Profile for b4-its-2-l8 > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 491

b4-its-2-l8 (London)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Parker Jotter Premium Oxford Grey Pinstripe Chrome Trim Ball Pen Medium Nib - Gift Boxed

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little pen, 17 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great little pen that comes with blue ink, which is more pleasing on my eyes (black ink on white paper can sometimes seem jarring on my eyesight). It’s lightweight (15g / 0.5oz) but doesn’t feel so flimsy but most importantly it’s comfortable to hold, has a decent grip and writes well.

Although it’s got ‘premium’ in the name, you wouldn’t confuse it with a premium branded pen, e.g. there’s none of the silent or muted clicking, this pen is boldly a pretty loud clicker but I also think that’s part of what makes it distinctively a Parker Jotter pen.

The 2nd picture (on expanded view) is a little misleading, the pinstriping looks like deep grooves, they’re not. They are more like the range of depth of scratches on car paintwork; deepest towards the centre of the barrel you can catch your fingernail on them as you turn the pen but the closer to the nib you get the shallower they become until, as you turn the pen, your fingernail runs over them as opposed to catching on them. The detailing is so subtle that in certain lighting conditions you wouldn’t even know they are there.

It’s also not so clear from the photos that the basic colours of the nib and clip sections are slightly different colours; the nib section with the pinstriping being like a shiny mild steel colour whereas the clip section has a slightly darker nickel plated colour and more deeply lacquered feel. I think I would prefer it id the whole pen was made of the same tone and feel of material as the clip section but that’s just a very minor point as it’s still a lovely pen for its price.

For a younger person the pen and packing would make for a nice gift but for someone with a few more years under their belt I wouldn’t expect you’d get the same level of appreciation.

The Big Cheese Ultra Power Pest Repeller
The Big Cheese Ultra Power Pest Repeller

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems to be effective., 11 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Until now I’ve been using the highly effective Pest Stop mouse trap which I can thoroughly recommend (the pair caught 7) but, prevention being better than cure, why just trap/kill why not banish them completely so there’s no need to kill?

Therefore, I tried out this unit which is a little unnerving as you’ve no real way of knowing if it’s actually functioning, the only clue you get is when you plug it in and switch on and a small red LED on the unit starts to pulse… but there’s no accompanying sound. There is also a black push-to-test button on the back of the unit which when pressed sounds like a personal attack alarm but other than that you just have to take it on faith it’s actually doing something.

And so far, having faith has proved effective as there have been no new kills in the traps or occasional scratching sounds. Of course maybe that’s because in the warm weather mice don’t go foraging indoors or the traps had already killed all the mice but whatever it is, for the sake of a penny a day in electricity it’s worth leaving this metallic looking but plastic device on.

Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Steriliser (Electric)
Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Steriliser (Electric)

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch, 6 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great steriliser. Previously I had been using the Philips Microwaveable Avent system, which is good, but I prefer this.

The first positive is obvious; this unit has a handle on the lid, which means that you are unlikely to get scolded by the release of steam as your hand is much further from the opening when you release the steam or that you have to experience the discomfort of handling the hot side of the lid (to do the same).

The next positive is it is much higher which means you can put in a wider range of bottles to be sterilised, and not just the propriety Tommy Tippee ones. A major bonus for me is that even with both shelves in place I can still fit my Avent 260ml bottles in the bottom shelf, but the top shelf is removable, allowing for a greater range of options.

If I remove the top shelf it gives me space for putting in a range of much taller bottles, such as the ones I use for juices like the “Sistema Twist 'n' Sip Water Bottle - 460 ml”, however, caution needs to be exercised as I got a wee bit carried away and included a hard Sistema bottle that was not designed for steam heating, Consequently, when it came out the steriliser it had shrunk to almost half the size it was before it went in (even though the cap remained the same diameter), therefore, no it was no longer useable. So… always READ the instructions!

Tommee Tippee’s recommendation is that (precisely) 80ml of water is used to enable the proper sterilising function (more means that the sterilising goes on too long, less means that the job’s not done properly) but if using precisely the recommended 80ml, the cycle takes a smidge under 7 minutes.

The unit it operated by what looks like a single button on the front, but it’s actually a split function; pressing the top 2/3’s will start the sterilising process and will be indicated by an illuminated orange ring around the button, which extinguishes when complete. However, pressing the bottom 1/3 of the button will stop that process by cancelling the sterilising function. (if you just switch off at the mains to stop it, it only interrupts that particular sterilising cycle, as soon as you supply power again it continues from where it left off).

All in all I think this is a very good steriliser and I’m happy to have replaced my good quality Avent system with it.

Fallen Fruits Tree Design Outdoor Pouffe Garden Seat
Fallen Fruits Tree Design Outdoor Pouffe Garden Seat
Offered by Bargains 4 Ever

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun seat design, 3 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a cute little inflatable seat for indoors or out. It comes in 2 parts; the outer patterned cover and the inner inflatable liner. And to join the two parts is a zip that goes about 90% the way around the base. It’s about 2 feet in diameter and just over 1 foot deep.

My 4 y.o. son loves it but treats it more like exercise equipment as he rolls around and jumps on it and so it has had some fairly rough treatment but it’s stood up to it so far. Which is a good thing as initially I was sceptical about it retaining air; as I was inflating it the non-return valve wasn’t very non-return and air kept coming back out if I didn’t block the valve between puffs but once it was inflated and the stopper put into the valve no more air appears to have leaked out, the pouffe has retained its shape.

I’ve seen some comments that say this seat isn’t very realistic (well it wouldn’t be; it’s soft and light and filled with air!) but I think they’re missing the point; apart from having to look twice to know it isn’t real wood, it is after all just a pattern. For example in this range you could get kiwi fruit, (or orange or watermelon) resembling covers and would they have written that a 2 foot kiwi fruit isn’t realistic? I don’t think so!

I think this is quite a fun solution for highly portable picnic seating (as long as you have plenty of puff and it’s not too windy) but I think the makers should offer discount for multi-packs (of 2, or 4, or 6) otherwise it would just get too expensive.

Philips Avent SCD506/05 DECT Baby Monitor with Night Light and Lullabies
Philips Avent SCD506/05 DECT Baby Monitor with Night Light and Lullabies

4.0 out of 5 stars Sound baby monitor, 1 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For a non-video baby monitor this one is remarkably good, the quality of the sound is at least as good as or better than other audio monitors I’ve tried.

Both the parent and baby units can be operated either by mains power or battery (4xAA, 2xAA), which is handy if travelling or if at home and you have the baby unit plugged into the mains whilst using batteries in the parent unit so you can be mobile around the home but still keep an ear out for your little one wherever you are. And if you don’t want to hear you can just switch the volume off and reply solely on the blue LEDs, the more that light up indicates a greater the noise being detected.

The night light function on the baby unit is nice and functions well, it’s a subtle orange glow in the shape of a crescent moon, and also controllable remotely from the parent unit.

The lullabies are okay, 10 simple tunes each lasting a couple of minutes, and the volume at its highest is like quiet background music but can be turned down to a hardly noticeable level.

It perhaps comes in a little bit pricey for an audio only monitor but it does work faultlessly.

kenable Swann PenCam DVR Mini Video Camera & Recorder 2GB Pen Capacity
kenable Swann PenCam DVR Mini Video Camera & Recorder 2GB Pen Capacity

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 29 May 2016
Novelty value only, if even that. Not worth the nice packaging it comes in.

Zyliss Easy Spin Salad Spinner, Green, Large
Zyliss Easy Spin Salad Spinner, Green, Large

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective, but huge., 28 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I already have a salad spinner which is extremely good (the plunger type mechanism, with push-button brake) and the only criticism I can make about it is that it won’t hold as much as I would like at times e.g. large bag of spinach, so I thought I’d give this Zyliss a try.

Wow, I had not anticipated just how much bigger this was, it’s about double the size, (10” diameter, 5.5” deep) and has the pull-cord type mechanism and also the push-button brake.

This is very effective, and great for large quantities, the only issue I’ve had is when cleaning it, I usually put water in the base and use the spinner to swoosh it around, but for some reason the mechanism doesn’t always engage when what’s being spun is water. At first I thought I’d broken it, but I pressed the stop button and tried again and it worked fine again. That happens quite commonly but I’ve never had an issue like that when spinning actual salads.

The only other consideration to have is having the storage space for it, photos attached for comparison.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Bosch GKS 190 Professional Circular Saw 240V
Bosch GKS 190 Professional Circular Saw 240V

5.0 out of 5 stars First rate circular saw, 22 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Astounding. I’ve sometimes thought about getting a circular saw but I’ve always put it off because of the expense and the amount I thought I would use it but now I think why did I wait!

I’m a novice but cutting is so much faster and easier, and straighter, than I imagined (the included guide rail makes this effortless). I’m now kicking myself thinking about all the time I’ve wasted straightening up the uneven lines I cut with a jigsaw, this makes my cuts more professional by comparison.

I was a little peeved it didn’t come with the Allen key that is supposed to be included (I have surplus ones anyway so not that big an issue but a definite oversight on behalf of Bosch) but, pleased it came with the dust extraction adaptor that the manual says is an accessory, however, you’ll need to supply your own dust collector (whether bag or vac).

I should have got one of these a long time ago, still, better late than never.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 29, 2016 2:47 PM BST

NERF Super Soaker Tornado Scream Toy
NERF Super Soaker Tornado Scream Toy

4.0 out of 5 stars Advantage to... the one with most firepower!, 22 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great toy, but only in short bursts as, even with pumping up to maximum pressure, having two jets of water firing out quickly depletes the available force the water fires with.

The spinning water jet seems more of a novelty, and is great in small doses, but after using it the water keeps dribbling from the nozzle for 15-20 seconds (it must get trapped somewhere inside the mechanism during use then it runs out). However, putting a finger over the hole for it stops the after-dribble and as all the water then only exits via the central jet the pressure stays higher for longer and is also the only way the water fires the claimed 35 feet.

If you have a ready supply of water (for the constant topping up) and ample arm strength/stamina (for the constant pumping that’s required) this is actually fun to use… especially if your opponent only has a water pistol! (Although, if you were to buy 2 then that ought to stop quibbles about fairness!).

first4magnets F646-N38SH-2 20 mm Diameter x 10 mm Thick N35SH Neodymium Magnet with 11.2 kg Pull (Pack of 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Potent small magnets, 17 May 2016
Okay, so as a fridge magnet this is definitely overkill but... they certainly do do their job! They easily hold multiple sheets. However, rather than place it flat side against the door (which requires a bit of technique to lift it) I place it circumference side to the door so that I can simply roll it out the way (whilst still keeping papers held), and it works remarkably well - static when needed, mobile when wanted.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20