information comes to light about the curse, it is more important than ever to protect AJ. With the help of Seb Chloe and Moyra, Maria is chosen to keep both Cassie and her son safe, while Alexi still battles with his own demons over what he has done.

A Match Made in Hell is book 5 in The Dream Series and is a quick read. The story continues as AJ grows older and the path he must choose is getting closer. I felt this novella was more of an info dump than an action packed read. We were given details of Elizabeth’s motives, the way Maria was called as protector and about how AJ’s destiny is determined by the choices he makes by the time he is 18. I feel they were all essential details but kind of wish the book was full length and had a little more happen in it.

The writing was easy to read and flowed well, though I felt the end was very abrupt and left me turning the page expecting to find more, none was there and I wonder how many books will be in this series before we reach it’s conclusion.

The Skeletons Of Birkbury
The Skeletons Of Birkbury
Price: 4.11

4.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 Stars, 14 Mar 2014
Skeletons of Birkbury by Diana J Febry

3.5 Stars

Skeletons of Birkbury is a murder mystery set in the Cotswolds and puts me in mind of Midsomer Murders or Inspector Morse. The scene is idyllic but the discovery of old bones in a field brings a drama to the usually peaceful village.

I’m not a huge fan of English ‘detective’ novels, they often feel tame next to their American counterparts and this was no different. The prose was overly descriptive, almost poetic and I found it irritating in parts. The story tended to drift off point and lose focus, leaving me to want to skip past the waffle and get to the relevant bits. I wasn’t particularly interested in the lives of Fiona and Peter, I wanted to know how and why this body appeared here and not that Peter had a miserable marriage.

My issues with this book are more to do with my taste than anything else. It isn’t a bad book it just wasn’t ‘gritty’ enough to keep me engaged throughout, but there are many readers out there who enjoy this style and I would recommend it to that audience.

Nate Rocks the City
Nate Rocks the City
Price: 1.87

5.0 out of 5 stars superb book for children, 14 Mar 2014
Nate Rocks The City by Karen Pokras Toz

5 Stars

Nathan Rockledge is a young boy who loves to draw and sees himself as a superhero. As he goes around his normal day he often finds his mind wandering, and his pencil moving as he sketches himself into adventures that make his life more exciting. This instalment of the ‘Nate Rocks Series’ sees Nate as he travels to New York City on a school trip and is the last book of the set.

Nate’s adventures include, saving one of Tommy’s family heirloom’s by attacking the burglars with a barrage of base balls. Saving a classmate from a deadly spider bite by catching it in his underwear, Ideal little boy humour! and using his Mums meatloaf sandwich to catch the ‘Birdinator’ at the zoo, Nate’s Mum is a terrible cook!

Nathan takes his inspiration from everyday events that happen around him and the stories are fantastic for encouraging the young to use their own imaginations. The characters are relatable for the target audience and the language used is suitable for the 8-12 years age group.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20