Profile for ShotoTiggs > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Amazon Music with Prime Music
Amazon Music with Prime Music

3.0 out of 5 stars Content is great. Shame about the crashes., 2 Dec. 2015
I've used the Amazon music player as my main access to music for a while. My phone is my mp3 player in the car and it has been working great. Like others, when prime music came along it was too good to be true. I quickly found new music and old music I had on cd but could now download for free. I can't praise the content of the app enough. The problem is ever since the upgrade to prime I've found using it is a real hit and miss experience, mostly miss, due to the number of crashes.

As a player it's fine, especially now deleting a song no longer goes back to the start of the first one on the list if you happen to be listening as well. It's easy to use and there are no hidden charges or surprises so you know what you'll be charged and when. I love the x-ray lyrics feature too, it's a nice feature to add. If only it would stop crashing. It speed for a while but in a regular basis, every time I select a playlist or an album I am met with a familiar pop up - unfortunately Amazon music has stopped. Back to home screen. So I try the search again but choose a different song or playlist thinking maybe that one had been removed but no, exactly the same thing happens again. Five minutes later everything works smoothly.

I know what you're thinking. It's my phone. Well I've tried reinstalling it, making sure nothing else is running and that I've got a good signal. No difference at all and none of my other apps do it. This one didn't until the prime library appeared.

So, in short, a great app that gets a lot of use from me, but there appears to be a bug or two lurking around somewhere.

The Underland Chronicles Collection Suzanne Collins Gregor 5 Books Set (Gregor the Overlander, Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane, Gregor and the Curse of the Warmbloods, Gregor and the Marks of Secret, Gregor and the Code of the Claw)
by Suzanne Collins

4.0 out of 5 stars Forget Hunger Games, read these instead, 4 Jun. 2014
Believe it or not, it was my Dad who got me to read these after he tripped across them. I read these before I read the Hunger Games and in my opinion the stories are far more imaginative and interesting than the more famous series. If the main character was a teenage girl, maybe this series would get the attention it deserves.

Gregor is a young boy living in New York with his mother and siblings. His father disappeared years earlier. While doing laundry, his younger sister Boots falls into a vent and Gregor follows, discovering the world of the Underland. The start is basically Alice in Wonderland; in fact, that's where Suzanne Collins got the idea. The world is populated by pale people and there are giant cockroaches, rats and bats; the latter of which are used as mounts. They can all speak as well so have characters of their own.

The Underlanders live by a hall full of prophecies they believe tell what will happen in their world and they think Gregor is the subject of one of the prophecies and he and a band of Underlanders must go on a quest to decide the fate of the Underland. Each novel features a different quest and a different prophecy but the plots carry on from each other so you can't read them in the wrong order.

I couldn't read all five of these in one go but if you read one or two at a time, the series is fine. There are enough creepy and violent bits to keep young adults intrigued but nothing is too scary. I'd recommend these books for 10/11 year olds and up. Any younger and it might be a little too much. Well worth reading for adults as well and it's a shame that this series isn't more well known in the UK. If you or your child likes adventure and peril, this is a good bet.

Despicable Me: Minion Rush
Despicable Me: Minion Rush

4.0 out of 5 stars addictive and fun, 27 April 2014
This review is from: Despicable Me: Minion Rush (App)
This is a game to kill a few hours. It does get repetitive but in short doses is a lot of fun.

Mind Games, The Times Box (Calendar 2014)
Mind Games, The Times Box (Calendar 2014)
by Carousel Calendars
Edition: Calendar

2.0 out of 5 stars More Mind Games than intended, 6 Jan. 2014
As others have said, there are some serious errors in this calendar. It's Monday 6th January and both crosswords have been wrong. One had the wrong solutions and the other had clues that don't match the grid. I've had a random flick through and couldn't find any others but it's still disappointing that two puzzles so early and so close together are wrong. It's not even as if the grids are the same but the answers don't match; they're completely different patterns. A quick check on the patterns in the grid would have been enough to notice this error.

Assassin's Creed III (Exclusive Edition)[PS3]
Assassin's Creed III (Exclusive Edition)[PS3]
Offered by Trade-N-Go Gaming

3.0 out of 5 stars More of the same...and I mean the game AND the review, 15 May 2013
A tried and tested formula here with some of the old flaws still apparent, plus some new ones.

The bits most other people have said were relevant for me too. Connor is boring, bland and completely one-minded. His father is far more charismatic and fun to play and shines in his small role so much that when he returns later on I wished I could play him instead of his dull offspring. The tidbits of history were as interesting and well researched as always (am I the only one who actually reads them?) but it was still boiled down to English bad, American good. Also, being a Scot, I was surprised how many of the enemy army men were Irish and Scottish. Yeah, there would have been some but I reckon the game has a disproportionate number of them being non-English. Maybe to add some colour that was otherwise lacking.

The stealth system is just as much fun but the fighting I found difficult. The guards sometimes spot you when you simply walk past a row of them and escaping after they've seen you can be either seriously difficult or takes you miles away from where you wanted to go. On that, even with the points in the city and beyond you can fast travel to, there's a fair amount of wandering around, often you pick up a mission in one area of the map only to find the objective is at the opposite end.

Outside the city, I disliked the addition of hunting, made even worse when some objectives to gather certain skins are only acheived when you sell them to a particular merchant, a point I didn't realise until pretty late on. Finally, although running through the trees was great, I found that a few times I had to run around a huge mountain to find something I could climb on. This may have been my skills but the starting point for paths isn't always easy to find, low branches being just out of reach from the ground.

The Desmond sections were quite dull, but then again they usually are. I was slightly disaapointed at the end but with the way things pan out I wasn't too surprised. I am surprised at the announcement of another game though but I guess Ubisoft doesn't want to let go of their cash cow yet.

In saying that, there are things I enjoyed. I loved the pirate sections and there was far more variety in the secondary missions than before, although some of them are a drag. The secondary objectives added a second challenge to missions, some of which were easy and some were damned near impossible.

All in all I don't regret buying or playing the game. Ezio was far better but the gameplay was good, if repetitive. It's always been a feature of the AC games though so I wouldn't cite the repetitive nature of the game as its biggest failing. For me, it's biggest problem was Connor, the over-eager guards and the missions being scattered all over the place more than necessary. If the game had been played with Haytham the whole way through I think it would have been far better, but an English character wouldn't have suited the tone of the plot the developers went for.

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (PS3)
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (PS3)
Offered by passionFlix UK

4.0 out of 5 stars I even like the hacking sections!!, 15 April 2013
Well, it's a first. Hacking sections in a Sly game that don't make me groan whenever they start.

I wasn't sure about the general look of the game at first, Sly especially looks...different. I got used to it though and I think the voice for Carmelita is the best so far. Playing around with the ancestors is fun too, although uncessary. The characters are great, some of the tasks are good fun so the game isn't as repetitive as some previous ones. Even the hacking sections have had life breathed into them so they're not quite half as frustrating. Some of the one liners are brilliant making the game as funny as ever, if not more so. Especially sir Galleth; he's classic. Finally, there's some nice touches like updating the familiar slide shows to something shown on a touch screen, complete with sweeping action to change the pictures.

If I had to say two bad things they would be
1. The boss fights - Some of them are stupidly difficult at first but with all of them once you get the hang of the pattern they're fine. There are a couple where the fight goes so quickly it takes a few deaths before the pattern can be figured out.
2. The trophies - Everything collectible is back; clue bottles, treasures and safes, and to get the platinum trophy you have to get all of them, and more because the treasures open up arcade games in the hideouts and you have to beat the top scores on them too. While this isn't a game breaker it certainly makes maxing out the game more time consuming than the previous ones so it might frustrate younger kids. Or, it may entertain them for even longer so this one is only a teeny niggle compared with how easy the others were to max out.

In short, if you're a Sly fan, get this. Even if you're not, don't dismiss it off hand. It's a charming, fun and light hearted game that's well worth a go for all ages.

Kolay Leather Flip Case Cover with Screen Protector and Stylus for Galaxy S3 i9300 - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Good quality with two major design flaws, 4 Sept. 2012
Yes, you get what you pay for. The pen is nicely designed and very effective and I don't have a problem with the border on the screen protector. The case is of good quality and looks very stylish.

BUT

Whose idea was it for the case to open from the bottom of the phone and not the top? They've very nicely left cut-outs for the buttons on the inside of the case and for the camera on the back so turning the phone round is impossible. You can't even fold the flap back on itself because, ironically, the quality of the case means it doesn't fold very well.

AND

What bright spark decided not to make a cut-out for the charger? I cut a little hole in mine to let it fit. Before I did that the phone had to be charged with the flap open so I was woken at 4:30 in the morning by it flashing bright white. Nice one, design team!!

L.A. Noire (PS3)
L.A. Noire (PS3)
Offered by Gameseek

4.0 out of 5 stars It's the little details that count, 25 May 2011
This review is from: L.A. Noire (PS3) (Video Game)
And that counts for the good as well as the bad.

Plot - Set in 1947 you play a former decorated officer in the WWII who is now a traffic cop in LA. You start out investigating a street shooting and a hit and run but after a few cases you get promoted to Homicide, Vice and Arson. Your tutorial is done as a beat cop, which is where the five desks come in. Some desks have more cases than others and some cases carry over into later desks as the stories become intertwined a bit but each individual case is its own; you don't use evidence in one case to prosecute someone in another one.

Dialogue - At times the dialogue is a little OTT clichéd but most of it is pretty engaging and interesting and the banter between you and your partner can be funny at times because most of them believe different things to the main character.

Gameplay - I don't like GTA games, I'll say that right now. But this is not a GTA game; don't be fooled by Rockstar being involved. There is some driving involved though, with the familiar round circle of a map in the corner but that's it, and you can get your partner to do the driving if you like. The bulk of the game is finding clues and interviewing witnesses and suspects. The controller vibrates slightly when you find a clue, although this can be switched off if you fancy a bigger challenge. You use the clue to interview people, either believing them, thinking they are lying but not having evidence, or having evidence to prove them to be lying (Truth, Doubt and Lie are the options you pick, if you pick lie you have to pick the piece of evidence). The process of investigating cases does get a little repetitive in that they usually involve driving to a location, looking for clues, interviewing someone, rinse and repeat until you can charge someone. But the cases themselves are very varied which keeps your interest peaked. BTW if you do drive and you hear a sketch with a married couple talking on the radio, stop and listen to it. It's pretty funny.

Driving - I've heard varying opinions on this; some people think it's very solid but personally I found it too sensitive. Your partner will give you directions, which is a nice touch. If you have your siren on cars move over, which is an even better touch. On the other hand if you cross a crossroads, turn round in the road or try to go round a car that's turning it doesn't do a thing to stop a collision a lot of the time, which often scuppers car chases because the car you are chasing manages to go round everything. Also, if your partner drives you don't get the extra street missions but you can drive around until you get one coming up, get out of the car and then ask your partner to drive. I have one niggle about the street missions; they always seem to come up in the opposite direction to where you are travelling and they are often miles away so there's a lot of backtracking.

Graphics - Yes, the face animation is brilliant. Many of the characters are instantly recognisable. The scenery is very detailed, as are the cars. The traffic lights have little Stop and Go signs, the cars indicate when they turn. The detail when you're tracing over a notebook in pencil is well done. But it's not universal, there are points that don't look quite as good. They are only minor details though, you won't notice unless you're looking for them.

All in all a great storyline, it looks good and you can avoid the driving sections if you want to, which had put me off this game a bit. Big marks for good characters and engaging cases. Points off for small irritations like the street crimes being miles away from your location and the driving being a bit too sensitive.

Dragon Age 2 (PS3)
Dragon Age 2 (PS3)
Offered by SC-WHOLESALE

3.0 out of 5 stars Who are you again?, 1 May 2011
This review is from: Dragon Age 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
I really enjoyed Dragon Age: Origins and as this is a follow up it is impossible not to make comparisons but I'll try to keep them to a minimum. I think Dragon Age 2 is a worthy follow up to the first outing but there are differences that some people will like and some won't.

Plot - The plot in this game is very simple; you are a refugee in Kirkwall after fleeing Lothering, the village destroyed in Origins. Animosity develops between the mages, who want freedom, and the templars, who want to keep mages under control. There are probably just as many side missions to do but the game is split into three sections without as many main plot missions to do at a time which makes it feel more it feels more linear.

Characters - The characters are my big sticking point in this game. They were arguably better written, but I found the characters in Origins were more memorable. I spent quite a while in Origins working to stay on the good side of the characters I liked but this time around I didn't care quite as much because none of them really appealed to me, partly because of their flaws. They've all been written with some motivation that drives them, sometimes too far, but the ones with the biggest obsessions are the ones you're supposed to try to have a relationship with and there weren't any I could take a real shine to. The interaction works in much the same way though; your choices get you either rivalry or friendship, and many of the companions are very clear cut in their opinions; most favour either the mages or the templars so most decisions will make one happy and another unhappy. Also, some fo the banter between your companions can be quite funny.

Gameplay - Gameplay is very similar to Origins, but slicker. The battle system is more or less the same, as is the level up system, but they are easier to use. Knowing what weapons and accessories is easier too because you are given stars so you know what's best for your character.

Graphics - The graphics are the same look as Origins, not better but no worse. The game freezes less though, which is obviously good. The music isn't that noticeable unless you've paused the game, but when I was aware of it I thought it was good.

All in all I found Dragon Age 2 to be very enjoyable and almost as good as Origins. The gameplay was familiar, and it's odd how much better having your character speak makes things. The plot is easier to follow and this game does have less niggles, namely it doesn't freeze. On the other hand you're led a lot more rather than being able to do things whenever you liked and the characters are less memorable.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 4, 2011 1:04 PM BST

Little Dorrit [DVD] [2008]
Little Dorrit [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Claire Foy

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't wait for the next episode even though I could see where it was going, 21 April 2011
This review is from: Little Dorrit [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I haven't read the novel of Little Doritt because although I enjoy adaptations of Dickens I find it difficult to read his novels. That said after watching this adaptation I may give it another go.
The novel charts the rising and falling fortunes of its characters, mainly Little Amy Doritt, her father and Arthur Clennam but even the smaller characters are well fleshed out and complex. For me the best acted parts were from Amy's sister Fanny, their father and Rigaud, the Frenchman who plagues everyone he meets. These characters seemed more interesting than Amy and Arthur who, in comparison, seem quite bland at first.
At first I thought several of the characters were almost like cartoons, the clichéd girl and man too good for their surroundings, the evil rent collector, the man going a bit insane in prison, the snobby sister and good for nothing brother, the even more evil Frenchman. But as the story goes on even the smaller part characters are fleshed out and everyone is given a more rounded personality. At times of crisis the true measure of a person is revealed, and that certainly happens in this. The only parts that confused me a bit were I couldn't quite figure out where Miss Wade and Harriet/Tattyclorum fit into everything, especially the latter, but maybe their parts are clearer in the novel. We find out Miss Wade's part a little in the last episode but her motivation isn't explained as far as I can remember. The plot was not hard to follow, so much so even without reading the book I could see where it was going, but I enjoyed it so much I didn't care.

Production wise I thought the look of the show was wonderful, from the run down look of the prison and Arthur's mother's home to the sumptuousness of Venice and the homes of the wealthier people. The shift in everyone's fortunes are at times subtle and at times devastating and this is shown in their actors' demeanour, and dress.
Highly recommended for any fan of Dickens or period dramas.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 14, 2013 6:52 PM BST