Profile for R J Fieldsend > Reviews

Content by R J Fieldsend

R J Fieldsend (Cambridge, Cambs United Kingdom)

Crayola Nail Party - A Nail Salon Experience
Crayola Nail Party - A Nail Salon Experience

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit limited until you pay for it., 13 April 2015
The app was advertised as free, but my daughter was very disappointed initially as she could only do three nails per time. She is happier now I have paid, but I felt the product was advertised under false pretences.

Head Up! - With Tips & Tricks!
Head Up! - With Tips & Tricks!

1.0 out of 5 stars rip off. don't waste your money., 1 Mar. 2015
Bought this assuming it was the heads up game which my daughter wanted.
It is not. It is just a series of links to youtube videos.

Sudoku
Sudoku

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent implementation of sudoku., 27 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Sudoku (App)
The important thing with a tablet game is that the implementation doesn't get in the way. This game does just that.

Gradle in Action
Gradle in Action
by Benjamin Muschko

4.0 out of 5 stars Full of useful information. A little slow to get going., 24 April 2014
This review is from: Gradle in Action (Paperback)
I am not a full time programmer. I dabble a bit in a range of languages, so I come across various build tools and systems. I have to admit the fact that managing Java builds was such a pain 'by hand' is one of the reasons that I haven't used it much as my language of choice.

This book sets out to persuade you that Gradle is the answer to your build manager prayers. It does this initially by discussing the other 'big boys' on the block (Ant and Maven). It spends what feels like a long time talking about the shortcomings of Ant and Maven. As I have recently encountered a project that is managed by Maven I felt the pain!

Eventually, having determined what build managers should do by highlighting the others failings, the book gets to Gradle, and gives a good guide on how to go about working with this system.

As I say, I don't have anything that needs managing with Gradle right now, but I know I will have a book that 'has my back' when it comes time to use Gradle in anger.

Thinking with Type: A Critical Guide for Designers, Writers, Editors, and Students (Design Briefs)
by Ellen Lupton

4.0 out of 5 stars For the text geek., 4 Jan. 2013
I have long been fascinated by printing, font design and the like. This is a great book for indulging that interest.

Txt Msg
Txt Msg
Offered by positivenoise

4.0 out of 5 stars Synths Rule!, 28 May 2003
This review is from: Txt Msg (Audio CD)
I picked up this single when I saw Vic Twenty supporting Erasure on tour. The sound is wonderfully retro, reminiscent of early Depeche Mode, Flock of Seagulls, _really_ early Human League and a whole load of others, but the lyrics are very 21st century.
If you've ever been a fan of the above bands, ever known what a Moog is (outside of Willo the Wisp!) or you were a schoolkid in the mid eighties then this single will make you smile!
Buy It! Lets get some decent music out there again!