Profile for Jane McCready > Reviews

Silent Running: Our Family's Journey to the Finish Line with Autism
Silent Running: Our Family's Journey to the Finish Line with Autism
by Robyn K. Schneider

5.0 out of 5 stars Awe-inspiring story, 17 May 2015
This is such an amazing book: to deal with severe autism (which my son has too) but then for her twins to find such success in marathon running is just awe-inspiring. Told with great honesty and a real page-turner too. A story of what sheer perseverance added to love can achieve.

Thinking Club: A Filmstrip of My Life As a Person With Autism
Thinking Club: A Filmstrip of My Life As a Person With Autism

5.0 out of 5 stars You have to buy this - quirky and honest account of growing up with autism, 17 April 2015
ABA and autism - an inside view

You have to buy this E-book! I have just stayed up way too late reading it cover to cover. Alex Lowery is a young man with hf autism and he tells us from the inside what his ABA and then VB programmes were like, plus loads about his developing skills of film-making, photography and public speaking. He writes with an original and honest voice of growing up with hf autism, including insights into stimming and overcoming struggles with seemingly inexplicable social 'rules'. It is honest, often funny and heartwarming. And only £3.93

A seat at the table: Families affected by Autism
A seat at the table: Families affected by Autism

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book about how UK kids with autism are getting ..., 15 Mar. 2015
Great book about how UK kids with autism are getting shortchanged, not getting the gold standard therapy that is offered in many other parts of the world (ABA). With poignant real life stories too

Jimmy, Me and Autism
Jimmy, Me and Autism

5.0 out of 5 stars New autism must-read - honest and moving. Boy's life transformed via ABA, 10 Dec. 2014
Just finished book, stayed up way too late as could not put it down: so good, so honest. And so much in there that I recognised - our boys with autism are the same age. The despair of severe autism and no help in the early years, the sheer monotonous days just trying to keep them safe, the noise, the meltdowns, the poo-smearing, the love. And then the ABA starting to teach him to communicate: the relief! Awful about his needing hospital treatment after neglectful school. Wow. Someone should serialise your book . A British "Let me hear your voice"?

Move with a Purpose: Addressing Common Behavior Issues on the Autism Spectrum Before they Grow out of Control
by Bobby Newman

5.0 out of 5 stars The ABA book all parents need, 9 Oct. 2014
This is the book we autism parents who use ABA have been waiting for: plain English, a real understanding of the issues we and our children with autism face, and even some humour. I was getting tired of jargon-laden tomes, and this spoke to me direct, yet is written by highly qualified ABA professionals.

Au Reservoir
Au Reservoir

2.0 out of 5 stars Yes I liked the book as much as his others and crave ..., 20 July 2014
This review is from: Au Reservoir (Kindle Edition)
Yes I liked the book as much as his others and crave new Lucias, but also not pleased with the ending. Bit of a cheek, I felt. For those who want something of a similar nature - quietly funny, elegantly written and very English - might I recommend 'I Beatrice' by Gillian Ageros?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2015 9:12 AM BST