Profile for Beaniegirl > Reviews

Davina - Fit in 15 [DVD]
Davina - Fit in 15 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Davina McCall

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good, 14 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Davina - Fit in 15 [DVD] (DVD)
Didn't expect to really like this one as I thought it was going to be like Intense, which I found too fast to complete the moves safely and correctly. When I saw a used version on offer for less cost, I decided to try it anyhow as sometimes I don't have loads of time available to complete a long workout. Very glad I did as it is nothing at all like Intense - in fact, it is probably now one of my favourite Davina workouts! Each section is full of moves which are varied (not repeating whole sections as is often the case) so you don't get bored, and if there is any particular moves you don't like, you know that once you've done them they are are of the way......gone till next time. All of the moves are doable and not performed at a ridiculous pace as I found the case with Intense. The music is good too and although at times you need to go faster than the beat, I didn't find that to be too much of a problem. Lots of new moves and I particularly like the fact that the 15 minutes ab section is a combination of standing/kneeling and lying down exercises. Very good.

Brilliant Bread
Brilliant Bread
by (Baker) James Morton

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Bread Book, 21 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Brilliant Bread (Hardcover)
Couldn't wait for this book to be published and am not at all disappointed - it is a brilliant book on bread making. For those who don't know, James Morton was runner-up on the Great British Bake Off 2012 and, until then, was just an ordinary guy who had a passion for baking.

The book starts off with a foreword where James promises to guide you through the process of breadmaking from a simple white loaf to more elaborate bakes, and adds "if you have any problems, get in touch and I'll be happy to help you out". He then goes on to tell his modest tale of how he started baking bread and his journey to where he is now, followed by a description of each ingredient and its role in breadmaking. He states that anyone can bake good bread without the need for any fancy equipment - just hands and an oven (and maybe a dough scraper which can be purchased for a couple of pounds). All of the steps are explained clearly and in a friendly manner - it really feels as though he is talking you through them.

The chapters that follow start with the most basic breads, then goes through A Bread Revolution, Breads to Impress, Breads with Bits, Taking Time, Advanced Yeasted Breads, Sour, Doughs to Enrich your Life, Laminated Doughs and Nearly Breads. In all of the chapters, there are close up photographs of how the bread should look through the various stages, showing kneading, rolling and shaping and photos of the finished loaves (not a book full of irrelevant photos as some cookbooks seem to have) and each new challenge is clearly explained, including the reasons behind the process.

Certainly new bakers will find much in this book, but I also believe that experienced bakers will also - I have many books on baking, but have thoroughly enjoyed reading through this one and look forward to baking my way through it.

Tom Kerridge's Proper Pub Food
Tom Kerridge's Proper Pub Food
by Tom Kerridge

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Posh Pub Food!, 12 Sept. 2013
Luckily I borrowed this book from the library before purchasing because of reading former reviews. If I hadn't I too would have been very disappointed and looking to return it. From the title, I expected the book to contain all kinds of food readily available in pubs. I must frequent the wrong type of pub as this is certainly not the kind of food I have ever seen as pub food. Apart from maybe a handful of recipes, it is very upmarket - e.g.,

Duck Confit with blowtorched chicory and mash;
Ginger-braised ox cheeks with spiced red lentils and watercress yoghurt;
Jacob's ladder and braised carrots with bone-marrow bread pudding;
Wild rabbit and bacon with dandelion salad and wet polenta;
Pot-roasted pheasant, game chips and bread sauce;
Venison steaks with red cabbage and potato pancakes;
Venison, peppered sprouts, squash puree and chocolate sauce;
Hay-baked chicken and roasted celeriac;
Crispy pig's ears with truffle oil mayonnaise;
Game terrine glazed in port jelly with cranberry compote;
Blowtorched English lettuce, soft-boi9led egg and salted anchovy salad with homemade salad cream

to name just a few. Lots of the recipes require blow-torching and many take several hours to prepare or cook. I'm sure they will taste delicious if you have the equipment and time to prepare them and the book is lovely to look at and well put together, but the title of the book is very misleading - I would say this is the type of food you should expect in a high end restaurant, not a normal pub that normal people frequent.
Comment Comments (68) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2015 9:56 PM GMT

The Very Best Of
The Very Best Of

5.0 out of 5 stars The Very Best of Don Williams, 28 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Very Best Of (Audio CD)
Haven't really listened to Don Williams for a few years and then came across this CD full of all his hits and remembered how good he is. All of his most famous tracks are here and the sound of the CD is superb for such a low price - highly recommended.

A musical journey to the Caribbean and Mexico
A musical journey to the Caribbean and Mexico

5.0 out of 5 stars Marty Robbins at his best, 28 Mar. 2013
So glad I bought this CD - it is definitely one of my favourite Marty Robbins CDs. There are several tracks on here that I have never heard before. Some of the tracks are sung in Spanish and are just beautiful - can't believe I've never found this gem before. If I were to make one criticism it would be that some tracks are repeated on the CD - don't really understand why, but still great all the same. Recommended if you are a Marty Robbins fan.

David Haye's Box & Tone [DVD]
David Haye's Box & Tone [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Haye

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Workout, but Not all Boxing, 13 Feb. 2013
Done this workout for the first time today. During the warm-up I thought it was a little slow and, dare I say, easy - didn't really get my heart rate started.

The second section, Shadow Boxing, again was quite slow although it was good to be shown correct form for the punches and if you put in power behind the punches, you do get a good workout for your upper and midsection. This section is, as the title suggests, all about boxing moves.

The third section, Circuit Training, came as a bit of a shock after the first two. It was really hardgoing, especially if you elect to do the harder versions of the exercises. There are five exercises (mostly cardio - squats, star jumps, jumping squats, etc) at 30 seconds each with a short break between, which are repeated for 4 rounds. I started off doing the harder version for the first round, a few less for the second and by the fourth round, I was back to basic! To be fair, even his `helpers' who are incredible looking, rotated on doing the more intense versions. This felt more like HIT training - go all out for 30 seconds and then rest for a short while so the heartrate rises and then comes back down to go straight back up again. This section certainly works better than the Davina Intense DVD I bought at the same time, which is the same principle.

The third section, conditioning, is more squats, lunges, running man, etc. Again you do each exercise for 30 seconds x 4 with a break between. This section was not as hardgoing as the previous as it didn't involve as much cardio (that may just be me), but still kept my heart rate up.

Lastly, Abs & Core Strength. As the title suggests, this is about exercising those abs, Same format as previous section, but focused mainly on the plank (and versions of it) and crunches.

Finally, cool down.

I really enjoyed the workout as a whole, but it does not include as much actual boxing as I had envisaged, although saying that if the whole DVD had been like the first section (shadow boxing) I would have been bored and not found it challenging enough. Also, David Haye says that these are some of the exercises he uses to keep fit. The time went quickly (I did the whole workout) which is a good sign and it was rather nice watching David Haye! He explained the moves well, the pace was good and there were plenty of variations and levels which you could follow shown by the other guys and girls behind him so you could tailor the intensity to suit. The music was good, although it was more in the background than some exercise DVDs so didn't notice it as much. I would say that you do need to complete the whole DVD as I don't think that just doing the Shadow Boxing will have much effect.

All in all, a great workout, but if you want just boxing this may not be for you.

Davina Intense [DVD]
Davina Intense [DVD]
Dvd ~ Davina McCall

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs Previous Knowledge of Form, 25 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Davina Intense [DVD] (DVD)
I have all of the Davina fitness DVDs and if I had to rank them, this one would fall somewhere in the middle for me with Body Buff and High Energy Five being top. This one has good and bad points:

Good points - It raises the heart rate as it says. It doesn't get boring as there are plenty of moves and variations and the length (if you do the whole DVD) is good and achievable. There is a good mix of cardio, boxing moves, squats, abs and weights so everything is covered. I particularly liked the abs section.

Bad points - Some of the moves are done so fast (in the Intense Toning) section in particular that it is almost impossible to keep up with good form. I work out regularly to the likes of Davina and Jillian Michaels so feel I am fairly fit, yet struggle to do the squat kicks as fast as those shown whilst still getting low into the squat and kicking high. I also feel that some of the moves, unless you have done them before could actually cause injury at this pace. For this reason, I would suggest using another Davina DVD if this is your first time.

The music does not fit to the moves, which I find offputting. I find it a lot easier to exercise to the beat of the music.

Don't really like walking around for 2 minutes doing nothing but stare at a screen just displaying words. Whilst I realise the concept is to allow the heart rate to come down after the intense burst, surely a calm, gentle exercise would work better than just being left to get on with it. I feel a little cheated that so much of the DVD is just waiting around - this is particularly the case in the Intense Cardio Box section (the other sections are not so bad).

All in all, this is quite a good exercise DVD, but not Davina's best. Whether it works remains to be seen, but I will certainly keep doing it. I would say, however, that it is certainly not suitable if you have not done some of the moves before. You need to get the form right before attempting these moves at this speed.

James Martin - Desserts
James Martin - Desserts
by James Martin

1.0 out of 5 stars Recipes Don't Work, 20 Dec. 2011
Luckily I borrowed this book from the library before buying it. Although I would say I am a quite experienced amateur cook, all of the recipes I tried failed and I was left very disappointed. The recipes look nice, but what good is that if they cant be made following the instructions. If you have to adapt recipes and change them, you might as well write your own cookery book and save your money!!

Nadia Sawalha: Fat to Fab [DVD]
Nadia Sawalha: Fat to Fab [DVD]
Offered by joe4books

4.0 out of 5 stars Good But Not the Best, 14 Jan. 2011
After reading all the fab reviews for this workout, I was expecting something really special and was a bit disappointed overall with it.

First, if you own several other fitness DVDs (in particular the Davina ones) you will not find any new moves here; second, all of the hard work seems to be concentrated into the one section (High Energy Fat Burner), leaving the other sections a little too easy for me; and third, I don't find the trainer partcularly motivating or stimulating and there doesn't seem to be much instruction on the moves or why we are doing them.

The warm up section is good, although very little time is given to stretching your muscles for the onslaught to come. The High Energy Fat Burner section is what it says - High Energy!! You will certainly burn heaps of calories in this section and it is very hard to get through - I regularly do fitness DVDs but really struggled towards the end of this section.

The next two sections, however, were of a lot lower impact and I found them a little boring as I thought they were virtually the same, albeit one focussed on arms and one on core. I would have preferred to alternate the high energy sections with the lower impact sections rather than do all of the hard stuff and then all of the easy - but that is a personal opinion. The whole DVD is geared to strightforward exercises, rather than dance or boxing/kickboxing and I didn't find it as enjoyable or varied in content as some others I have so probably won't use it as much. I prefer the Hannah Waterman, Claire Nasir, Natalie Cassidy, The Firm and the later Davina ones.

That said though, it is a good fitness DVD if you don't already own lots of others, but I think there are better ones out there - the Claire Nasir one, for example, works you hard for the entire programme and you sweat all the way through, but the high impact parts are spread throughout rather than concentrating on one section making them more manageable (and apparently burning more calories this way, which is what we ultimately want).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 8, 2011 2:14 PM GMT

Clare Nasir's Boot Camp [DVD]
Clare Nasir's Boot Camp [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough but fun workout, 4 Jan. 2011
I have lots of exercise DVDs and really wasn't sure whether I should buy another one, but decided to go for it as the Dee Thresher workouts I have are my favourite and this one featured her, together with the same fitness trainer on the Hannah Waterman fitness DVD (which I also have and enjoy) - it had to be a winning combination.

It follows exactly the same format as the Hannah Waterman Body Blitz with 4 x 20 minutes of interval training (you don't have to do all of them at once if you don't have time) and is just as challenging. If you like the Hannah Waterman one, you should also like this, as it is just different enough to be able to alternate between the two (maybe using a shorter one on other days - the Davina Fit one is only half hour long for days when you haven't time and is still challenging, or one of The Firm ones).

The only thing I am disappointed with in this DVD is that I really like Dee Thresher (Natalie Cassidy, Letitia Dean and Charlie Brooks trainer) - in fact she is the main reason I bought this one - yet she doesn't run any of the sections. I think they could have used her more and maybe alternated between the two trainers to vary it a little more.

As for the DVD's claim to burn 1,000 calories doing this workout - I really don't think you could possibly burn that many calories in just over an hour however hard you try, plus there is a leaflet within the DVD to purchase anti cellulite pedal pushers which makes me even more sceptical. I would be interested to know how many calories can be burnt by the average person completing this workout if anyone out there has a calorie counter!!

This is, however, a good hard workout and I would recommend it.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 16, 2011 8:43 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2