Profile for Mr. Paul S. Roper > Reviews

Content by Mr. Paul S. Roper

Mr. Paul S. Roper

Panasonic MC-UL594 ECO MAX - Bagless Upright Cleaner
Panasonic MC-UL594 ECO MAX - Bagless Upright Cleaner

2.0 out of 5 stars Lasted a whole two years and 8 days before the motor burnt out!, 15 July 2014
I think I've done quite well - I managed to make my Panasonic MC-UL594 ECO MAX - Bagless Upright Cleaner last two years and 8 days before the motor burnt out. I bought this, like many others, on the strength of a Which? review. Here are my thoughts, after two years of use:

Pros:
Very powerful suction. I've never been a fan of upright vacuum cleaners - their suction is usually pathetic. But this is very powerful. Hence the two stars in this review, not just one. This just sucks up everything in its path, which is great.

No bags to buy.

Cons:
The motor died after two years. I should've read the reviews here! But as I said, I should count myself one of the lucky ones - two years is above average for this machine. Probably because I don't use it as often as I should. But this motor failure is obviously ridiculous and unacceptable in the real world. I will attack the cleaner later with a screwdriver and voltmeter to see if it's fixable, but from other peoples' research, it seems like this is destined for landfill. Nice environmental responsibility, Panasonic.

Weight. This thing is ludicrously heavy. Especially for something that evidently has a flimsy, fragile motor. And I'm a 6ft bloke who builds stuff.

Noise. Wow - since the invention of the ear-bleeding Dyson, I assume the thinking behind vacuum cleaners is "HEY EVERYBODY! I'M CLEANING THE HOUSE! LOOK AT ME BEING BUSY AND STUFF! YES, EVEN YOU PEOPLE WAY DOWN THE STREET - YOU CAN HEAR ME TOO!". Why else would they make using these things akin to standing in the middle of the runway at Heathrow? I also have a Miele vacuum cleaner from 1993 which is as blissfully quiet today as it was 21 years ago.

Flappiness of something underneath. Whenever you run this cleaner over a change in floor surfaces, it's accompanied by a plasticky "crack" sound, as if something is about to break off underneath. The thing never broke off, so I assume it's "as designed".

Filth. As many other reviewers have pointed out, emptying the dust container is something best left for some kind of industrial radioactive waste clean-up crew. You WILL get a face full of dust. And you will also have to pick out all the hair and stuff from the filtery things. You might as well just pick up the hair and stuff off the floor, rather than vacuum it up, then pick it out of this machine.

So in conclusion, if you can find a different vacuum cleaner with this power, buy it. Not this one.

WS 9130-IT - Weather Station
WS 9130-IT - Weather Station
Offered by eGadgetland

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems to do everything a much more expensive model does, 28 Mar. 2014
I've had this for about a year now; it's been through rain, snow, frost and sun, and is still working perfectly. I've had to change the batteries once. A great product.

Fade To Grey 1980 - 1984
Fade To Grey 1980 - 1984
Offered by 101Trading

4.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous without much "padding"., 28 Mar. 2014
A great compilation, without many of those time-filling tracks that inevitably appear on most compilations - you know the kind, the ones you normally skip. Ahhhh...the 80s....was there ever a finer decade?!

HP Deskjet 3070 A Colour Multifunctional Printer
HP Deskjet 3070 A Colour Multifunctional Printer

1.0 out of 5 stars Wireless printing works 1% of the time; drinks ink by the gallon; scanning software is worse than useless, 28 Feb. 2014
This is SUCH a frustrating printer. I have lost count of the number of times I have reinstalled the ludicrously bloated HP drivers for this piece of junk. It will print wirelessly if there's a J in the month and the wind is blowing from the south-west. Maybe. Well, probably not. If you accept that this is NOT a wireless device, then you'll be a lot happier. Assuming you're happy to wait about 3 minutes whenever you switch it on while it goes through its utterly ridiculous startup routine. Unless you try to scan something - the software that comes with it (or downloads of the HP site) is enough to make you want to take a shotgun to the printer. It is the worst-written, most unintuitive, most annoying piece of software I have ever had the misfortune to use. For starters, if you do manage to get something to start scanning, if you go to any other program while it's scanning, it stops. Maybe someone should tell HP that there is a concept in programming known as multi-tasking...invented around 1954. Oh, I really can't be bothered to list all the faults with this piece of utterly useless waste of plastic and its associated software - I'd be here all day. If you're reading this, then you're probably considering buying one. Just don't. Or you can have mine, for free. If you come round while I'm trying to scan something, I'll probably actually pay you to take the poxy thing away.

It was very hard to write that review without a LOT of swearing. That is how much I hate, hate, hate this printer. I would give this thing ZERO stars if Amazon allowed it.

Eye-Fi Connect X2 4GB Wireless SDHC Memory Card
Eye-Fi Connect X2 4GB Wireless SDHC Memory Card

1.0 out of 5 stars Worse than useless. Lost loads of photos., 3 Sept. 2012
I shot a load of images with one of these cards in my camera. To my horror, when I looked through the images, only about a third of them had been recorded. There was no particular logic to which ones had been recorded and which ones had been lost (apart from sod's law - the best images were lost forever). I tried every conceivable method to scour the card for the images, hoping they might be hidden away somewhere, but no, they were lost forever. This card is therefore MUCH worse than useless - at least if you had no card in your camera you'd know it, and not go out on a once-in-a-lifetime shoot, assuming that the card would actually record the images. I would return the card for a refund, but I threw it away in a raging fit of disgust. If I'd had a shotgun, I'd have blasted the card into oblivion.

I am a very experienced photographer and image retoucher; it was not user error - I have used digital cameras, SD cards and CompactFlash cards for many years, and have in-depth knowledge of file systems and image formats.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 28, 2014 5:37 PM GMT

Maya: Secrets of the Pros
Maya: Secrets of the Pros
by Dariush Derakhshani

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 23 Mar. 2010
This has large sections which are completely irrelevant and useless - instructions on how to create the kind of useless models you might make when you're really bored and don't really know the software - nothing that's of any use to any one. The illustrations and annotations are appalling! Some of the projects are just awful - there are a couple that I, as a relative beginner, would be too ashamed to put on my showreel! One that springs to mind is the most awful render of some hair plonked onto a broken 3D scan of a person. Don't buy it!