Profile for Peter > Reviews

Content by Peter

Peter

Nero 11 Multimedia Suite (PC)
Nero 11 Multimedia Suite (PC)

2.0 out of 5 stars A big let-down after previous versions, 11 Aug 2012
If you have used previous versions of this product, please think very carefully before upgrading. Functionality has been removed and support do not seem to understand English queries very well.

I have previously used version 7 and upgraded because some of the features of this version are not compatible with Windows 7. My main uses for the software are for managing my PC backups and ripping/burning material to and from CDs and DVDs.

Let's start with the backup. My total file backup (music, pictures, documents etc) is about 350GB at present. Version 7 took about 40 hours to run and verify a complete backup. Version 11 took about six hours which seems to be an improvement. The problem is that the program crashes when trying to restore a file. (I work in IT so I know about such things as encryption, admin rights and so on and know that issues like this are not the cause of the problem.) If I run a smaller backup under similar conditions, to the same external drive and with the same admin rights and encryption, I can restore a file with no problems so it seems that version 11 is simply not up to the job. I also have use for the logs generated by the program, but the logs generated by version 11 have so little detail as to be useless and the forums tell me that Nero removed this functionality deliberately. Why?

The second gripe concerns ripping video from DVDs. I use the software to take material off DVDs to put onto my iPod. I would rip the main 'movie' and also other bits and pieces and, again, version 7 is fine for doing this. For some reason, version 11 will only rip the main movie. Again - why is functionality deliberately removed? If this is Nero's idea of progress, it certainly isn't mine.

The upshot of this is that nearly all the work that I use Nero for is still being done on version 7. I have only actually needed version 11 on two occasions - where I could not get a couple of video files to convert properly for my iPod.

I have emailed Nero support about these two issues. I didn't even get a reply to one of these emails and the reply I got to the other one was basically that they did not understand the problem and could I explain it more clearly. (Perhaps their English is not very good.)

I am looking for a replacement product that actually meets my needs. Please think very carefully before buying this product and I would strongly advise looking for an alternative.