Profile for judithlogan-farias > Reviews

Content by judithlogan-farias

judithlogan-farias

10x15cm Sandwich Colour Rubber Carving Blocks DIY Your Own Rubber Stamps (Orange Surface White Inside)
Offered by Y.P.Selected

5.0 out of 5 stars but it is miles better than the even more expensive moo carve, 13 Dec. 2014
I am an artist and make my own stamps which I use a lot in my paintings. This is quite an expensive product for what it is, but it is miles better than the even more expensive moo carve, and not as prone to crumbling (I find, anyway) as the speedball pink rubber. At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. I actually think the thickness is just about perfect, and the fact that the underlying layers are white means you can see easily what you are carving. A tad dear, but will last and is good quality. Wish they would make bigger sizes for linocut artists.

Printing by Hand: A Modern Guide to Printing with Handmade Stamps, Stencils, and Silk Screens
by Lena Corwin
Edition: Hardcover-spiral

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, 4 May 2013
This is an extremely useful guide for anyone new to printmaking, and for those with some experience, like myself. I bought it mainly for the chapter on screenprinting but have found it useful in other areas too. Instructions are simple, photographs both helpful and beautiful, and it's even got a hidden spiral bound, which is a practical touch.

Making an Impression: Designing & Creating Artful Stamps
Making an Impression: Designing & Creating Artful Stamps
by Geninne D. Zlatkis

5.0 out of 5 stars A work of art, 4 May 2013
A work of art in it's own right, I eventually decided to buy this book even though I have some experience in making my own rubber stamps, and I am so glad I did. You can not fail to be inspired by this book and Gennine's inexhaustible creativity and generous tips, from printing on pebbles to using polymer clay, as well as the more obvious choices of paper and fabric, there is something for everyone. Without a doubt, this is one of those books that I will turn to time and again, if not just to admire the art within. Buy it and enjoy!

Adventurous Watercolours
Adventurous Watercolours
by Jenny Wheatley

4.0 out of 5 stars a breath of fresh air, 20 Dec. 2011
I have to disagree with the previous 2 reviews, and am only writing this to give prospective buyers a different viewpoint. I love Jenny Wheatley`s work: it`s bold, daring, different, and ...adventurous! Naturally, that won`t be to everyone`s liking, but I would have thought that the title and the dust-jacket picture would have been a big enough clue as to the nature of her style, which incidentally, she never labells as mark-making. While this is highly important in her work, and in all art, (all artists have their mark, so to speak), it is never mentioned as being a style in itself. I do get the impression however, that she feels the need to defend her methods, and she reiterates (also in her accompanying DVD, which I highly recommend) that her technique is well thought out and not just "flailing paint all over the place". Given the negative reviews of more "purists," I can understand why she`d do this. I do happen to agree with one reviewer about the collaged pieces, which are not to my personal liking, but then, why should they have to be? While I also love watercolour paintings in the more traditional mode, where their translucency is paramount, I equally feel that they are capable of other more bolder renderings, and neither is superior; it all depends on what and how you want to say about something. I hold artists like Jenny Wheatley and Shirley Trevena in as high regard as Aubrey Phillips and Jane Corsellis. If you know anything about art you will see that they all have immense talent as both draughtsmen and women and painters, even if some are more concerned about pattern and colour than light and translucency. I have just started out on my own artistic journey again, after many years following a different professional path and now bringing up 3 small children. This book, among many others, has been a real inspiration to me, and one which I pick up again and again.