Profile for R. Robertson > Reviews

Sort It Out
Sort It Out
Offered by Splash And Relax

5.0 out of 5 stars great fun, 30 Dec 2012
This review is from: Sort It Out (Toy)
My 11 year old daughter and I have had such fun playing this tonight. We were trying it out so we knew the rules for when our guests come tomorrow night. We are sure that all the guests and the rest of our family will love this game, as we didn't want to stop. Older children can play on an equal level with adults, so it's much better than games like Trivial pursuit when you can't go anywhere unless you know one specific answer. Excellent game.

The Stranger's Child
The Stranger's Child
by Alan Hollinghurst

1.0 out of 5 stars awful, 11 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Stranger's Child (Hardcover)
Why is it that every time there's a sexual encounter between two men, it's explained in explicit blow by blow detail. When there's sexual encounter between a man and a woman, you're lucky if even one word is used to describe it. This book is just a man's self indulgence in expressing his own sexual fantasies. If you don't enjoy reading about a man trying to seduce another man, then there's not many pages of this book left to interest you.

When God was a Rabbit
When God was a Rabbit
by Sarah Winman

2.0 out of 5 stars Strange book, 14 Mar 2012
This review is from: When God was a Rabbit (Paperback)
I gave this book 2 stars because I did want to find out how it all finished in the end so to that extent it was a page turner. However, I just couldn't like any of the characters. I found the main character to be very unusual - I kept assuming she was an older child, but then when the author occassionally told us her age, it always seemed far far too young. The whole part about the rabbit - I just couldn't suspend disbelief. Too many coincidences, and even the relationship with Jenny Penny seemed flawed in the second half of the book. I felt she was trying to be politically correct having so many homosexual characters and they just didn't seem real (apart from Nancy who was perhaps the only likeable character in the book) From the title, I assumed there would be a lot in it about the rabbit, but there wasn't, and the only reference in the second half was just ludicrous. And what was all that about the coin with a date on it in the future? Did I miss some explanation there? And why didn't Jenny Penny run away from her husband?

Water for Elephants: a Novel
Water for Elephants: a Novel
by Sara Gruen

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful story, 10 Jan 2012
I couldn't put this book down. I didn't think I'd enjoy a book about a travelling circus but I was gripped from the start. It's an amazing story, definitely one of the best I've read for a while

Lego City 7635 4WD Horse Trailer
Lego City 7635 4WD Horse Trailer
Offered by Nellybear

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 26 Dec 2010
My 9 year old daughter built this whole model in one afternoon without any assistance from me. She's never shown any interest in lego before, but was really motivated to build this, and did it easily.

There and Back: Cheap Travel - Overland Through Turkey, Iran and Afghanistan
There and Back: Cheap Travel - Overland Through Turkey, Iran and Afghanistan
by Christopher Arthur Nicholson

3.0 out of 5 stars a mixture of great description and poor description, 29 Aug 2008
This was an unusual book. I found some of the descriptions of the writer's adventures truly exciting. However, at other times I found myself frustrated with him as he rushed through events without describing them in the same detail as other events. I was also put off by the constant changing of tenses as he moved back and forward between the present tense and past tense - it didn't really work for me. There were other mistakes - eg spaces missing between words. Has his writing really been edited properly? Having said that, there were some fantastic accounts of life in the countries he visited and this made the book worth reading.

His Illegal Self
His Illegal Self
by Peter Carey

2.0 out of 5 stars quite confusing, 29 Aug 2008
This review is from: His Illegal Self (Hardcover)
I found this quite a confusing book to read. There were many times when I simply didn't understand what was happening. My lack of knowledge about either the revolution or the Australian outback meant that I could not follow all that was happening. I had to re read certain parts and even then I was not completely sure what was happening. The absence of speech marks was also challenging. But I did want to keep reading to find out what happened so in some ways it was compelling. I probably would understand it better if I read it a second time, but I don't particularly want to.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 5, 2009 11:47 AM BST

Unicorn School: First Class Friends
Unicorn School: First Class Friends
by Linda Chapman

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing - lack of original ideas, 27 Oct 2007
This book is like a version of Harry Potter for younger children. The only difference is that it's unicorns instead of wizards. Apart from this difference, the book is really lacking in originality and I found it disappointing. It's just another book about boarding schools which teach magical powers, and I'm not sure that I want my 6 year old to be learning about charms and curses.

Join in - Jump on! Stories from Matthew... and More
Join in - Jump on! Stories from Matthew... and More
by Marjory Francis

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun to do, 16 Feb 2007
My daughter loves this book. It's a good mix of puzzles and activities and great for children aged 5-7.

Not Quite a Mermaid: Mermaid Treasure
Not Quite a Mermaid: Mermaid Treasure
by Linda Chapman

5.0 out of 5 stars better than most of the girly books out just now, 16 Feb 2007
My daughter really loves these mermaid books and I've enjoyed reading them to her. They are still very simple stories but are well written compared to a lot of other books aimed at young girls.

Page: 1 | 2