Profile for R. A. Mcconnell > Reviews

Content by R. A. Mcconnell

R. A. Mcconnell (North Devon, UK)

The Lowdown: The EU - Should We Stay or Should We Go?
The Lowdown: The EU - Should We Stay or Should We Go?
Price: 2.27

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for anyone wanting to understand the EU, 25 May 2014
This short book was crazy to read & digest. Informative and hilarious in parts (Mr & Mrs MEP) it goes a long way in explaining what the EU is how it's run and why. Shocking and informative it helped me understand it better than any politician could ever hope to. Before the referendum everyone should have read this. Well done Mr Kent.

Wouldn't it be Nice: My Own Story
Wouldn't it be Nice: My Own Story
by Brian Wilson
Price: 8.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Read the book - understand the Man, 5 Jan 2007
My daughter gave me this book for Christmas and I read it from boxing day. I couldnt put it down it was so well written. I found it to be a very moving, amusing and poignant read. I have now a greater understanding of his music; where it came from, what he had to go through to get it out there so we could hear it. No other composer in history had to endure what he endured, suffered what he suffered and achieved what he achieved. His meeting with Carnie when she was 11 yrs old was quite shocking and moving but totally understandable given what he'd gone through. What his father did to him was terrible, and the selfishness of Mike Love was unforgivable because he was only motivated by greed and fame.

I dont often do bio's especially not pop/rock ones but this one has to be the best I have read for a long time. I hope Brian gets to enjoy his remaining years doing what he does best sat infront of a piano making wonderful music for us

How to be Brilliant
How to be Brilliant
by Michael Heppell

4.0 out of 5 stars How to be and still be Brilliant, 4 Aug 2006
This review is from: How to be Brilliant (Paperback)
I saw this book by reading a review from someone else. I had identified in my life I needed to change my behaviours because I wasnt getting on with people the way I wanted to. My life had no direction..... you know the sort of thing I mean cos if you're reading this you are probably doing the same thing, looking for a change.

Now I had listened to Tony Robbins, and thought "OK, but a little too in your face" but then he is trying to motivate me, and thats how he does it. This book, "How To Be Brilliant" is written by one of us Brits, and even though he probably uses the same energy levels in motivation, for me it was less sickly.

Now, what I liked about this book is that it told me what I wanted to hear, even the bad stuff, the negative stuff. It will work for anyone who understands what the book is about, understands themselves and have some degree of motivation to do something. There is nothing in the book that is difficult, in fact he goes out of his way to make you find easy ways of doing things. The best bit for me is that the changes you make are subtle. By that I mean you do a little thing and see the results, and as you progress you do a little more and so on. I cant stand thos people who do something new, and immediatly want to convert everyone they know or meet there and then! You know the types, the ones that go away for a weekend on a seminar, and come back full of ideas and drive on the monday morning, but by the next Monday its all gone again. That wont happen if you understand what you need to do, and you will by reading this book.

I recommend you read it through once, then go back again, and this time do the exercises, written and mental, and you will be comfortable with yourself for doing so, and you will have a better understanding of what you want to achieve, and how you are going to achieve it. It's not an overnight fix, you do need to apply something of yourself. You will come to undertstand this phrase "No Weeds, No Weeds".

The First Heroes: The Extraordinary Story of the Doolittle Raid--America's First World War II Victory
by Craig Nelson

4.0 out of 5 stars well written story of daring do, 13 Jun 2006
I have read this book, I wasnt really all that knowledable about this part of the Pacific war other than the last bit of the film "Pearl Harbour" with Ben Afleck. Anyway, tha aside, i picked it up and started to read it. I usually find it difficult to get into a book if the author is just telling you facts, but quite soon I was reading this for long periods at a time, even choosing to read it over watching TV! always a good sign. The story is poignent, amusing and informative. I felt the characters were believeable in their testomony and the authors ability to follow one starnd and then change to another was very well done indeed. I can not fully appreciate why men would volunteer for this kind of mission, then carry it out, then get back into the war after having survived what they did. Doolittle himself came across favourably as a leader of men. Sadly not all of the raiders survived the war, and because of the lack of understanding of PoW's those raiders captured then released is quite harrowing.

This is a better than average historical account of what went on before, during and after the raid. In this book, the story is told with the right tone, those that achieved great things are mentioned in a proper way, those that just survived are given equal treatment. No man alive today would probably risk himself the way these men did and it shows what can be done when you need to do it. I enjoyed the read.