Profile for Mrs. M. J. Rimmer > Reviews

Content by Mrs. M. J. Rimmer

Mrs. M. J. Rimmer (Cheshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2
The Higgidy Cookbook: 100 Recipes for Pies and More
The Higgidy Cookbook: 100 Recipes for Pies and More
by Camilla Stephens

5.0 out of 5 stars Top-notch recipe book, 23 Feb 2014
I've made 4 recipes from the book now (2 meaty and 2 vegetarian) and they were all absolute stunners. Really first-rate. However they are a bit long-winded. Perfect if you want to spend a whole day baking and end up with something spectacular for your effort. Not a good match if you just want to knock up something quick for supper - but if that's what you want you can always buy Higgidy pies at the supermarket.

Heavy Duty Stapler (110 sheets) All metal Design extra leverage soft-grip handle and non-slip base, Modern & Stylish Black/Blue *SPECIAL OFFER* 1000 FREE 23/15 Heavy duty Staples & FREE staple extractor
Offered by Relyonus Stationery Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Goes through 100+ sheets with ease, 3 May 2013
I have struggled for years with a crappy stapler which added small amounts of irritation to my life every time I needed to use it. So I decided to buy a decent quality stapler that would hold together large wodges of paper and not annoy me every day. I'm really rather embarrassed by how happy this new stapler has made me. I called my 13-year-old daughter over to watch how easily it stapled together a stack of 110 sheets of paper. She rolled her eyes at me in contempt (which is her job as a 13-year-old girl) but it couldn't detract from my pleasure in a simple office gizmo which does what it is supposed to do. I wish I had bough one of these years ago.

Excuse Me, Your Life is Waiting: The Power of Positive Feelings
Excuse Me, Your Life is Waiting: The Power of Positive Feelings
by Lynn Grabhorn

1.0 out of 5 stars Claptrap, 17 Jan 2012
Ever wondered why some people are successful, happy, healthy, rich, whilst others suffer from illness, poverty, tragedy etc.? Did you think it had something to do with hard work, intelligence, lucky breaks, genetics, personal connections? Silly you! It is just about feeeelings (this is how the author always spells it). You just have to feeeeeel good and voila, the universe will obligingly deliver everything you want. Because, as we all know, getting everything you want is the way to be happy.

Obviously all those people starving in South Sudan need to buck up their feeeelings and the universe will magically deliver food and political stability to them. Whilst we in the affluent West must all have the right kind of good feeeeelings which explains why the universe delivered us the lion's share of the world's weath and other goodies like the internet and fish foot spas. Dear God...

I found this book profoundly depressing. I can't believe it made it to the New York Times bestseller list. My faith in humanity has never been so low.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 4, 2014 3:44 PM BST

Traditional Slow Airs of Ireland (Penny & Tin Whistle)
Traditional Slow Airs of Ireland (Penny & Tin Whistle)
by Tomas O'Canainn

1.0 out of 5 stars Great content, terrible binding, 22 Jun 2011
First of all I don't have any quibble with the content of this book which is excellent. However within a few minutes of flicking (gently) through the book, the glue of the binding cracked and split and the pages fell out in several chunks. Obviously this is undesirable in any book, but in a music book especially the binding is vital - a good music book should open completely flat and remain open when propped on a music stand. I am waiting to hear from Amazon customer service obout this matter, but in my experience they are helpful and accommodating and I fully expect to be offered a replacement. With luck the replacement will not suffer from the same fault.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 2, 2013 9:44 PM BST

The Night Before Christmas
The Night Before Christmas
by Clement Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful illustrations to this classic poem, 26 Dec 2005
It's a classic poem about Christmas, you must know it and either love or hate it already.
The illustrations in this version are very nice, based on typical buildings and scenery in New Hampshire, apparently. I especially enjoyed all the quilt references, since I make quilts myself. Each family member in the pictures has a traditional New Hampshire bed quilt, and the pictures themselves are each framed by quilt border designs.
Oh yes, my children like the book, too. The illustrations have a charming naive art style which complements the simple but effective doggerel of the poem, and gives a thoroughly American flavour (or should that be "flavor") to the book as a whole.

Cut-Loose Quilts - Print on Demand Edition: Stack, Slice, Switch and Sew
Cut-Loose Quilts - Print on Demand Edition: Stack, Slice, Switch and Sew
by Jan Mullen

5.0 out of 5 stars Made me want to make whacky quilts, 12 Jun 2004
This book made me want to drop all my current WIPs (works in progress) and start making whacky quilts immediately. I loved Jan Mullen's wonky quilt blocks, and I also loved her approaches to colour and quilting. I have used many of the techniques in this book. I would never lend this book out, and if I lost it, I'd buy another. Great book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 9, 2010 1:00 PM BST

Monkey and Baby at Home (Baby Power: Play with Me)
Monkey and Baby at Home (Baby Power: Play with Me)
by Barrie Wade
Edition: Board book

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun for very small children, 12 Jun 2004
My children loved this book and wanted to read it repeatedly. They were especially fond of it between the ages of about 9 months old, and 2 years or so. It alternates pictures of a toy monkey using objects in the wrong way, with photos of a real child using them correctly. My kids loved laughing at the monkey, shouting "Not like that monkey!", and telling me the correct use of the item.

McElligot's Pool (Dr.Seuss Classic Collection)
McElligot's Pool (Dr.Seuss Classic Collection)
by Dr. Seuss

5.0 out of 5 stars Imaginative and fun, 26 Sep 2001
One of the less well known Dr. Seuss books, this is nevertheless my 3-year-old son's favourite, and I have accidentally memorised it through repetition! I think he especially enjoys the subversive aspect - an imaginative and optimistic child makes a fool out of a literal-minded adult. As with all Dr Seuss stories, the words are funny and enjoyable to hear or say, and the illustrations are simple yet gloriously surreal.

Wonderful Life: Burgess Shale and the Nature of History
Wonderful Life: Burgess Shale and the Nature of History
by Stephen Jay Gould

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating and thought-provoking, 25 Mar 2001
This fascinating and thought-provoking book has two main stands; a description and (controversial) interpretation of some surprising fossils from the earliest period of multicellular animals, and an appeal to overturn the idea of evolution as a "cone of increasing diversity". Instead, Gould argues, evolution should be thought of as a "copiously branching bush".
All the while, he provides insights into what it is paleontologists actually *do*, and how theories about life and evolution develop and change over time.

Identities, Groups and Social Issues (Published in association with The Open University)
by Margaret Wetherell

4.0 out of 5 stars An unusual approach to the subject, 18 Oct 2000
Rather than reviewing the experimental study of social psychology, as would be more usual in an undergraduate textbook, this book takes a multi-perspective approach (where multi-perspective means, in practice, very social constructionsit oriented).
It sometimes comes across as too heavy-handed in its criticism of the cognitive/experimental tradition, but if you can overlook this, the book has some excellent insights to offer.

Page: 1 | 2