Profile for Mel - London > Reviews

Content by Mel - London

Mel - London
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Cyberlink Media Suite 10 Ultra (PC)
Cyberlink Media Suite 10 Ultra (PC)

3.0 out of 5 stars Very comprehensive, but can be complex to use, 29 July 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have had issues in the past with Cyberlink software, and I am afraid this Media Suite proved to be rather problematic too. I could not get it to install on my old PC as it kept on displaying an Out Of Memory message. Having checked the product spec from the box I can now see why....it's simply huge. It is now installed on my laptop, but I simply cannot get manage to import some of my larger media files, despite having ploughed through on-line tutorials for hours. Having said that, the video editing functions are very good indeed, and I was amazed at some of the great SFX that you can use to enhance your movies. There are certainly a number of functions included here that are nice to have, but will probably be rarely (if ever) used. I simply couldn't get my head around some of them, so this package is obviously aimed at users with some previous experience, or who are more Tech minded than me. To be honest this software is far too comprehensive for my basic needs, so if you just want to undertake basic video editing, or store and play your media files, you may be better off with one of Cyberlinks lesser suites. There are also many free apps available that satisfy the requirements of most users. So, this is a good buy for the professional, or wannabe professional, but a little too much for the casual user.

Centennial [UK DVD] [1978]
Centennial [UK DVD] [1978]
Dvd ~ Richard Chamberlain
Offered by Direct-Offers-UK-FBA
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Arguably the greatest US mini series ever, 24 Jun 2012
This review is from: Centennial [UK DVD] [1978] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Centennial was a major TV event back in the late 1970s. Featuring a stellar cast, great performances and superb location photography. Beginning in the 1780's Colorado, the series traces the foundation and history of the fictional town of Centennial right up until the present day (well 1978 to be precise). I really can't recommend this series enough because it is a milestone in TV history, as well as being utterly fascinating and compulsive viewing. OK, the production may look a little dated at times, and this isn't helped by the so-so sound quality. The picture looks to have been remastered to some degree, but certainly not up to current standards. However, so impressive is the production that you can forgive these minor complaints. I seem to remember this series cost an absolute fortune when it was made, and today those costs would be prohibitive. So, we will probably never see it's like again. There were a lot of major US TV adapations of famous novels back in the 70's and early 80s (Roots,Rich Man Poor Man, Captains and the Kings, Shogun, Thorn Birds etc) but Centennial has always remained my favourite. I would have liked to have commented on the packaging of this box set, but unfortunately Amazon only sent 6 pre-production discs in white paper envelopes for me to review. However, if it's the same as the US Region 1 set, it will be nicely done. On the subject of the US and European versions of this boxset which have been available for several years, I cannot understand why it has taken so long for this series to get a release in the UK. I am very pleased that we now have it, and I urge anybody that has an interest in US History, enjoys Westerns, or just wants over 20 hours of compulsive viewing to buy this. If you saw it when it was originally screened, I am sure you don't need me to tell you how good it is. If you missed it, or are too young to remember, you are in for a treat. Keep a sharp eye out for a 17 year old George Clooney as an uncredited extra in one of his first TV appearances. Very highly recommended.

Cyberlink PowerDVD 12 Ultra (PC)
Cyberlink PowerDVD 12 Ultra (PC)
Offered by Accessory-Shop
Price: 59.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, I can't recommend this, 9 May 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Each time Cyberlink launch a new version of PowerDVD, it contains a host of new functions, most of which you are never likely to use. So, you end up paying a fortune for a piece of software that doesn't really give you a lot more than what you are already likely to have installed on your PC. I eventually got this package to load (after nearly 2 hours), and then had to wait a further 3 hours whilst it checked through the 2000+ media files I have stored on my hard drive. This was intensely irritating, because it slowed my PC down so much that I was unable to continue working. As someone has already pointed out, this software does not seem compatible with DIVX. That is absolutely ridiculous given so many people use it! Basically, once you have got past all the hassle of downloading and setting it up, this ULTRA package is just an oversized application with far too many functions. These functions seem to work reasonably well, but there are alternative packages available that don't cost nearly as much, are easier to operate, and offer pretty much the same versatility as PowerDVD 12 Ultra. To make things worse, a couple of days after installing this, my PC started to freeze up, meaning that I had to reboot it several times in the space of a couple of hours. I wouldn't normally blame software for doing this without evidence, but the problem stopped as soon as I deinstalled it. Nuff said!! It does what it says on the box, but I wouldn't recommend it.

BT Aura 1500 Single Digital Cordless Phone with Answering Machine - Black /Chrome
Price: 44.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Cheap, But Very Good Quality Phone, 9 May 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
You can probably buy a trio of phones with an answering machine for the price of this one handset, but I doubt it will be up to the quality of this one. Ideal for somebody not requiring multi-handsets, or someone who is happy to carry the handset around the house (it has great range, and crytal clear reception up to 100ft from the base unit). The phone has a very nice colour display, an excellent selection of ringtones, and a huge memory for storing names and numbers. The answering machine is also crystal clear when listening to messages, and that is something many machines fall down on. It was all a bit fiddly to set up, but it was well worth it. All in all an excellent telephone/answering machine, but I still think its a bit pricey - so 4 stars.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 27, 2013 9:15 PM BST

Life's Too Short - Series 1 [DVD]
Life's Too Short - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Warwick Davis
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 19 April 2012
I remember Ricky Gervais saying that if anyone expected this to be 30 minute episodes of jokes about dwarves, they were going to be very disappointed. Thats exactly what it was, and I (at least) thought it was very funny indeed. Full marks to Warwick for poking fun at himself, and turning in such a great performance. His delivery was so "Ricky Gervais" in nature that it could almost have been him playing the part. I really don't know how somebody couldn't find at least some of this hilarious. The cringey benefit dinner with Sting was superb, and the meetings with his ex-wife and her lawyer had me in stitches. Maybe I'm easily pleased, but speaking personally, I found this every bit as good as Extras, if not quite up there with The Office. I don't know whether we will see a series 2, but I hope we see more of Warwick as a comedy/straight actor.

Omron CaloriScan HJA-306 Professional Weight Management Activity Monitor - White
Offered by AHLplus
Price: 35.11

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of money, 29 Mar 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had hoped this would prove to be a useful tool - I was wrong. The results it gives are wildly inaccurate, and very often make no sense whatsoever. As this product is 1p shy of 50 I imagined it would do what it said on the box - i.e be a Professional Weight Management Activity Monitor. Trust me, it isn't, it is extremely frustrating and fiddly to use. To be honest, the only way you are likely to lose weight buying this expensive and pointless fashion accessory is that you will no longer be able to afford cream cakes and boxes of chocolates!!

Tyrannosaur [DVD]
Tyrannosaur [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Mullan
Price: 6.32

4.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly a feelgood movie!!, 29 Mar 2012
This review is from: Tyrannosaur [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Stunningly well acted, especially by Peter Mulan, this is a contender for the most depressing movie you are likely to see all year. It's so depressing, it has it's own morbid fascination. This is enough to keep you absolutely riveted to your seat throughout it's running time. This is the type of movie that could only be made in Britain, and how it managed to miss out during the recent awards season is beyond me, especially given some of the dross that did get recognised. Incredibly dark, poigniantly sad and funny too, this film is not for the faint hearted, but it is most definitely worth a watch. A real gem, even if it makes for painful viewing!

Babymoov Expert Care Baby Monitor
Babymoov Expert Care Baby Monitor

2.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed, 10 Feb 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These units are very small, and do not feel particularly well made. As for the claims made about "wave emissions" being detrimental to the health of babies - I think thats not only rather unlikely, but a pretty poor selling point too. The range of the units is given as 1000 metres, but my units managed to lose communication in under 50 metres. The sound quality is only average, and the cost of the Monitors is far too high. There are far better baby monitors available at much cheaper prices, so thiese are not recommended unless you can find them at a much reduced cost. Even then I'd think twice asbout buying.

Business Accountz Professional 2012 (PC/Mac/Linux)
Business Accountz Professional 2012 (PC/Mac/Linux)
Price: 199.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good package, 10 Feb 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Accountz Pro is aimed at small to mid sized businesses. It contains considerably more functionality than the rather basic Home Accountz package, and is less complex than the all singing/dancing Enterprise (large business) edition. This new 2012 edition is also great deal cheaper than its predecessor, and that makes it all the more attractive to those who want to save on accounting costs, and still be able to produce professional looking accounts. The software is easy to install and once you have familiartised yourself with the basics, easy to use. It is very versatile and flexible, and offers customers free updates for life. These updates cover such items as changes in the VAT rate, income tax rates etc. This is a great investment and guaranteed to save you money in a very short space of time. One of the most attractive properties of this software is its compatibility with different operating platforms. This gives it a distinct edge over much of the competitiuon. If you want to save money whilst still producing accurate and detailed accounting reports, Accountz Pro is a great investment.

Storage Options 53395 BabyCam Car Wireless In-Car Digital Video Baby Monitor with 3.5 Inch Screen

3.0 out of 5 stars In car baby monitor, 16 Jan 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I started off by thinking this sounded a jolly good idea, especially for parents of very young (naughty) children, or babies. Theres no denying it works well, but what looks like a great idea, doesn't necessarily make for a worthwhile purchase. Firstly, when young children or babies are restrained in car seats correctly, theres very little they can get up to that is likely to cause concern. If you feel there are still benefits to having "eyes in the back of your head", then a small/cheap self adhesive mirror mounted correctly should give similar reassurance at a tiny fraction of the cost. Having a 3.5 inch monitor mounted on your windscreen is needlessly distracting, and could obstruct your vision, particularly if you use it in conjunction with a screen mounted sat nav system. To be honest, I think this product is far more useful for home based applications. It can be used as video baby monitor, and also to keep an eye on kids playing if you are busy in another room. I cannot understand why the manufacturers are promoting it primarily for its least useful application - in a vehicle.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20