Profile for john > Reviews

john

The Caine Mutiny: Court Martial - DVD
The Caine Mutiny: Court Martial - DVD

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 4 July 2014
I was not able to play this - incompatible TV system setting.

The Moment of Christian Witness (Communio Books)
The Moment of Christian Witness (Communio Books)
by Hans Urs von Balthasar

5.0 out of 5 stars The heart of the matter illuminated, 6 Sep 2013
An accessible work by the greatest catholic theologian of the twentieth century. Two quotations from this masterpiece:-

'Therefore, let us take the lantern and perhaps we shall find among the great number of those who profess to be Christians a few who genuinely are!'

'Everything that I am (insofar as I am anything more on this earth than a fugitive figure without hope, all of whose illusions are rendered worthless by death), I am solely by Christ's death, which opens up to me the possibility of fulfillment in God.

Jesus of Nazareth: The Infancy Narratives
Jesus of Nazareth: The Infancy Narratives
by Joseph Ratzinger

5.0 out of 5 stars The third and final part of a masterwork, 24 Dec 2012
This cocludes Pope Benedict XVI three part work on Jesus of Nazareth. It is masterful and concludes a veritable masterwork.

Jesus of Nazareth: Holy Week: from the Entrance into Jerusalem to the Resurrection Pt. 2
by Pope Benedict XVI

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece, 31 May 2011
Pope Benedict XVI in this volume covers the period from the entry of Christ into Jerusalem to the Resurrection. It is a truly masterful presentation. The aspect which was seminal for me came in the section dealing with the washing of the disciples' feet on Maundy Thursday. Pope Benedict explains that often Christianity is seen as a higher moral standard than the old dispensation. eg Thou shalt not kill becomes do not get angry. But the Pope says the idea that Christianity ammounts to greater moral gymnastics is a misconception. The Christian way is the way of allowing Christ to cleanse us and purify us enabling Christ to live within and through us. I see the appreciation of this one point within this book to be life changing and transformative. (Why has no-one told me this before? This is the work of a master!)

The God Who Loves You
The God Who Loves You
by Peter J. Kreeft

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended., 15 Jan 2011
This review is from: The God Who Loves You (Paperback)
A very valuable contibution to the world of Christian faith. We often use the words 'God is love'. Do we grasp the profundity behind those simple three words? This book is a masterpiece illuminating the heart of the Christian faith and the secret of life's fulfillment.

I recommend this book to everyone.

The Encyclicals of John Paul II
The Encyclicals of John Paul II
by Pope John Paul II

5.0 out of 5 stars A great reference book., 31 Oct 2010
I bought the 2001 edition. A great reference book of 13 of John Paul ii 14 encyclicals. Includes his 13th encyclical Fides et Ratio dated 1998. (This major encyclical is missing from the earier edition.) Only his 14th and last,Ecclesia de Eucharistia, is missing from the 2001 edition, as this was written in 2003,after publication of this collection. Each encyclical is preceded by a summary and commentary which help in accessing the treasures within.