Profile for Big Pete > Reviews

Content by Big Pete

Big Pete (Devon, England)

Speck SeeThru Satin Hard Shell Case Cover for 13 inch MacBook Air - Black
Speck SeeThru Satin Hard Shell Case Cover for 13 inch MacBook Air - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 3 Feb. 2014
This is a clip on case for the Macbook pro. Attaches very easily but remains secure.
Does what it says on the pack

NHS SOS: How the NHS Was Betrayed - and How We Can Save It
NHS SOS: How the NHS Was Betrayed - and How We Can Save It
by Raymond Tallis

4.0 out of 5 stars Good explanation of the NHS demise, 3 Feb. 2014
A good summary of what has happened to the NHS recently. It remains a mystery why this ha not been publicised more even though there is a chapter on the press.
As a doctor it is an embarrassment to me that my professional bodies were so complicit in this change. Perhaps a case of looking to gongs in the future for the leaders of the colleges / BMA? They forget that the system that we are left with is the one that will be replacing their hips and heart valves in the future.
This only gets 4 stars because it is a little repetitive.

Medicine, Patients and the Law: Revised and Updated Fifth Edition
Medicine, Patients and the Law: Revised and Updated Fifth Edition
by Margaret Brazier

4.0 out of 5 stars Good summary, 3 Feb. 2014
This is a good summary of the subject and is very well written. The only reason for not giving 4 stars is the fact that the print is very small which makes reading more difficult than most other books

The Chimp Paradox: The Mind Management Programme to Help You Achieve Success, Confidence and Happiness
by Prof Steve Peters

5.0 out of 5 stars Just buy it, 3 Feb. 2014
Over react to things? Get irritated that people don't see your point of view? Can't understand why things upset you?
This book will help

Pitt Cue Co. - The Cookbook
Pitt Cue Co. - The Cookbook
by Tom Adams

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a general cookbook, 3 Feb. 2014
This is a book about BBQ with some recipes. They are not necessarily difficult ones but are time consuming - some of the ingredients for some of the dishes take a few hours to make even before you start cooking.
Great if you want to spend the weekend cooking half a pig - and an excellent book if you do, but not a book to pick off the shelf and cook a meal.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 13, 2014 4:41 PM GMT

A Great Day at the Office: Simple Strategies to Maximize Your Energy and Get More Done More Easily
by Dr. John Briffa

5.0 out of 5 stars This book tells you what to do and, more importantly, how to do it. Brilliant!, 18 Jan. 2014
As a reader of Dr Briffa's books on diet and weight loss I wondered what he has to add about general well being. The answer to that question is "rather a lot" actually.
This book is designed to help you get more out of your working day and give you more energy for the valuable time left when you are not working. He does this in a very logical and evidence based fashion.
The first chapters on nutrition are some of the best written on the subject and summarise the current thinking in a very easy to digest (sorry) way that makes complete sense. After that there are chapters on a variety of subjects that I hope will allow me to be more productive and healthy.
Quite often I read about what I should do but there is little advice on the application of my good intentions and they fall by the wayside. This book not only explains to me what I should or could do to improve my energy levels but it also gives great ways of applying the concepts to everyday life. Some of the recommendations are not along with conventional publicised wisdom but Dr Briffa's suggestions are, as always, backed up by fact and there are scientific references available for those of us that wish to read more.
There are chapters on how to form good habits (and break bad ones) without feelings of deprivation, and also simple ways to boost mood and attitude on a day to day basis. The concept of "random acts of kindness" is not necessarily new but is really well explained in this book.
I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to get more out of their day and have more energy for life outside work.
If, like me, your New Years resolutions are already a thing of the past then buy this book, read it and start the new year again but this time have a chance of succeeding.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Blunt, 14 Sept. 2012
Awful shave with these blunt blades. OK if you want the hair ripped from your face rather than cut cleanly.

Escape the Diet Trap
Escape the Diet Trap
by Dr. John Briffa

5.0 out of 5 stars The thinking persons fat loss book., 30 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Escape the Diet Trap (Paperback)
As a "big boned" chap I was given this book on pre order for Christmas by my wife. I have just finished reading it and felt that I should write a review. For those of you who need to lose weight and are fed up being told to "go for a run and eat a bit less" then this book is for you. It is not a diet book but a collection of well researched and analysed theories regarding weight loss and health. John Briffa then looks at the available evidence and puts forward a reasoned argument against many of the standard assumptions. For example he explains why just cutting down food intake may not be the answer and discusses the limitations of the standard diets available especially ones involving calorie counting.
The science in this book is very well explained and easy to understand and I feel that having the background knowledge behind the changes I need to make to my diet will, in the long run, strengthen my resolve. I will also be able to explain to my mates exactly why joining them at the gym may not be the answer to our weight loss, although when combined with the suggestions in this book it will result in a fitter me. I also think that this book removes some of the guilt of failing to lose weight in the past despite following various plans by explaining why you may have failed and what to do about it.
There are sections in the book that also discuss the power of marketing and big food producers behind the availability of foods in supermarkets that have certainly informed my shopping practice for the better.
In summary do not buy this is you want a formulaic diet planning book but do buy it if you want to make simple changes to your diet that will change your life for good.

Waist Disposal: The Ultimate Fat Loss Manual for Men
Waist Disposal: The Ultimate Fat Loss Manual for Men
by John Briffa

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what it says on the cover. Buy this book., 1 April 2010
Being a little on the larger size I have tried to lose an inch or two from around the waist over the past few years. I always end up feeling starving hungry and my weight doesn't change much (if anything it goes up as I get more fed up with low cal / low fat food). This book explains why exercise (alone) doesn't help and how to eat well and lose fat. It is well written and has good multi source references to back up the science which is easy to understand.
I followed the book and have lost about a stone in weight and more importantly do not feel hungry.
If you are someone who always feels hungry on a diet, read this book. It will explain why, and will tell you what to do to stop it happening without being evangelical.