Profile for Carmen Moran > Reviews

Carmen Moran (Edinburgh)

Canon PIXMA iX6550 upto A3+ Colour Photo Printer 9600¹ x 2400 dpi
Canon PIXMA iX6550 upto A3+ Colour Photo Printer 9600¹ x 2400 dpi

3.0 out of 5 stars Expensive to run, 1 Jun 2013
My Canon i865 packed it in last year, and I used this as an excuse to get a shiny shiny A3 printer. The print quality of the Canon Pixma iX6550 is, as expected, wonderful, and the fact that it prints pretty much anything up to A3 size with minimum faffage makes my life a lot easier. However, the printing cost is utterly ridonculous, due to the fact that the cartridges seem to contain only a tiny smidgen of ink. And at 60-odd quid for a full set of cartridges, I'd really like to get more than about 10 full colour pages (A4!) out of them.

I tried the cheap non-original cartridges for my previous Canon, but found they gunked up the printheads too much, so have stayed away from them so far. Having not used my lovely new printer for a few months now, however, simply because I can't afford a new set of cartridges, I'm inclined to give them another go.

So, for the print quality, this printer certainly deserves more than three stars, but the running costs are simply too high. I'm very close to regretting spending the money.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 6, 2014 12:43 AM BST

The Unbelievable Saw
The Unbelievable Saw
Offered by Smart Innovations

3.0 out of 5 stars Does some jobs, but not all of them..., 24 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Unbelievable Saw (Sports)
I bought this item quite simply because I couldn't afford to buy a full-on electric chainsaw, and thought it might be worth giving this a shot. And it was... kinda. I can't really agree with the raving reviews it's received so far, though. The saw works very well on dry softwood, up to maybe about 8 cm in diameter. Try it on something actually attached to a living tree, possibly even slightly damp from the rain and you're down to 5cm, as the teeth just snag and get stuck very easily. If that's all you're going to use it for, that's fine, of course, but from the description and reviews I had expected slightly more...

Still, it takes up virtually no space at all, doesn't need electricity, and I also found the little plastic pouch it came in was fine for storing it, as it's quite sturdy. Handy for smaller jobs, but not the only saw you're ever going to need!

Grobag Egg
Grobag Egg
Offered by Buy It Wise

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty, but unreliable, 6 Oct 2007
This review is from: Grobag Egg (Baby Product)
I also found the Grobag Egg to be very unreliable. We just happened to have another thermometer in the room, and the two never agreed, with the Grobag Egg sometimes showing quite unlikely readings (usually too high).

On the positive side, if the room does go too cold (and the egg feels like showing it), the blue light is actually bright enough to wake you up, but as it's so hard to decide whether it's giving an accurate reading, even that is a bit useless. Looks pretty as a night light, though.

The Voluptuous Vegan: More Than 200 Sinfully Delicious Recipes for Meatless, Eggless, and Dairy-Free Meals
by Myra Kornfeld

5.0 out of 5 stars Complicated, but worth it!, 15 Feb 2007
I really love this book. Yes, the recipes are a bit more complicated than most other cookbooks, and yes, you do come across some ingredients that are not readily available everywhere in the world, but I tend to adapt recipes as I go along anyways, and this book has been a very good source of inspiration for me.

I find that many vegan cookbooks go for the same old stews and 'homey' foods, which are nice, but may ultimately become a bit boring, and - let's face it - aren't very impressive when it does come to cooking for non-vegans. This book gives a nice selection of fairly posh nosh, and some of the dishes are cooked over and over again in this household.

There is a soup section at the start of the book (the borscht is luurvely!), and then there is a section of set meals, consisting of several dishes (For example African Groundnut Stew, Spicy Sauteed Spagetti Squash, Ginger-baked Tofu and Quinoa and Millet Pilaf), which go together well. Obviously the police won't come round if you only pick and choose the bits you want to make.

I would agree with the previous reviewer that 'The Voluptuous Vegan' is not a book for the 'beginner' vegan or for everyday recipes, but if you have to cook a fancy christmas meal for your meat eating family, this is the book to consult!

Fancy Rats (Complete Pet Owner's Manual)
Fancy Rats (Complete Pet Owner's Manual)
by G. Bulla

3.0 out of 5 stars Got the basics, but should be taken with a pinch of salt, 30 July 2006
This book gives a basic outline of rat care, including how to introduce yourself and your kids to the rats, basic handling, feeding and cage furniture.

However, it also includes some big no-nos (including the one about using saw dust as bedding, which can lead to bad respiratory problems in rats), so should probably not be used as the only point of info.