Profile for A. Jackson > Reviews

Content by A. Jackson

A. Jackson (Essex, UK)

D-Link DSL-320B ADSL2+ Ethernet Modem - UK
D-Link DSL-320B ADSL2+ Ethernet Modem - UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well but short cables hamper installation., 8 July 2014
Easy to setup, had it working with my Draytek router in 10 mins.
Beware the short cables though, the power and line cables were a lot shorter than my old modem so made installation a pain.

Smart Technology Super Mini Qi Wireless Charger for Samsung Galaxy S4, S3 and Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and Nokia Lumia 920 and 820 and Google Nexus 4

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great with Nexus 5 but no power supply, 13 Nov 2013
The charger works great with the Nexus 5.

Note that even though the description states a power supply is included it is not. Just the charging pad and a standard USB to Micro USB cable. It didn't bother me for this price and I have plenty of chargers around.

GS10 - Global Cheese Knife -14cm
GS10 - Global Cheese Knife -14cm
Offered by Russums

5.0 out of 5 stars It's the holes that make the difference, 5 April 2013
Bought this as a bit of a luxury and to add to my growing set of Global knives which are all of extremely high quality.

My first use on a bit of hard cheddar had me really surprised, the knife glided through almost as if it was a piece of brie. The holes in it reduce friction so you get a very easy cut and far less crumbling. Of course being Global it's razor sharp as well.

A great addition to any Global knife rack if you can justify the cost.

Maxell Air Voltage Qi Charging Mat
Maxell Air Voltage Qi Charging Mat

4.0 out of 5 stars Great with Nexus 4, 4 April 2013
Charged the Nexus 4 fine, even with the official bumper fitted to it.

Charging area seems large enough, I've never had it mis-aligned and the phone gives a re-assuring beep when it starts charging.

Downsides are the faint ticking which is common with QI chargers and the large blue light if your going to place it in a bedroom but that's not my use so I'm fine with it.

Power supply a bit on the bulky side with an awkward shape/cable exit so you may have to juggle things around if you're using a multi way power block.

Logitech Squeezebox Touch
Logitech Squeezebox Touch
Offered by Empire Group

4.0 out of 5 stars Audibly improved over Receiver, 27 May 2012
Being a long time squeezebox fan and having several Receivers, Boom and Controller I was intrigued when I read that the digital spdif transport is improved on the Touch compared with the Receiver, almost to Transporter levels.

I wondered whether my main living room equipment was high end enough to notice this difference but thought I'd give it a shot. On both receiver and touch I'm connecting via coax using an AudioQuest VDM1 to an Onkyo TX-NR1009 receiver, DALI Zensor 5 speakers and DALI E-12F sub.

There is definitely something improved with the Touch. Can't pinpoint it as I'm not an audiophile but I'd say things just sound crisper and the sub seems more controlled not running away with itself as much as I felt it had a tendency to do.

Was easier to setup than the Duet's and the spectral analyser add's a bit of bling to my system. The touchscreen is a fingerprint magnet and I don't intend to use it much directly but via the controller, phone app, web site as I did the receiver.

4 stars as it would have been nice to have had a bigger screen and also for the angle to be adjustable.

Metaverse
Metaverse

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect definition of trance, 5 May 2010
This review is from: Metaverse (MP3 Download)
This album and the previous A Place Called Happiness are fantastic.

A very space orientated theme to them that lets you drift away with your imagination.

Not as vocal/commercial as Tiesto or Armin Van Buuren but well worth a listen.

Xbox Official Controller S
Xbox Official Controller S

5.0 out of 5 stars XBox Controller S, 18 Sep 2003
Originally just for the Japanese Market the controller S was considered too small for us westerners hands. At last Microsoft have bowed to pressure and released it over here.
As well as being smaller than the standard Xbox controller the controller S also features a new button layout
The primary buttons are now in a more traditional cross layout making them much easier to reach.
The secondary buttons (black and white buttons) are located below the primary buttons instead of at the top of the controller.
The start/back buttons are located below the left thumbstick, this doesn't add much to playability but allows the controller to be a lot smaller.
The sticks are slightly redesigned with an increase in surface area allowing more thumb room while the D-pad has an a more traditional cross pattern.
To sum it up the controller S is far more comfortable for extended periods of gaming. Originally I only replaced my old style main controller when it broke but after playing with the new style controller I've replaced all my old style controllers and everyone who plays with them says they're a great improvement.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 27, 2011 7:16 PM BST