Profile for Ben > Reviews

B'day
B'day
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

3.0 out of 5 stars B'Day = Average!, 4 Sept. 2006
This review is from: B'day (Audio CD)
01: Deja Vu - Didn't like it two months ago find it listenable enough now though: (6/10)

02: Get Me Bodied - Kinda like it, nothing amazing but good enough to keep me listening: (7/10)

03: Suga Mama - no no no really not my thing but pallatable enough: (5/10)

04: Upgrade U - One of my favs of the album ruined by the JayZ rap; great anyway: (8/10)

05: Ring The Alarm - really doesn't fit with the rest of the album but it kinda works, a fresh sound for her: (8/10)

06: Kitty Kat - A skipper for me, doesn't have any edge to it which wants to make me listen: (3/10)

07: Freakum Dress - kinda repetitive and lyrically weird, its alright though like the vocals: (7/10)

08: Green Light - has a 'Crazy In Love' vibe to it, not bad but the constant 'uh-ohhhs' are annoying: (6/10)

09: Irreplacable - Why not more songs like this, a really pleasent suprise. Love the mellow vibe: (9/10)

10: Resentment - just awful, I couldn't listen to it all the way through although its very Alicia behind Bey taking: (2/10)

-- bonus tracks --

You have Check On It which I never did like and another one called Listen which should have made the original track listening, its beautiful - its cool hidden away though

Final Word:

Its a good album with enough highpoints to enjoy it, my only big gripe is lyrically its nothing more the average to good. Also the lack of variety is disappointing, she maybe great at the 'booty-shakers' but another couple of ballads to make the CD a bit longer (12 complete tracks isn't to much to ask) would have been great for me!

Best Tracks: Upgrade U, Ring The Alarm, & Irreplacable

Worst Tracks: Kitty Kat & Resentment

Back To Basics
Back To Basics
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars A Tale Of Two Disks Connected By Pure Quality!, 4 Sept. 2006
This review is from: Back To Basics (Audio CD)
Disk One:

01:Intro (Back To Basics) - Nice little intro, nothing special but I assume she'll keep the into's coming with every album: (6/10)

02:Makes Me Wanna Pray - Love the gospel vibe, the vocals are amazing although OTT but I like: (7/10)

03:Back In The Day - One of my favourates from disk one, fresh with a great vibe - it doesn't get much better: (9/10)

04:Ain't No Other Man - I've over-exposed myself to this track now, but a great comeback: (8/10)

05:Understand - I simply love it, such a great r&b ballad a true highlight: (9/10)

06:Slow Down Baby - The most urban track and it took me a while to get into but good enough to keep on listening: (7/10)

07:Oh Mother - heartfelt and moving, prehaps my favourate from disk 1: (10/10)

08:F.U.S.S (Interlude) - Um, lyrically hillarious and loving her attitude but why is it here!? Not necessary: (4/10)

09:On Our Way - Nice vibe but kinda average for her, I can still listen too it with ease though: (6/10)

10:Without You - Loving how different it is to the rest of the disk, has that mellowness I love: (8/10)

11:Still Dirrty - has one of the most addictive beats on the album, a good carry on from a classic pop song: (8/10)

12:Here To Stay - I hope she is! Although a weaker moment, its undoubtedly Aguilera with the empowering lyrics: (6/10)

13:Thank You(Dedication To Fans...) - well I like the beginning and the parts where she sings...: (2/10)

Disk Two:

01:Enter The Circus - Just Genius: (10/10)

02:Welcome - love the lyrics, gives us a true taster of what her life is like as an entertainer: (8/10)

03:Candyman - fun, different and sexy. what more do you want from a record? Huge vocals and no doubt a future single: (9/10)

04:Nasty Naughty Boy - Oh my oh my, one of the best and most daring on the album. love it: (9/10)

05:I Got Trouble - such a great vibe, lyrically good and vocally different. thumbs up: (7/10)

06:Hurt - Christina's new masterpeice, touching and moving - ballads don't get much better lyrically or vocally: (10/10)

07:Mercy On Me - Such a good pleading for forgiveness song, something different from her which I like: (8/10)

08:Save Me From Myself - My vocal highpoint, so restrained something we aren't use to from her but it gives her a fragile edge and is just beautiful: (10/10)

09:The Right Man - Nothing wrong with this track, but I don't feel it as much as the others: (6/10)

-- Bonus Video --

A nice little extra, her relationship with her produces seem so fab hopefully we can expect more from the interesting combination of Christina, DJ Premier and Linda Perry!

Final Word:

A great effort in my opinion, the lyrics on the album are superior to most coming from artists of her generation and vocally she's on top form - superb production from DJ Premier and Linda Perry makes a varity which I love! You can tell that Christina's taken her time and worked hard to get everything as good as she could, yes a couple of duds are thrown in but the whole package is just excellent. The glossy booklet with the lyrics and great artwork makes it an album to buy rather then download!

Best Tracks: Back In The Day, Understand, Oh Mother, Candyman, Hurt & Save Me From Myself.

Worst Tracks: F.U.S.S & Thank You

Ain't No Other Man [Cd2]
Ain't No Other Man [Cd2]
Offered by dischiniccoli

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Remixes of a Great Track!, 24 July 2006
The track of the summer gets reworked several times and makes a great collection for any taste, if you loved the original and the instrumental this is well worth getting!

Ain't No Other Man
Ain't No Other Man
Offered by JB's CDs DVDs

5.0 out of 5 stars Pop Release Of The Year?, 24 July 2006
This review is from: Ain't No Other Man (Audio CD)
I think so, everything about it is better then any other release this year - the vocals, the production by DJ Premier and musically this track trumps them all and is sure to be one of the tracks of the summer!

Where You Live
Where You Live

5.0 out of 5 stars Be Not Afraid Of This Superb Album!, 12 Sept. 2005
This review is from: Where You Live (Audio CD)
This is my most anticipated album of the year, and it is quiet simply amazing - their isn't much of a change but when she's been making near flawless albums over the past decade their really is no need for her too!

The Lyrics - Thought-provoking, loving and yes at times realistically depressing!

The Voice - Fantastic as usual, at times haunting - argubly the most unique voice of today!

The Music - More of the brilliant same really, simple strings and beats; its all about the voice raelly so the music tends to take a back seat when you listen through the album but thats not to say it isn't great!

Best Songs - Change, Talk To You, 3000 miles, Don't Dwell, Never Yours, Loves Proof, America, Taken and Be And Be Not Affraid (yet another brilliant closing track!) - I know though I will fall for every track here like I have for all Tracy's songs!

Tracy really has on this her 7th album touched upon the brilliance that her first album is known for, it deserves to be heard - 10/10!

Collection
Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Intoduction To A Fantastic Artist, 22 Jan. 2005
This review is from: Collection (Audio CD)
The only gripe I have about this album is that some people may just buy this 'collection' album and expect that this is as good as it gets. The truth is every Tracy Chapman album is sensational and this though a good start has missed several Tracy gems which appear on the other albums...

Back to this collection, it's in my opinion the best 'greatest hits' album available - you cannot deny the talent Tracy has, she's a great song writter, has a fantastic and unique voice.

The songs choosen for this album are faultless, You have the well known tracks 'Fast Car', 'Baby Can I Hold You' and 'Talkin' Bout A Revolution' - but every track here is sublime, my personal favs are including the one's mentioned are 'Smoke And Ashes', 'Crossroads', 'Telling Stories', 'Give Me One Reason', actually I love them all. Each song is as breath taking, thought provoking beautiful and just as sublime as the next.

overall mark: 99.9%

Matters Of The Heart
Matters Of The Heart

5.0 out of 5 stars Tracy Does It Again..., 22 Jan. 2005
This review is from: Matters Of The Heart (Audio CD)
This is yet another masterpiece from one of the most fantastic artists I have discovered in my relatively short life...

The opening song 'Bang Bang Bang' I first heard on her faultless 'collection' album, and it's a fantastic way to start the album. Then it moves on to 'So', which is yet another thought-provoking song like so many of Tracy songs are - the theirs 'I Used to Be a Sailor', this is sad yet beautiful song and shows us that she's such a master storyteller!

'The Love That You Had' really shows of her voice at it's best with yet more beautiful lyrics, 'If These Are the Things' is so unmistakebly Tracy like all her recordings are, it moves on nicely to a more upbeat effort from Tracy. 'Short Supply' is just as breath takingas any of her material.

As you come to the last three tracks you'd expect them to become medocre, but if anything they become better - which seems immpossible due to the earlier quality. 'Dreaming on a World' is a wishful song about world peace and how relevent it is in todays world, it just shows how far ahead of her time she really was. I first heard 'Open Arms' on her 'Collection' album and it is amoung my favourate Tracy recordings, it have yet to become tired of it and probably never will. 'Matters of the Heart' is an epic in all respects and is a great way to finish an unbelievable album.

Tracy Chapman has become my favourate artist ever, and this album gives me a reason to love her more. It's a real shame that this album is largly over-looked by people who buy her albums its a superb album!

In The Middle
In The Middle
Offered by firefly-music-store

4.0 out of 5 stars actually 4 and a half, 13 Mar. 2004
This review is from: In The Middle (Audio CD)
Yet another cracker from the babes', more 'round round' than 'to lost in you'... This is why there the best british girl band, bar none!

Try
Try
Offered by Music-Finder

5.0 out of 5 stars Best She Ever Written...., 10 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Try (Audio CD)
Not only is this the best track of her amazing album 'folklore', it's one of the best tracks released so far this year... Keep up the good work nelly, your time will come!

Real
Real

5.0 out of 5 stars Plumbs so Real..., 30 Jan. 2004
This review is from: Real (Audio CD)
Never heard of her till this song. On the strength of this song, she's in the same league as other americian artists such as Jewel! This is one of the best singles so far this year...
A huge thumbs up for plumb!!!

Page: 1 | 2