Profile for tospo > Reviews

Jabra DRIVE Bluetooth Speakerphone - Black/Silver
Jabra DRIVE Bluetooth Speakerphone - Black/Silver
Price: 26.99

3.0 out of 5 stars would be better without the annoying light, 16 Oct 2011
This is the first hands-free speakerphone I bought, so I can't compare the quality to other products. At motorway speeds, I find that I have to turn the volume up all the way (although my car isn't particularly loud) at which point the sound quality does suffer a bit but it's still clear enough to hold a conversation. Pairing to a mobile phone is very easy and the device itself is easy to use and easily "installed" by clipping it onto the sun visor.
Two things about this device are badly designed though:
The on/off switch is very small and a bit tricky to operate sometimes but that's not too bad.
Worse: the status light is really annoying. It keeps flashing every now and again for quite long periods of time, I think when the phone goes into standby mode. This is particularly annoying at night because the flashing blue light just above your head is then very clearly visible and takes some getting used to. Why on earth do I need to know that it is in standby mode? Definitely a design flaw!

Neo G MEDICAL GRADE GOLF & TENNIS ELBOW STRAP with medical quality silicon insert, to dampen vibration
Offered by Online Sports Support Store
Price: 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars does what it says on the label, 20 Sep 2010
I play badminton just for fun once or twice a week but I recently had to stop because I had developed clear symptoms of tennis/golfer's elbow. I have used this strap for a few weeks now and it really helps - I have no symptoms right now. Of course you should bear in mind that there is no guarantee that it will help you just because it worked for me.

UPDATE:
I have used this strap for a little more than a month now and I just wanted to say that it really has helped and I have had no more problems with tennis elbow ever since I started using it. But of course you should also note those reviews here that say that it hasn't helped: there is obviously no guarantee that it will be the right thing for you. Still, at that price it's worth a shot, I'd say.
It has been pointed out that there are no instructions as to how it is to be used, which is true and a bit puzzling. It is dead easy though and the best description is right here on the page under "Product Descpription":
"Straighten arm palm face down
Position the round padded area onto the top protruding muscle just below elbow joint
Wrap strap around forearm and tighten till firm but comfortable & secure velcro"

You don't really need more instructions - it doesn't have WiFi... :-)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2011 11:29 AM GMT

Wii Sports Resort (Wii) with Wii MotionPlus Accessory
Wii Sports Resort (Wii) with Wii MotionPlus Accessory
Offered by Shop4World
Price: 34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars hooked...., 29 July 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I completely agree what most people have said about this game: it really brings you back to that wow moment whenthe Wii first came out. The games are a lot of fun but also quite intuitive and it is very easy to get hooked completely. The idea of this resort theme seemed a bit silly to me at first but actually draws you right into the game and after a whileit really does feel like a sports holiday on a tropical island. If you liked the original Wii Sports then this is a must have!

Bioinformatics, Biocomputing and Perl: An Introduction to Bioinformatics Computing Skills and Practice (Life Sciences)
by Michael Moorhouse
Price: 58.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good book for getting started, 9 July 2009
Excellent book for learning Perl for bioinformatics. The introduction to Perl is not quite as good as in this one:Beginning Perl for Bioinformatics but it goes a bit further and introduces database and web programming and even some graphics with Perl.

TomTom ONE IQ Routes Edition Satellite Navigation Unit Europe
TomTom ONE IQ Routes Edition Satellite Navigation Unit Europe

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little device - while it works...., 29 Jun 2009
Bought this two weeks ago and so far, I am impressed! It is really easy to use - I haven't even looked at the manual yet because everything is intuitive and clear. I have used it for long and short distance trips and I think the routes it finds are quite good. The spoken instructions are very clear and mostly easy to follow. I wasn't sure about the screen size I wanted but decided for the smaller one in the end and I think the screen is large enough and easy to read (AND I'm far-sighted an not normally too keen on reading maps). The touch screen works really well too. A very nice feature of this device is that it switches to a different view when it needs to show you which lane you should be in and what exactly is written on the overhead sign for that lane. That really helps to find your way in some more complicated situations. It also detects the light level and adjusts the screen accordingly when it gets dark. I was a bit sceptical when I bougt it - I never had a satnav and wasn't sure this would be a good idea but, so far, I have to say it was worth it. Recommended.
UPDATE: hmm, maybe I was too quick with my praise..... I updated the map a few day ago and now it isn't working anymore. The problem is that I didn't wait long enough to unplug the TomTom from the PC after finishing the download & installation of the new map. You have to wait until prompted to unplug it but since the prompt didn't appear after about 30 seconds I assumed that it should be ok now to unplug. Granted, that was my mistake but I think the device should be robust enough to deal with such a user mistake and I would be surprised if I would be the only one who ever did that. Anyway, the result was a lot of corrupted files on the device that I couldn't even delete through the Windows Explorer anymore. Luckily, I have a Linux operating system too, which was able to delete those (large) files. The map is still corrupted and I have to wait for customer support to give me a new download code for a new map. This whole thing has taken several evenings of my time already and is still not sorted out. I don't know if other satnavs are any better in this respect but I certainly think that TomTom need to improve this and make sure that it can at least recover from problems like this. For example, the device should never have indicated that the download and isntallation was actually finished when it was clearly still busy shifting files around. Still think it's a good gadget but be warned to be VERY, VERY CAREFUL with your updates!!

UPDATE
I'm still having problems with this. There are loads of corrupted files on the device and it is not possible to even use the backup because of this. I was able to delete most of the corrupted files in the end by switching to a Linux PC but if I had windows only I would have been stuck. The fact that the support staff keep telling me how simple it is to restore this doesn't really help much either, especially since they are unwilling or unable to tell me which files actually should and which should not be on the system. Very frustrating. Look through all the reviews for this device (inculding the XL version and the UK&ROI only version, which are basically all the same hard and software): you'll find quite a few people who report the same instability problems, so there is obviously something wrong with this thing. I think this is the point where I would take a couple of stars away from my rating but apparently this isn't possible when editing reviews here.

UPDATE2
OK, I got a replacement now and this time the map update has worked flawlessly even though it was interrupted half way through. Maybe I was just unlucky with the first one - we'll see....

UPDATE3
I have now used the device abroad for the first time - two weeks holiday in Poland. I have driven quite a distance within the country and visited several cities, also drove through Germany on the way. I can say that it worked very well there although due to the current massive road building programme in Poland, the map was sometimes outdated but still got me to my destination all the time. In the cities you also have to expect more incorrect routes (i.e. turns that you can't actually do and wrong way into a one way street) but all in all it worked well and if it does guide you wrong it quickly finds an alternative. I only had one situation where it got me into a bit of trouble by guiding me onto a road that turned more and more into a forest track. The quality of the map in Germany seems to be a lot better and probably is the same quality as in the UK.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 6, 2010 10:50 AM BST

BT Synergy 2150 with Answerphone - Twin Handset
BT Synergy 2150 with Answerphone - Twin Handset

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this!, 6 Aug 2006
I've had the 2150 for three years now and it is broken already. If you search the internet you will see there is a very common fault with this product: the handset looses contact to the base station and keeps displaying "searching". Some people suggest that this can be fixed by re-setting base and handset to factory settings but this definetely doesn't work for me.

Another downside (particularly bad when you have the above problem) is that you cannot acces the base station and the answering machine without the handset, so if your handset has no battery power you won't be able to listen to your messages.

Don't buy this.