Profile for Susannah > Reviews

Content by Susannah

Susannah

Page: 1 | 2
Don't Die with Your Music Still in You: My Experience Growing Up with Spiritual Parents
Price: 5.98

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful surprise!, 23 Jun 2014
When I first heard that Serena Dyer was writing a book, in my head I started to judge her immediately. Of course she was going to write a book! Being Dr. Wayne Dyer's daughter a publishing deal would be handed to her on a silver plate, wouldn't it? Whereas those things may be true the fact is that I got a lot out of this book and I am grateful she wrote it. I made the decision of buying it a long time before it came out, after I read one of Serena Dyer's newsletters and it resonated with me. I dropped my judgemental thoughts then when I thought "Oh, she also felt that growing up?"

In truth, Serena and most of us had very different backgrounds but that does not mean that her own upbringing made her life challenge free. Personally, in many areas, I needed the views of someone younger who lives in a world where the pressure to go to University is high and you're left confused with what to do with your life at the end of it. Having a university diploma is not the key to your life purpose, as many of us find out a little too late in the game. Whereas when Dr. Dyer was growing up, or my parents were growing up, that was a sure passport to landing a good job and multiple opportunities. Yes, her case is different because of who she is, but it doesn't mean she doesn't get pressure from society (she just doesn't get it from her family).

And yes, Serena is going to repeat a lot of what Wayne Dyer readers already know. But God knows I need things repeated to me over and over - maybe one day it'll sink in for good.

I loved how honest she is about how far she still has to go spiritually, what areas she still struggles with and I realised that despite having such different backgrounds we're probably at the same level spiritually. OK, I am 8 years older and that may mean I am a little behind but my father wasn't Wayne Dyer, so I am doing pretty well all considering (I say this jokingly) . This book also gives us an insight into the life and beliefs of Marcelene Dyer, Serena's mother.

I absolutely loved the "synchronicity" stories, or coincidences. Even though I've had enough proof in my life that the impossible happens, too often I find myself doubting what I lived and dismissing it as merely coincidence. Reading other people's stories gives me that confidence to believe again. And, again, reading Serena's experiences makes you realise that you don't have to meditate all day, pray or have lovely thoughts all the time for things to manifest (I suspected this anyway, as even I have manifested big things). It's more about becoming aware of your thoughts, correct them without guilt or blame, and try to be better where you can. Of course it'd be desirable to have control of what goes on in your head all the time, but we're just human. I always say that awareness is half the battle, and that is pretty good when we think how many people around us are living completely unaware of their actions and how they affect their lives.

Dr. Dyer comments at the end of each chapter, which added a nice touch.

This book felt informal, as if you were in a room with the author and she was relating those stories and experiences to you directly (then Dr. Dyer would come in, sit on the couch, and give his view). I didn't want to finish it. Nowadays I find that I prefer to read about experiences people have and what challenges they face themselves, than reading books full of formulas, what to do/think/say/eat, etc, to achieve whatever result.

If you enjoyed "You can create an exceptional life" by Louise Hay and Cheryl Richardson this book has the same feel to it. I recommend both if you haven't read either.

The Storyteller
The Storyteller
by Jodi Picoult
Price: 9.00

3.0 out of 5 stars It had all the ingredients to be an excellent story...it just wasn't, 6 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Storyteller (Hardcover)
This novel could have been so much better. It has some extremely gripping parts and characters, and at the same time it also manages to have extremely boring parts and characters, that are in no way believable. The ending is somewhat predictable and rushed.

For me it's a novel that had everything to be one of the best by Jodi Picoult but didn't quite take off.

Dog socks, non-slip, M-L (Example: Golden Retriever), 2 pcs, grey
Dog socks, non-slip, M-L (Example: Golden Retriever), 2 pcs, grey
Offered by Pet Connection
Price: 3.70

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong size - misleading, 30 May 2013
I bought M-L for my Labrador and they are way too small. The elastic on top is so tight it'd stop the blood circulation no doubt (even though the bottom bit stretches no problem). Very disappointed. Quality not great either. Will look at other brands.

If you're thinking of getting this get a size up or look for a different brand.

The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry
The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry
Price: 3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars So real, it hurts, 31 Aug 2012
I'm not going to write a long review because other people already have done it so well. I just want to say this book is amazing. I finished it a couple of days ago and I can't get it out of my system. I felt emotionally exhausted at the end, yet so pleased to have read a book that made me feel so many emotions. If you like books with rich people driving big cars, living in big mansions and marrying perfect partners, then this book is NOT for you. This is a book about YOU, that is about most of us, ordinary citizens of this world, who carry an history that's sometimes too heavy on our shoulders. It's about regret, missed opportunities and one last attempt to make amends.

Talk To The Snail
Talk To The Snail
Price: 3.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Twilight Zone, 17 Aug 2012
This review is from: Talk To The Snail (Kindle Edition)
I almost wanted to contact Mr. Clarke and ask him if he's sure that he's not living in Portugal? Because 98% of what I read applies to my country as well(our health system was never as permissive but did include Spas). Yet, it all seems to work out for the French because their economy is still going - I'd not say strong - but it's still alive whereas ours is on life support.

Very amusing reading.

(There are some issues on the Kindle version...some of the text is missing either on the right side of the screen or at the bottom which wasn't serious, but it's annoying).

Dying to Be Me: My Journey from Cancer, to Near Death, to True Healing
Dying to Be Me: My Journey from Cancer, to Near Death, to True Healing
by Anita Moorjani
Price: 7.69

5.0 out of 5 stars A book about living, 5 Mar 2012
This is one of the most beautiful books I ever read. It's not a book about death, it's about living life...fearlessly. Don't expect to find formulas on how to heal cancer, because it's not what this book is all about and yet it's worth reading because Anita's points of view, are really worth reading about.

To me this was a big eye opener and I sit here with a great sense of peace surrounding me. I think I finally get it.

Wishes Fulfilled: Mastering the Art of Manifesting
Wishes Fulfilled: Mastering the Art of Manifesting
Price: 5.65

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great, 3 Mar 2012
I felt this book was somewhat all over the place...like a long ramble. It was OK, really, just added very little, if anything, to what's out there regarding law of attraction/manifesting. And that's the problem with the book: it promises to be a book about manifesting but the author tends to go in all directions, usually with episodes about his life that drag a little too long and don't seem to lead to any kind of satisfactory conclusion i.e. did John of God heal him? (Dyer claims he did not take any more blood tests after the "healing"). For Wayne Dyer fans that listen to him on Hay House radio or have attended his lectures, this book presents nothing new.

Saying that, what else can be added to the law of attraction kind of themes? The "I am" requirement to manifest failed to convince me. Any affirmation can work and Louise Hay puts it so simply and to the point. I'm left feeling that the "I am" theory had to be thrown in because something new had to be added to justify writing yet another book on this subject.

"The Power of Intention" also by Wayne Dyer remains, in my opinion, one of the best works ever written on manifesting, not "Wishes fulfilled"

From Barcelona: Stories Behind The City Vol 1
From Barcelona: Stories Behind The City Vol 1

4.0 out of 5 stars Vol. 2 please..., 6 Feb 2012
I don't normally read short-stories but this book promised to give me an insight to life in Barcelona and the truth is, it lived up to its promise. One could argue how could I know if the author gave an accurate portrait? After all, I've only been to Barcelona twice, and never longer than 3 nights. As it happens, a lot of situations and Spanish people attitude towards life is the same of where I live (Portugal). So, this book did teach me one thing: all South-Europeans are probably very alike. And same goes for English speaking people who choose to move to sunny spots by the sea.

Also, the book is very well written and I really cared about the characters. It does require some minor editing but it's nothing serious.

I loved all the stories, but of course, I particularly liked the one involving Gaudí. Jeremy Holland managed to incorporate the many aspects of Barcelona: past and present.

I loved it! I'm looking forward to reading vol. 2.

Apple iPod touch 32GB - Black - 4th Generation (Launched Sept 2010)
Apple iPod touch 32GB - Black - 4th Generation (Launched Sept 2010)

1.0 out of 5 stars So sad, 29 Dec 2010
My iPod Touch lasted less than one week (I got it on Christmas day). Today I tried to turn it on and nothing happened. I thought it was strange since in the morning the battery was nearly full. I tried to charge it, and again, nothing!
Just took it back to the shop and the lady tried to connect it but again, no luck. She examined it and said there were scratch marks at the back of the iPod and on the screen. I was completely shocked because the iPod was out of the box and straight into a case (with screen protection as well). She showed me the scratches and yes, they were there (I never looked carefully because I was sure it was as new!).
I don't know what to think! I must have used it 4 times at most since I got it. No one else handled it but me and I am always extremely careful (that's why my other iPod looks new still) so I am lost...
The only thing I can think of was that I was sold (not by Amazon - this is nothing to do with Amazon) a machine that was returned by someone else. One of the things I found strange was that the iPod didn't come with an instruction booklet (could anyone confirm if this was the case for them as well?).

Is it possible to find out via the serial number if my iPod was sold and returned at some point? Thanks in advance.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 23, 2011 7:40 AM GMT

My Boyfriend is a Twat: A Guide to Recognising, Dealing, and Living with an Utter Twat
by Zoe McCarthy

5.0 out of 5 stars Brings you some peace of mind really..., 2 Nov 2007
Apart from a very good laugh I got some peace of mind with it. I know it may sound selfish but there is some comfort in knowing that men are pretty much all the same (if you're kicking one out the house expecting to find your ideal man, well...buy this book).

I related to so many of the stories I couldn't put it down until I finished. It'll make a good (down-to-earth) present to all your girlfriends this christmas.

Page: 1 | 2