ARRAY(0xa02514e0)

Profile for russell jones > Reviews

Content by russell jones

russell jones

Garmin Forerunner 305 Wrist-Worn GPS Personal Training Device with Heart Rate Monitor

3.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit, 4 Mar 2009
I'm really enjoying using the Forerunner; this is the first running computer I have owned so I can't make comparisons to other models. I've found that the pace can be a bit variable while running but seems to level out to sensible values once it's uploaded onto the computer. The digits that are used for the heartrate could do with being a little larger too. It's very hard to read them while running especially on tracks. I was away last weekend in Amsterdam and it was fantastic knowing that I could run for an hour and the forerunner would be able to tell me how to get back to the hotel. Linux support out of the box would be a bonus, I managed to get it connected to my NetBook but it took a lot of effort to work out how to set it up.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 5, 2012 10:44 PM GMT

Archos 504 - 80GB Portable Multimedia Player
Archos 504 - 80GB Portable Multimedia Player

2.0 out of 5 stars Incomplete package, 28 Aug 2007
The archos 504 is probably a very good media player, it certainly plays mp3 well enough.

It does however have a major failing in that it is sold as being able to play mpeg-4 video but is incapable of playing any mp4 files that i own without requiring a 19.99euro download from Archos. None of my AVI files will play without paying for a different 19.99euro download from their site. I can only assume that any future codecs will also only be supported by yet another paid for plug-in.

I've reboxed mine and it'll be returned this evening. I'm disgusted at Archos for playing this trick, the only reason that i bought the player was that it was only 20 more than another well known player; that player does, however, play video out of the box without any extra expenditure.

Well done archos, here's one customer you've lost forever.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 19, 2009 7:53 PM GMT

Archos 504 - 40GB Portable Multimedia Player
Archos 504 - 40GB Portable Multimedia Player

2.0 out of 5 stars Misleading Product name, 27 Aug 2007
The player seems good so far but the product name seems highly misleading as I have to pay 39.98 if i want to be able to play any of my videos. By creating plug-ins for video podcast and cinema separately I have to pay two lots of 19.99 before the player is properly useable. I'll be taking mine back to the shop tomorrow. Silly thing is I would probably have paid an extra 40 to have the thing work straight out of the box but how do i know that a new format that gets released next week won't require yet another 19.99.

Pro .NET 1.1 Remoting, Reflection, and Threading: From Professional to Expert (Expert's Voice)
by David; Ferracchiati, Fabio Claudio; Gilani, Syed Fahad; Gillespie, Mike; Gopikrishna, Sandra; Hart, James; Mathew, Benny K.; Olsen, Andy; Pars, Robin; Pinnock, Jon; Redkar, Tejaswi; Sivakumar, Srinivasa; Titus, Tobin Curran
Price: 61.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, misleading title, 20 Oct 2005
The book is excellent and covers the material well. I was having some problems with an architecture that involved both remoting and reflection and it helped me to solve them.
The Major issue i have with this book is that it calls itself 'Pro .NET' when it is in fact a pure VB Title. While i accept that most c# / c++ developers can read VB code, it could to do more to include the whole .Net community and not just the VB developers. Having VB used in all the examples makes the code samples much less readable than they could otherwise have been.
Compared to the quality of the explanations of the subject matter, that is a minor gripe, however annoying and this book will probably become part of my armoury until an equivalent v2.0 title is released.

Programming Distributed Applications with COM+ and Visual Basic 6 (Book & CD)
Programming Distributed Applications with COM+ and Visual Basic 6 (Book & CD)
by Ted Pattison

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Guide to Com+, 23 Nov 2000
Starting with a guide to COM and working his way through to the intracacies of messaging and distributed security, Ted Pattison covers a complex and extensive subject with great clarity.
Some concepts were covered in greater depth than might be necessary just to get the job done, but such forays into the under-the-cover operations of the Win2K environment are concise and informative and should not put anyone off from reading this excellent book.
I would not hesitate to recommend this book to anyone with a sound knowledge of VB6 who is interested in creating middle tier components