Profile for WitchoftheWest > Reviews

Content by WitchoftheWest

WitchoftheWest
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Turtle Beach Ear Force Stealth 400 Premium Fully Wireless Playstation 4, Playstation 3 and Mobile Gaming Headset

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed with these when used for gaming, 16 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am using these headphones with my PS4 and they are very good indeed. Nice lightweight construction, and great sound quality and clarity. What is particularly useful is the function that allows you to set the volumes of game play and chat independently. This works really well. The headphones also allow you to hear your own voice, which is great as I often end up talking/shouting louder than I intend to!! Very easy wireless set up and connection, and I have managed slightly more than 12 hours playing and chatting on a single charge. A USB cable is supplied to recharge the batteries, and this takes between 3 and 4 hours when connected to a PC. I had hoped these headphones would be an all in one solution, providing good sound when playing music and films, but I was rather disappointed by the results. The sound is OK, but certainly not on a par with headphones made specifically for that purpose. The reproduction doesn't sound true or natural. so I would not recommend buying these if you have anything other than wireless game play in mind. To be fair though, the Stealth 400's are marketed specifically for this purpose, and having used several other headsets over the last few years, they are definitely the best I have tried so far. For what you get the price is reasonable too, and the build quality seems to be first class. I am also impressed by how easy they are to wear and forget. Far too many headphones are heavy and cumbersome, leaving the wearer feeling hot and uncomfortable after a short period. I have worn the Stealth 400's for up to 10 hours at a time, and they are so comfortable that you can easily forget you are wearing them. So, they get a big thumbs up from me, and it's just a pity that I feel the need exists to have a second pair of headphones for listening to other media. Highly recommended all the same.

Mr. Goodlad Worker Complete, 15 Kg
Mr. Goodlad Worker Complete, 15 Kg

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent price, 11 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was a little sceptical about this dog food because of the low price, but both my dogs really seem to love it. It has decent protein values, but the fat content is a little higher than in the complete food I normally feed them. However, they both get plenty of exercise so it shouldn't be a problem. I would imagine that the fat content is the reason the product is specifically aimed at working dogs, and I wouldn't recommend feeding it to older dogs, dogs with health issues, or dogs that do not have regular long walks etc. Compared to other complete dog foods, this 15kg bag represents fantastic value for money, and the bowls I have put down for my dogs have been gulped down in record time, leaving none for our cats to steal. I will definitely buy this product in the future. Highly recommended!

Philips Disney Frozen Olaf Children's Pocket Torch and Night Light with Integrated LED (1 x 0.3 W)

3.0 out of 5 stars Another movie linked rip off?, 6 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I suppose it was inevitable that with the phenomenal success of the film, we were going to be bombarded with tie in products of all types this Christmas. Basically this is a cheap plastic torch with an LED bulb, featuring a picture of a character from Frozen (my daughters' tells me it's name is Olaf). Without the Philips name or the movie connection, you would probably shy away from this torch in a pound shop. You don't even get batteries with it, which frankly is a bit rich when you are paying best part of a tenner for it. The LED isn't terribly bright even when you have installed the batteries. OK for reading under the bed clothes, but not for much else. However, I have to put my feelings to one side and say that my 2 youngest daughters (7 and 5) fought over this torch - such is the power of advertising and movie based products. So, I base my rating on the enjoyment they have had from it, and the fact that at £8.99 it just about falls into the upper end of stocking filler category. Left to me, it would get discounted as an attempt by a reputable manufacturer to take advantage of kids and parents. Hiowever, if other kids like it as much as mine have, then you might consider the price worth paying. I'd give it one star, but the kids would say five, so we will split the difference and give it three.

Philips GC4522/00 Azur Performer Steam Iron - 210g Steam Boost, 2600 Watt
Philips GC4522/00 Azur Performer Steam Iron - 210g Steam Boost, 2600 Watt

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice design, good performance, 6 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This iron sits at the top of the Azur performer range as far as I can see and having owned one of the cheaper models for a few months, I was interested to see how it performed. For a start, it feels better quality, looks nicer, and heats up more quickly. It also generates more steam, although this means more trips to the tap to refill it. I'm not a fan of the side opening to fill these irons, nor am I terribly impressed at how frequently the refills are needed either. It is particularly annoying if you have a large pile of ironing to do. However, it is nice and light, and makes ironing a doddle. The 2M cord could do with being a little longer, but that seems to be standard length with most manufacturers today. Otherwise, I can't fault it, although I can't say it is substantially better than the cheaper model I already own. The better build quality is certainly worth taking into account though, because this model is likely to last longer, and is currently only a few pounds dearer than the lower spec irons in the Philips Azur Performer range. As with most modern irons it also comes with the de-calcifier and self clean built in. So, a very capable iron, although it is unlikely to convert me back from using the Philips Steam Generator System that I recently acquired.

Soybu Women's Trish Scarf - Candlelight, One Size
Soybu Women's Trish Scarf - Candlelight, One Size

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely scarf....but, 26 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Lovely high quality scarf from Soybu. The material is soft, and when the scarf is wrapped around twice it does not make you too hot. This is no doubt due to the breathable qualities of the material. I was a bit unsure of the colour, but it is fairly neutral, and goes with just about anything you might care to wear. I am concerned at the price being asked though. If you saw something like this on sale for £10 you would think it was a good buy, but at £20 you might well think twice. The £41.99 price tag is just mind boggling, although you are paying for quality, and a fashionable brand name. Unfortunately, the scarf arrived in a cheap plastic bag, which is something you would expect in a Pound Shop, but not from an item of this price. Maybe retail items will get better packaging, but if not then Soybu should address this to make it look more upmarket. So, a lovely winter accessory, but marred by the price tag and poor presentation.

Kensington KeyFolio Thin X2 Plus Wireless Backlit Bluetooth Keyboard with Hard Case and Auto Wake for iPad Air - Black - Frustration Free Packaging

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice piece of kit!, 16 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a superb ultra thin keyboard for the ipad air. It connects quickly and easily, and has a very responsive six row keyboard, including short cut keys. The keys have very effective LED backlighting, although it is probably this feature which results in a battery life which is rather less than other wireless keyboards I have used. I used this keyboard constantly for 7 hours, and it needed to be recharged. Recharging is carried out by either plugging the USB cable into an adapter and wall socket, or to the USB port of a laptop/PC. Recharge time is quicker via mains, although it only took 3 hours when connected to a USB port. A cradle supports the ipad air, and the keyboard has a built in sensor that cuts power automatically when not in use for a period of time. The ipad and keyboard fold together to make a very neat folio, and there is magnetic closure for additional safety. Power is shut off automatically on closure, and restored again on opening. This is not a cheap keyboard, and there are certainly many cheaper alternatives. However, the quality is superb, and it's ultra thin profile makes it far less bulky to carry around. the back lit keyboard may drain the battery power quicker, but it is a great feature to have, especially at this time of year with poor light and shorter days. So, a slight concern over battery life, but overall this is the best wireless keyboard I have used, and well worth paying the extra for.

Supa-Fix APX4 Ultra Strength Adhesive and Reinforcing Filling Powders
Supa-Fix APX4 Ultra Strength Adhesive and Reinforcing Filling Powders

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 16 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used Supa Fix on two small cracks on the front bumper of my car, and to repair a broken DVD headrest mount. This product is very easy to use, and drys rock hard in a few seconds. I was able to fill the two cracks in my bumper and sand down the overlap within five minutes ready for priming and painting. Now, within 24 hours, I have two repairs that are virtually invisible to the naked eye. So much better than conventional body fillers, but be careful not to get any on your hands, or on anything surrounding the item/area you are working on. Next, I tried the adhesive on the retaining arm of my in-car DVD headrest mount. This had snapped off completely when the kids knocked it when getting out of the car. Once again an absolutely perfect repair that dried in seconds, and has left the mount as good, and as strong as before. I hate superglue because of the nasty white residue it leaves, and because it loses it's bond too easily. The Supa Fix APX4 is in a totally different league, and to prove a point I deliberately broke a large and quite thick piece of plastic strip which was being thrown out with the rubbish. The two halves were bonded together with the APX4, and left for approximately 5 minutes. I then attempted to break the bond, but found that it was so strong the plastic strip broke in a completely different place. Needless to say I'm very impressed indeed. You may think the price is a bit steep, but you get two 10ml bottles of adhesive, and two different shades of powder (black and grey) that help reinforce the bonding power of the adhesive. I think this kit will last me ages. There is also a handy applicator tool in the pack that makes repairs very easy indeed, and minimises any accidental spillages. So, slightly more expensive than a good brand of superglue, but so much more effective. Highly recommended!

BETA Adult Spaniels with Chicken Dry Dog Food, 2 kg (Pack of 4)
BETA Adult Spaniels with Chicken Dry Dog Food, 2 kg (Pack of 4)

3.0 out of 5 stars All the animals like this - but too expensive, 14 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really don't think there's any special formulation going on here for specific breeds, it's more about the shape and size of the kibble - smaller pieces for smaller dogs, larger pieces for larger dogs. Beta Purina dog foods are not cheap, and this 4 x 2kg pack is just about enough to feed your spaniel for a month. The actual meat ingredients are somewhat lower as a percentage than similarly priced brands, but there is no doubt my spaniel loves it. Mind you, he isn't a fussy eater, and basically will eat anything in a bowl that is put in front of him, and quite a lot that isn't too! He munched his way through the 2kg bag I was sent in 5 days, helped by my cat and her 3 kittens. Too short a time to judge whether it has had any benefit at all, but then he and his coat were in splendid condition to start with. I normally feed him on supermarket own brand dry food, which he seems to love, and which is also much cheaper. The meat content of that is virtually the same as Beta, but at less than half the price. So, it is very difficult to justify buying this for regular feeding because it does work out expensive, especially when other family pets are helping themselves. I certainly wouldn't recommend buying it if you are under the impression that you are improving the diet of your spaniel either. Smaller pieces, a big name brand and a large price tag don't mean it's any better than what you are feeding your dog already. I am not saying I won't buy this product, but it would have to be on special offer, and at significantly less than the RRP to persuade me to do so. Good product, dog loves it, but too pricey.

Philips Lumea Compact SC1981/00 IPL Hair Removal System
Philips Lumea Compact SC1981/00 IPL Hair Removal System

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but I prefer the higher spec models, 10 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The entry level model in the Philips Lumea range, which means a smaller application window, which in turn means it takes longer to perform each treatment. The SC1981/00 is also a corded mains only model, which can be a pain, and is not as easy to hold as the more expensive models which come shaped like a small hairdryer, and have a proper handle. The Lumea certainly works as I have owned one of the cordless models for several months. You MUST read the specific "skin types" warnings before purchasing and using though. I found the mains cord on this model got in the way quite a lot, and the shape of the appliance makes it uncomfortable to handle and manipulate for a prolonged period. So, best to concentrate on one small area at each session, gradually working your way around. I have found keeping a note of dates and areas treated helps considerably. The treatment is almost entirely painless, and the Lumea has the advantage over similar systems of not requiring a contact lubricating gel. The UV light has a lifespan of up to 100,000 flashes, which should be good for several years of regular treatments. The main thing to remember with this type of hair removal system is perseverance pays off. Expect to see small results after a couple of applications, and major benefits in 3 to 4 months. My Lumea system is saving me a fortune in professional treatments, and has virtually paid for itself in the few months I have owned it. The SC1981/00 model does the same job as the more expensive models in the range, but I would definitely recommend spending the extra and buying SC 2006/00. Not only is it easier to hold and use, but is also cordless, has facial treatment attachments which are very useful, and a UV light with a much longer lifespan. However, if you want results on a budget, and are not fussed about the extra time needed for treatments and the lack of versatility, then this cheaper model will do the job very nicely too
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 11, 2014 10:49 PM GMT

Kipling Women's New Abela Shoulder Bag K12443B94 Party Dot Pr P
Kipling Women's New Abela Shoulder Bag K12443B94 Party Dot Pr P

4.0 out of 5 stars Trendy, Desirable & Expensive, 10 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love Kipling bags, although I often struggle to see how they justify the price of some of the,. The Abela Party Dot Shoulder Bag is very small and neat, with a very trendy multi colour dot design. Outer material is nylon, and feels good quality, The bag has a zip opening top revealing the main storage compartment. Inside the bag there is smaller zipped pocket at the back, and a key chord with clip for your keys. The lining is plain grey, which is odd because my friend has an identical Abela bag with a grey polka dot lining. That interior design is also shown on the Kipling website. The shoulder strap length is generous, as well as adjustable to suit all needs. The trademark monkey keyring comes attached to the front of the bag, and in this case it is a furry one instead of the more common metal variety. I still think this bag is a lot of money for what you actually get, but it is a highly desirable fashion statement, and Kipling is regarded as a leading brand. My 9 year old absolutely loves it, but it would probably end up as somewhere new to store her felt tips!! Ideal though for teenagers and young women, although the dot design might not appeal to older customers. I like it, but wouldn't pay £40+ to own one as my tastes are now for something more conventional.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20