Profile for PR > Reviews

Content by PR

PR (Wales)

Sixty-One Nails (The Courts of the Feyre Book 1)
Sixty-One Nails (The Courts of the Feyre Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Slow paced and dull, 25 Nov. 2013
I'm ashamed to say I gave up a third of the way through. I've enjoyed similar urban fantasy books like Neverwhere and the PC Peter Grant stories and I liked the sound of Sixty One Nails. However, I found this very slow paced and did little to intrigue me. It's not like me to give up on a book or write a review but in this case, as the weight of reviews were positive and influenced my decision to purchase, I thought I should provide some balance. This book is not in the same class as the other books I've mentioned.

Tom-All-Alone's (Charles Maddox 2)
Tom-All-Alone's (Charles Maddox 2)

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed after reading good reviews, 24 Mar. 2012
I'm an avid reader of historical fiction and this seemed to tick all the right boxes for me. I put a lot of faith in customer reviews and this book seemed flawless.

Unfortunately I have to disagree with the majority of reviews of this book. The characters, particularly Charles Maddox, were superficial and difficult to engage with. The omniscient observer style is ineffective and the main reason why the reader is unable to connect with the characters.

The plot meanders and is difficult to fathom at times. I still don't really understand the purpose of most of Maddox's investigation. It was slow and laborious!

I don't usually do negative reviews but I felt compelled in this case as the reviews I read were of no use to me. Perhaps this will provide some balance for others considering buying the book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 3, 2012 9:03 AM BST

Total Life Forever
Total Life Forever

5.0 out of 5 stars A Foaler Sound!, 28 May 2010
This review is from: Total Life Forever (Audio CD)
This certainly is a slight departure from the first album. However, Total Life Forever is far superior to Antidotes!

Don't get me wrong, I loved Antidote's picky, manic guitar style but this album develops a much more mature soundscape. There are some fantastic layers of sound throughout these new tracks and some greats beats. In particular '2 Trees' is reminiscent of the innovative percussion developed by Radiohead since OK Computer.

I love every song. The album has a consistency and continuity which doesn't tempt you to forward to favourite tracks. It is a pretty impressive record and one which I haven't been able to stop playing in it's entirely since I downloaded it two days ago. Well done Foals!

The Waking
The Waking
by T. M. Jenkins

5.0 out of 5 stars IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!, 12 Aug. 2009
This review is from: The Waking (Paperback)
Amazon kept recommending this book for me based on my purchase of 'The Road' and 'The Death of Grass'. I ignored it for a while but was eventually drawn in. I'M GLAD!!

'The Waking' is a thrilling read exploring the moral and ethical issues of cryogenics, and the possible future of medicine and the environment. I won't spoil my review, or the novel, by recounting the story. Suffice to say if you're reading these reviews you've got a pretty good idea of what it's about.

It's very fast paced in much the same vein as 'The Da Vinci Code' (but don't let that put you off!!!). I'm surprised it hasn't received more exposure and fully expect to see it made into a film.

Some silly giant squid fighting towards the end doesn't even dampen my enthusiasm for this book. I can't wait to read T.M. Jenkins' next novel.

Wouldn't it be Nice: My Own Story
Wouldn't it be Nice: My Own Story
by Todd Gold

5.0 out of 5 stars The Alternative 'Life of Brian', 25 Jun. 2009
I've always loved the Beach Boys so thought I'd delve a bit deeper into the life of Brian. I've read several unofficial biographies which often simply condemn Brian as mad and lazy.

This book is absolutely absorbing because this is his version of events. He is brutally honest about his decline and you begin to understand why the other Beach Boys became increasingly frustrated and annoyed with his behaviour. His paranoia is fascinating; as is his modest perception of his own genius.

His love/hate relationship with his cousin Mike Love is also explored. Brian always felt that he was bullied by Mike so this was a great insight as other biographies I've read only usually give you Mike's version.

The book left me feeling very sympathetic to Brian Wilson. So many people seemed to have taken advantage of the poor guy. Even as he slumped into severe mental illness his friends and family simply seem to have left him in bed diagnosed with addiction and laziness.

The book leaves a sour after-taste as well. It was written in the mid 1990's when Brian was being treated by a doctor with questionable motives, Dr Eugene Landy. I found myself screaming "No Brian, you're letting it happen again!"

Brilliant. Couldn't put it down. I've loaned it to friends and family, who are not Beach Boys fans, and they've all felt the same.

How Green Was My Valley (Penguin Modern Classics)
How Green Was My Valley (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Richard Llewellyn

5.0 out of 5 stars A book about a moral society, 21 Jun. 2009
This is my favourite book. Being a man of the valleys, with a good knowledge of it's industrial history, means I have to suspend my disbelief when I read it.

It's an idyllic industrial South Wales with high moral standards and a united community. The core of the story revolves around family values and the clash of politics and religion.

An engaging story beautifully written. You really should read it.

The Complete History of Jack the Ripper
The Complete History of Jack the Ripper
by Philip Sugden

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping and intelligent! A real page-turner, 10 May 2009
I was looking for a good book on the Jack the Ripper murders after watching the crime series Whitechapel on ITV.

I was aware that there are a lot of terrible books written on the subject. Many of these contain awful conspiracy theories or twist the facts to suit the latest ridiculous money-spinning 'revelation'.

I wanted a book that presents the facts and lets you decide. Phillip Sugden's book does just that. He does not base his research on the incorrect writings of others, instead he goes back through the archive and presents the facts with intelligent reasoning, rather than to support a biased theory. The research of each murder and suspect is placed in context by amazing descriptions of the Whitechapel slums and its residents.

I couldn't put it down. It is an incredible piece of scholarly research. I can't recommend it enough. BUY IT!

Rich And Strange 2CD Set
Rich And Strange 2CD Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to hear it on CD but could have been even better!, 28 Aug. 2006
Having continually played their LP's for the last 17 years, and replaced my vinyl with expensive CD's on Ebay, I was really chuffed when this anthology was issued.

While it is great value for money and contains the best from the A&M years, there are some glaring omissions from the Imaginary years. Where is Now! Where is Push and Shove? And, where is Bibi?!! She was miopic!