ARRAY(0xa20e8a5c)

Eddie Izzard: Force Majeure Live [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Eddie Izzard
Price: 5.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but wanted to like it more than I did, 12 April 2014
If you like Eddie Izzard, you should enjoy this DVD. I did but found it lacking the breadth and edginess of earlier routines. Still a clever, funny man but a bit on the tame side; nothing too thought provoking; steered clear of anything too contentious. Getting ready for politics maybe?

The Mysterious Stranger
The Mysterious Stranger
Price: 0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly modern ideas, 31 Mar 2014
Really good writing although that's a given. It's a short story set in medieval Europe. Three friends meet an Angel who shares the same family name as his outcast brother, Satin. A short engaging read, It's really a vehicle for venting his obvious frustration at the way humans conduct themselves; some pretty radicle ideas about religion, faith and the nature of life and in the end solipsism is offered as a possibility. This fella died in 1910! Way ahead of his time. Worth reading for that alone.

Wuthering Heights
Wuthering Heights
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, moody, tense and utterly engrossing, 31 Mar 2014
This review is from: Wuthering Heights (Kindle Edition)
I have read and re-read Wuthering Heights more than any other book I own. I always find the first three chapters dull but they do form an essential contrast to the lives and loves of the Earnshaws and the Lintons. The stories are told by our narrators, Lockwood and Nelly Dean and populated with memorable, if not always particularly pleasant or likeable characters.
There is so much passion, cruelly, angst, love, betrayal, damnation and ultimately redemption that I find myself suffering from a period of withdrawal every time I finish reading it. Incidentally, it is due to the power and skill of the writer that even though matters of a carnal nature are never directly alluded to at all, the thing just drips with with sex. It's a brooding animal presence throughout.

I am never sure if Heathcliff and Cathy are not simply destined to enjoy their damnation together at the end, redemption being reserved for the living survivors of the revenge of Heathcliff; our rough but enigmatic protagonist. Both tormented and tormentor. I have never seen a film adaptation which truly portrays the story and it characters even adequately. This is a novel that best resides in the imagination and I am sure , for myself at least, this is where it plays out most satisfyingly.
A word about this kindle version: seems to be a good copy with no glaring errors that I have spotted.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 5, 2014 1:16 PM BST

Roget's Thesaurus - Definitive Edition [Fully Searchable]
Roget's Thesaurus - Definitive Edition [Fully Searchable]
Price: 1.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Working copy, 31 Mar 2014
It works and does what it says on the tin, so to speak. Handy to have when you are struggling for the right word. Not much else you can say about a functioning electronic Thesaurus except, as with other reference books, you want to use it with a touch screen, otherwise it gets laborious.

Watchers
Watchers
Price: 3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A man, a woman, a dog....again, 31 Mar 2014
This review is from: Watchers (Kindle Edition)
It's a quick if slightly silly horror read. It will pass the time but it isn't time you'll get back so if you haven't read this one but you have read a few other Koontz novels, you might want try some other authors. If you are a really big Koontz fan, you might not appreciate a review from someone who is getting a bit tired of the formula. Which is: a man, a woman, a dog, some other dogs and another dastardly government plot. I finished it. It was OK

Dark Rivers of the Heart
Dark Rivers of the Heart
Price: 3.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Another dog, another conspiracy, 31 Mar 2014
I finished this book not too long ago but am already struggling to recall the plot in any detail. My impressions remain though and are as follows: there's a man and a woman and a sinister government plot...........and a dog.
It's written well enough to keep you reading but If, like me you have now read a few Koontz novels, you may well be getting a little inured to the formula.

Midnight
Midnight
Price: 3.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Strange things are happening in Moonlight Cove, oh and there's a dog. Who'd have thunk it?, 31 Mar 2014
This review is from: Midnight (Kindle Edition)
There is a cast of likely characters. Man in a wheelchair takes on role of unlikely sidekick hero; there's a woman providing the spunky heroine and love interest combined and the actual reluctant and main protagonist hero........oh and there's a dog. If you've read a few Dean Koontz novels, you will recognise the general formula and be expecting another dog. Want to guess the breed? Labrador did you say? Give yourself a gold star!
Listen, this is actually a fairly engaging read. There are strange beasts abroad at night, some gruesome Murders, a terrible corporate plot to take over the universe.....hey, wake up, I haven't finished yet. It feels very familiar but that is probably the appeal. A reliable read when you don't want to have to invest too much effort into the experience. Nothing wrong with that. OK now I'm finished.

The Fall of Hyperion (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
The Fall of Hyperion (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 31 Mar 2014
Loved it. Great sequel to Hyperion. Not sure I understood everything towards the end but that's ok, because I am sure I will read it again. The Shrike strikes; war is waged; there's a lot of fast paced action. People die, people live and then die and live again. The nature of the god entity and the Core are revealed and as we hurtled towards the climax, the turning point or indeed the point of no return for the web worlds, I felt almost out of breath! Really, really good stuff!

Tell, Don't Show!
Tell, Don't Show!
Price: 0.96

2.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes you buy these things, 31 Mar 2014
This review is from: Tell, Don't Show! (Kindle Edition)
Sometimes you buy these things and then after you have read them, think to yourself............learn anything? And the answer is yes, I did, I learnt that I had only been conned out of less than a quid, so no harm done. Price of a small bar of chocolate. I don't think this is a book for people who are serious about writing but as I am not actually a writer, what do I know?

Odd Thomas
Odd Thomas
Price: 2.78

3.0 out of 5 stars As the rating suggests, this is an ok read, 31 Mar 2014
This review is from: Odd Thomas (Kindle Edition)
Some novel ideas and an engaging set of characters, particularly our central protagonist. Pretty good writing. Nothing too demanding but engages to a satisfactory level. Self appointed detective to the spirit world foils nasty terror plot with the help of some ghosts and a complicit actual detective. Content includes humour, angst and pathos.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7