Profile for Skadhauge > Reviews

Content by Skadhauge

Skadhauge

Page: 1 | 2
American Dreamer: The Life and Times of Henry A. Wallace (Norton Paperback)
American Dreamer: The Life and Times of Henry A. Wallace (Norton Paperback)
by John C. Culver

5.0 out of 5 stars It gnaws at me how easy it has been for conservative thinkers, 10 Sept. 2014
It gnaws at me how easy it has been for conservative thinkers, of both major parties, to destroy the careers (indeed, lifes) of people they simply didn't like, by saying "communist". Henry Wallace was a man who didn't put power or money first, but had genuine empathy for his fellow man, for this he was branded everything from socialist to traitor by people claiming to be leaders of the free world.

The book is well written and shines the light on a man that could have done so much more if given the chance. A must read for anyone who teaches american history and a should read for anyone with an interest in it.

Christmas at Claridge's
Christmas at Claridge's
by Karen Swan

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT what it says on the tin.., 5 Dec. 2013
The combination of snow, Big Ben and the word Christmas, you'd expect a warm Christmas novel set in jolly ol' England. Parts of is indeed set in London, during winter no less - but Christmas I can not find in it.

The main character has a personality that ranges from childish to selfish for 450 pages that I really really wished the obvious happy ending wouldn't happen for her. - But that is not a bad thing in itself, at least that shows that I was emotional involved in the writing (just not, i think, in the way the writer intended it). And I don't care that the book could have been 120 pages shorter simply by removing sentences that deals with the clothes people wear and how they wear them - clearly I'm not the targeted audience and it's the writers choice.

But I cannot and will not forgive that they sell this of as a Christmas novel, 'cause it simply isn't - that's like the Hobbit being sold as a documentary on the food industry, because the Dwarfs clears the dishes. Stop exploiting the holiday season for a quick buck and call it the Christmas spirit.

Liverpool - End of Season Review 12/13 [DVD]
Liverpool - End of Season Review 12/13 [DVD]
Dvd ~ George Riley

3.0 out of 5 stars Good enough at the cost, 1 Nov. 2013
I reviewed last years edition, and that mainly dealt with the fact that it is a tried and tested formula they run these season DVDs by. As they re-use their setup, I was inclined to re-use my review, but I won't.

I would gladly pay £4-5 more if it meant a bit of features on the DVD. Especially I wish they would show highlights from some (not all) of the u21 and u18 games and spice it up with some player presentations of the highly touted youngsters. I'm sure that every supporter has his/her own view on what features that could be included and you can't please us all, but you could try.

If you only buy them as a collection of goals, then your money is well spent.

Star Wars Republic Commando: Hard Contact (Star Wars Republic Commando 1)
Star Wars Republic Commando: Hard Contact (Star Wars Republic Commando 1)
by Karen Traviss

4.0 out of 5 stars Good start to a series, 16 Oct. 2013
I liked the introduction to the characters in this book, Karen Traviss drives home her opinion on the characters without it becoming bothersome.
The Republic Clones are such an interesting subject to handle due to the intense debates there has been in the "real world" about cloning, set in the SW Universe it gives the author a possibility to imagine the problem from another viewpoint (or two). I especially like how the "same man" (the Clone Troopers) gets to be so different, and I guess you could have great wide debates on Nature versus Nurture on the background of this.

Going from a more Jedi-inspired reading to a series that deals with military troopers you do find yourself losing some of the Sci-fi fantasy of Star Wars and instead thinking of military action from whatever Hollywood war movie you last saw.

All in all it was a good read and I'm already halfway through the sequel.

Doublju Mens Casual Double PEA Wool Half Trench Coat Jacket GREY(868)  X-Large / EU Large
Doublju Mens Casual Double PEA Wool Half Trench Coat Jacket GREY(868) X-Large / EU Large

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice product, great service, 16 Oct. 2013
Not only did it get to Denmark within a week, I didn't have to pay for packaging on this order - although the product is the most important for me, things like that is simply an added bonus that makes me keep coming back to amazon.co.uk.

The jacket itself is elegant and light, yet it seems warm. A little on the short side in the sleeves, but had I ordered a large model it wouldn't have had the snug fit that I like.
The design, especially around the collar is great, giving you a choice to button it all the way up or leaving it open like a traditional pea coat.

The Instigator: How Gary Bettman Remade the NHL and Changed the Game Forever
The Instigator: How Gary Bettman Remade the NHL and Changed the Game Forever
by Jonathon Gatehouse

4.0 out of 5 stars Behind the scenes, 4 Oct. 2013
While I have never been in a position to boo Gary Bettman, I've certainly understood many of those that have. Whether it is a lack of transparency from the NHL top or the media is doing a bad job of reporting events, Bettmann has gained a reputation for being someone not in tune with the game and especially its (Canadian) fans. And in this last lockout I generally stood behind the NHLPA, thinking the owners (and Bettman) was the greedier of the two sides

After reading this book I have a new found respect for Bettman, the job he does and how he in reality protects the best hockey league in the world. It covers a lot of ground, from franchise re-locations, finances and disciplinary concerns in the game.

One thing I didn't like is the amount of numbers being thrown around, the finances are a big part of what Bettman has done right, but at a point I simply don't care if a cable network deal has gone up $300.000 over 4 years. However you can easily skip these parts if you wishes.

Subbuteo Liverpool Team Set
Subbuteo Liverpool Team Set

4.0 out of 5 stars Great design, 4 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Subbuteo Liverpool Team Set (Toy)
The base on these players make it a lot easier to control the players than the original that came with the game. The detail is all-right but not stunning.

Enjoyed them enough to buy the Celtic team set as well - now I just need a stand that can belt out "You'll never walk alone" before my Battle of Britain games.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 19, 2014 9:07 PM BST

Notre Dame's Happy Returns: Dublin, the Experience, the Game
Notre Dame's Happy Returns: Dublin, the Experience, the Game
by Brian O Conchubhair

4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 24 Sept. 2013
This book is absolutely stunning and even if it can't make up for the fact that I didn't get tickets for the game I was delighted that this was made.

There's a good bit of text about the connection between Notre Dame and Ireland and a lot of it was unknown to me. The highlight of the book is the pictures of course, they are in great quality and there is nice variety in the subjects.

However, and this is the only reason I don't give it five stars, I wish there had been a few more pictures of the teams, both on and off field.

NHL 13 (Xbox 360)
NHL 13 (Xbox 360)
Offered by rockaway-records

5.0 out of 5 stars Franchise game with a no-trade clause!, 16 Oct. 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: NHL 13 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
If I hadn't played this game and had to review NHL 12 today, I'd probably still give that 5 stars as well and there certainly are a few tweaks that makes this years edition better than the last.

With the new skating system in place it's an absolute joy blasting by defenders with speedsters like Gaborik, Grabner etc.
In HUT it's become a little easier obtaining EA Pucks, so you don't come up short on contracts if Online Players, who don't like losing, disconnects mid-game.

The GM Connected Mode is my favorite - mixing online play, banter with friends and my former fav "Be a GM".
The only slight tweak I would make is valuation of 1st round draft picks, the AI trades them away for next to nothing, which is hardly realistic.

If you're starting to feel that NHL lock-out getting to you, I'd recommend you get this game.

Fable: Blood Ties (Fable Novel)
Fable: Blood Ties (Fable Novel)
by Peter David
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars Met my expectations, 16 Oct. 2012
The book is well written and the use of humor is balanced perfectly.

The relationship between characters can be a little superficial and the plot is hardly mind-blowing.
But when I read this sort of book I'm really just looking for a action-packed story set in a universe I know and love and at that, this book succeeds.

Obviously, fans of the game will get more from this book than non-players, but as an fairly easy read fantasy novel I think most people should get something from it.

Page: 1 | 2