Profile for Lilly T > Reviews

Nux Vomica
Offered by mrtopseller
Price: 3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting and seductive, 15 Feb 2007
This review is from: Nux Vomica (Audio CD)
I went to watch a The Veils gig without knowing anything about them, on the recommendation of a friend, and they were extremely captivating. So I bought this album.

It is now one of my favourite's and I haven't stopped listening to it since.

I love Finn Andrews' vocals and I find every track truly engaging. It is a very joyful album - from the obvious pop sensibilities of Advice for Young Mother's to be, to the Nick Cave-y Nux Vomica.

It is increasingly less often that albums are being written to be listened to as a whole but Nux Vomica is quite traditional in this sense - it draws you into a world and you don't want to stop listening.

The album is as exciting and seductive as seeing The Veils play live.

Some Loud Thunder
Some Loud Thunder
Offered by MasterDVD
Price: 4.57

3.0 out of 5 stars Give it a try, 15 Feb 2007
This review is from: Some Loud Thunder (Audio CD)
In the old days we, the listeners, didn't want the same album with the same songs on it, churned out release after release. A band was allowed, and expected, to grow.

It seems like the opposite has now happened.

Some Loud Thunder has been panned and derided as "too experimental" by the esteemed music press. I have never read anything as idiotic and unimaginative as most of the reviews.

Yes, it's very different to the debut and, yes, it doesn't make me want to dance around the kitchen as the previous album did. However, it does make me want to really listen to it.

As another reviewer on here has stated, it still has the same CYHSY elements on it - the brilliant vocals, the great songs and unintelligable lyrics, and I really think that once the shock has faded, people will love it as much as the first album.

Stand out tracks for me are Mama won't help you..., Goodbye to the mother and obviously Satan said dance, which has the kitchen dancing elements to it.

A much more developed album - give it a try...

The Little Friend
The Little Friend
by Donna Tartt
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 17 Jan 2007
This review is from: The Little Friend (Paperback)
I enjoyed Secret History but I loved The Little Friend much, much more. Harriet is a brilliantly strong and exciting character who carries this book along with spirit and intrigue.

It is not an easy read. The atmosphere is oppressive and the story is complex, drawn out and precise. This book requires concentration, patience and thought. However, it is more than worth it.

The Little Friend is brilliantly written and an incredible and amazing story.

Framed
Framed
by Frank Cottrell Boyce

5.0 out of 5 stars Like sunshine, 12 Jan 2007
This review is from: Framed (Paperback)
I have just finished reading Framed and feel like the sun should be shining outside.

Framed is one of those books that you don't want to finish. It is full of charm and warmth.

There are so many great characters that you want to find out more about - does Mr Davis build up his life again to become happy? - what happens to the blossoming romance between Lester and Ms Stannard? Dylan is such a well formed character that you want to know what else happens to him and his family.

I absolutely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading anything. It is a delight.

I Am A Bird Now
I Am A Bird Now
Price: 10.17

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 20 Nov 2006
This review is from: I Am A Bird Now (Audio CD)
This is a heartbrachingly tender and intimate album. My favourite track is Bird Ghurrl which portrays a longing for freedom and a yearning for the future. Anthony is almost unequalled in the current music scene.

I am looking forward to the next release to see if this inspiration can be sustained.