Profile for P. Baylis > Reviews

Content by P. Baylis

P. Baylis (West York's England)

The Cyclist's Training Manual: Fitness and Skills for Every Rider
The Cyclist's Training Manual: Fitness and Skills for Every Rider
by Guy Andrews

5.0 out of 5 stars A seasoned mountain biker and 1/2 marathon runner learns new training skills!!, 8 Jun 2013
I've been mountain biking for over 20 years, have good skills and reasonable fitness levels. I used to (in my younger days) run half marathons and fell run, so I'm not a novice and I know about different training techniques such as fartlec and speed sessions, heart rate monitors etc

What I have never done is applied these to riding. If your someone who gets out twice a week and the occasional trail center days, and want to take your riding to the next level, then this is for you.
I had plateaued and wanted to undertake my local MTB races in under 3 hours, that's my goal.

Ive seen some reviews which say this is aimed at the beginner, and it is great for someone who wants to start the sport, but don't dismiss that. Some of the most basic info sections (such as pedaling) has some real revelations for me, no really! Pushing hard on ever 3rd or 5th stroke when your legs are gone, really helps get up that big climb. Or how importance cadence is, in any bike sport.

I've never been to the dark side of lycra clad road bike racing, so reading the different techniques and strategies for other types of racing, including where these skills can cross over to Mountain biking (such as sprinting and hydration strategies) were fascinating.

So if you just want to get up your local big climb in the big ring, be the next Chris Hoy, improve your time trialing or just beat your mates, this is for your.

Breathe Easy Steam Inhaler For Congestion & Blockages
Breathe Easy Steam Inhaler For Congestion & Blockages

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap & cheerful but easier than a bowl!, 1 Nov 2011
I bought this to help ease congestion after a cold.
I had also heard that this would help the the children with the many coughs kids get, wIthout the need for a medicine alternative.
This product is cheaply made out of ok materials. But it is a cheap product, so i have no problem with that.
I am overall pleased with this product and would recommend.
One word or caution is that the face mask is too big to create an effective seal against the face for young children (6) but this can be solved by using a towel to block the gap beneath the chin. Also, the mask doesn't angle down enough to use laying down, but considering it's full of hot liquid, that's probably intentional.
It really helped the kids get some sleep when suffering from a cough. Just a 1/2 spoon of vics or a drop of eucalyptus in the cup with hot water shifted the gunk!