Profile for Iryna > Reviews

Iryna

Trixie 28631 Cuddly Bed for Cats 45 cm
Trixie 28631 Cuddly Bed for Cats 45 cm

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite cuddly, 24 Jan 2014
I ordered this cat bed to go inside of my Trixie wicker Cat Basket and it was a perfect fit. It arrived a day early and was very nicely packaged.

The bed itself is nice enough, I think, though my cat didn't take to it and decided he prefers to keep sleeping on my bed, but that's understandable, since that's been his sleeping spot for as long as he's been with me. I didn't really expect him to give up his soft place on the pillow to sleep in a cat basket, so I'm by no means disappointed. Its main purpose was just to make trips to the vet more comfortable, and I think it'll do the job splendidly. It feels nice enough, is incredibly light and quite soft, and I love that it can be reversed - the red on the underside of it looks wonderful with the white fluffy material.

Overall, I'm quite happy with it, it serves the purpose I bought it for flawlessly.

How to think like Sherlock: Improve Your Powers of Observation, Memory and Deduction
by Daniel Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for a bit of fun, 24 Jan 2014
I got this book for a friend who hinted very subtly that she was interested. The package came two days late, but I ordered a few more items with it so that was probably why. When it did arrive, I was very impressed with it. It looks even nicer than it does in the image, it's an excellent hardback. The dust cover comes off to reveal a very sophisticated looking black cover underneath which is blank on front and back but has the title and author on the spine. The pages are very nice quality, though the font is a bit too big for those of us who are used to reading minute fonts. It doesn't come with a sewn in bookmark. Overall, excellent production quality.

Since I wasn't able to give it to her for a couple of weeks, I decided to read a bit of it myself (and hope she wouldn't notice). I read about halfway through and then gave it up, not because it was bad, but because I had four other novels lined up and finding out how to be like Sherlock Holmes wasn't particularly a priority. It's quite well written; easy to read (minus the occasional "fancy" words which I have a feeling the author throws in occasionally to make his points sound cogent), it's well planned out, follows a certain structure, and is written as a form of commentary with the author frequently providing his own insight on different topics. He includes several brain teaser puzzles, which I imagine would be quite fun if you don't skip over them like I did. While this is by no means a "bad" book, it should only really be considered as a bit of light reading for those of us who adore Sherlock Holmes, it's certainly not a guide book on how to become super intelligent, and honestly, at times feels like more of an English essay than anything. The writer spends an awful lot of time waffling on about this or that and giving page long quotes from different Sherlock novels to back his points up.

In conclusion, this book would make a nice gift, and would provide a couple of hours of entertainment, but that's about it.

GIZZY® Sherlock Holmes Style Tweed Deerstalker Hat. (59cm)
GIZZY® Sherlock Holmes Style Tweed Deerstalker Hat. (59cm)
Offered by Top Brand Cosmetics UK Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars A very pleasant surprise, 23 Jan 2014
Considering the price of this product, I didn't expect it to be good, I imagined a cheap, poorly sewn felt hat when I ordered it, but I got it anyway because it was only meant for a small goofy present for a friend who's a fan of Sherlock Holmes. When I received the package I was blown away by it. The quality of it is absolutely wonderful. The material felt very rich, it looked very classy, along with tags saying it was designed in England. Although it was a present, I couldn't resist opening it and trying it on. It was a big too big for me (I ordered the second smallest size to be on the safe side, it should fit most people no problem, and I'm certain the 58cm size would've been a perfect fit), and it looked splendid! I expected it to look a bit ridiculous, but it really did look wonderful. I could easily pair it up with any everyday outfit and make it work splendidly. I haven't given it to my friend yet, but I'm certain she'll love it. This hat really is wonderful; regardless of what occasion you're getting it for, I'm certain you'll be happy with it.

The Great Gatsby (Collectors Library)
The Great Gatsby (Collectors Library)
by F. Scott Fitzgerald

3.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed (production review), 23 Jan 2014
I hadn't previously bought any books from the Collector's Library collection and foolishly didn't look at the dimensions of the product. The book turned out to be very small (and I mean /very/ small; it's a pocket sized book), and since I was looking for a full sized hardcover I wasn't happy, but I suppose I can't complain since it was my own fault for not checking the size and since it was so cheap. Because it was so small, the quality of it wasn't exactly wonderful either. To make it compact, the pages were incredibly thin; thin to the point where they are irritating to turn and you can faintly see the next page through the text. It's basically the same quality of paper that you would get inside a pocket dictionary; not an elegant hardback. Another thing that irritated me was that the edges of the pages were coated in gold, which on a normal edition probably would have looked nice and would have reflected the glamour of Gatsby, but since this was a very small and cheap edition, the gold edges only served to make it look tacky. The dust cover was quite nice though, and if you prefer keeping the dust cover on then the book would actually look quite nice, the golden edges don't look as bad with the dust cover as they do with the blood red cover underneath.

So overall, it's not a bad copy at all if you're looking specifically for a very small book which you can slip inside a pocket and carry everywhere; however if you're looking for a regular sized edition which you can proudly display and collect, then I wouldn't recommend it.

The Hogwarts Library Boxed Set including Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them
The Hogwarts Library Boxed Set including Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them
by J.K. Rowling

5.0 out of 5 stars Really impressed, 18 Dec 2013
I got this for one of my friends for her birthday and it came several days before predicted - and on the day right before her birthday too! Really carefully packaged, looks and feels great. Just wonderful overall.

Womens Vintage Designer Leather Style Satchel Shoulder Bag Dark Brown
Womens Vintage Designer Leather Style Satchel Shoulder Bag Dark Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite impressed, 21 Aug 2013
Got the satchel yesterday (which was two days earlier than expected) and I'm really happy with it. I ordered it for school and ordered this one specifically because it was made of faux leather. The satchel comfortably fits a couple of A4 notebooks but if you're planning on carrying more than 5 average refill pad sized copies at a time you should probably consider getting something bigger. The satchel has a lovely vintage looking floral interior and two smaller pockets inside as well as the one on the outside. Appearance wise I'm quite happy with it considering the price and I'm sure that with a bit of wear it will just keep on improving (I'm into things that look really used). It's quite big though so if you're a small person and don't want it to look bulky you should probably also consider getting something else. I'm a bit disappointed it didn't have a top handle but that was clear from looking at the photo and it's really not that big of a deal.

Overall very happy with this purchase and looking forward to showing this off at school.