Profile for A. Guthrie > Reviews

Content by A. Guthrie

A. Guthrie "Gusssss" (London, UK)

Thick As a Brick [40th Anniversary Special Edition]
Thick As a Brick [40th Anniversary Special Edition]

4.0 out of 5 stars Geared toward the exceptional, 9 Nov 2012
There is nothing much to add to what has been said. This packaging is infinitely more robust than some recent Tull anniversary editions, although I wonder if I am the only one whose colour supplement section duplicates pages 1-4, then also 5-8? Should I hang on to it?

It could have been improved with some live footage on the dvd, even of the 2012 concerts, but this is superb.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 16, 2012 12:45 PM GMT

12V G4 10W Halogen bulb Clear Capsule
12V G4 10W Halogen bulb Clear Capsule
Offered by SoSupplies Ltd
Price: 0.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 15 Sep 2011
Wasn't completely sure these were the right type for my IKEA kitchen spots, and when I put them in there was a little bit of smoke coming off, but they have settled down nicely now, and I even have a spare.

Wahl 79233-017 100 Series Mains Hair Clipper Set
Wahl 79233-017 100 Series Mains Hair Clipper Set
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 15 Sep 2011
I have just had my first 'go' with these clippers and am completely satisfied with them, and have not had any of the problems mentioned in other reviews.

The only only slight criticism is a somewhat sketchy instruction leaflet, which doesn't really show you how things fit together, but once I'd got everything on show it wasn't at all difficult to figure out.

The noise is not bad, I could still clearly hear my radio while using them, which I can't with my electric razor. After 10-15 minutes use they had heated up somewhat, but not to a degree where I was starting to worry about it.

My main concern was ending up looking like a badly sheared sheep, but even on my first attempt I am absolutely delighted with the result. It looks very tidy, and apart from maybe a bit of minor trimming at the back won't have to worry about being seen in public!

Oddly, although I started in front of a mirror, I found that off-putting because everything is reversed, and it is a lot easier just doing it by feel alone. So long as I took long slow sweeps there was no pulling at all, and the blades cut very cleanly.

In short, I wish I'd got these years ago.

Jethro Tull - Live at the London Hippodrome (Region 2)
Jethro Tull - Live at the London Hippodrome (Region 2)
Offered by Redline Music Company
Price: 8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice dvd, 23 July 2011
While the quality of this dvd might not be quite up there with the official releases it is an excellent watch for Tull fans, and probably for curious others too!

The sound is very consistent throughout, vocals, flute and Martin's solos all clear as a bell, and the filming is very acceptable.

Apart from Skating Away and the obligatory chunk of Thick as a Brick, this is all from Aqualung and Songs From the Wood, so if you like those albums you will be very happy. I actually can't remember hearing a live version of Velvet Green before.

This was the year before Bursting Out was released, and I was slightly surprised that Ian's patter was still slightly diffident, some of the jokes you will recognise, but not quite yet delivered with the confidence or polish he later developed.

Also a chance to see John Glascock in the line up, who missed the 1978 Madison Square Garden concert dvd release due to illness of course.

Even the Japanese subtitles (?) don't really detract from this, nor the strangely curtailed ending - the Dambusters' disappears quite abruptly.

Anyway, I'm giving it 4 out of 5 stars, but am delighted to have purchased this, and can recommend it.

The Old Grey Whistle Test -- Two Disc Set [DVD] [1971]
The Old Grey Whistle Test -- Two Disc Set [DVD] [1971]
Dvd ~ Bob Harris
Offered by AGJ1965
Price: 34.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost 4 hours with only one complete dud..., 1 July 2011
... and that dud is the odious John Lydon and PIL. How anybody could actually like that monotonous, pretentious crap beats me. For Annie Nightingale to get so gushy about it she virtually prostrates herself before him is beyond belief.

However, that is the only track I actually have to skip, the rest is just gold, and I can't even access the interviews.

Sad to see so many of them dead before their time, Lowell George, Tim Buckley, Lee Brilleaux, half of Lynyrd, John Martyn, Rory, Bob Marley and Pete Tosh, and of course Lennon, the list goes on.

The intros are interesting too. We have the amazing husky performances by Annie - was she just hung over that morning, ill, or what? The unsettlingly creepy Andy Kershaw. Then the impossibly smooth, suave Richard Williams who seems to slag off Roxy when I have read elsewhere he apparently was a fan, accusing them of lacking musical integrity, honesty and musicianship for some reason (and the oboe was a sax by the way Richard, and is actually an acoustic instrument).

Then the Mark Ellen/David Hepworth duets, which have to be seen to be believed.

My highlights? Well, Talking Heads - Psycho Killer, SAHB - Give My Compliments to the Chef, Meatloaf - Paradise by the Dashboard Light, Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird, and Bill Withers must have the coolest, most relaxed band ever, especially the drummer!

But it's all great, except one.

Jethro Tull: Live In Bethlehem 2003 [DVD]
Jethro Tull: Live In Bethlehem 2003 [DVD]
Offered by MUSICMACHINE
Price: 7.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great Tull dvd, 29 Jun 2011
This has been criticised as merely a boot, so I held off buying it, but I don't regret eventually taking the plunge. Perhaps the quality isn't quite the same as an official release (but then Ian Anderson is notoriously perfectionist), and there are one or two glitches during the concert - not least the weather - but this is absolutely fine.

Live At AVO Session Basel (2008) [DVD] [2009]
Live At AVO Session Basel (2008) [DVD] [2009]
Price: 7.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice dvd, 16 Jun 2011
After the absolute dearth of decent video releases over the first 30 years of the band's existence this is the latest in a real deluge of Tull DVDs in the last 10 years or so. This was a great performance in front of a very genteel looking audience, really enjoyable, although I must admit I had been a bit concerned both about Ian's vocal abilities and the new look line-up, but they came up trumps yet again. I can commend it to old and new fans alike.

Total Football: Sunderland AFC 1935-37
Total Football: Sunderland AFC 1935-37
by Paul Days
Price: 9.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping stuff, 5 Feb 2010
For a lifelong Sunderland fan this book provided welcome respite from the tribulations of yet another season of disappointment. In fact it seems almost inconceivable that there was a time when we would go out and expect to win because we were simply better than all the rest. So having carefully rationed myself to a few matches at a time I just about managed to stretch the enjoyment of this book out over a couple of weeks, although the gripping nature of the 1937 cup run did speed things up a bit!

Relying heavily on contemporary match reports in the North Mail and N*wc*stl* Journal ("lightly edited for the modern reader") you get a good feel of attitudes of the time, and that not much has really changed. Oddly, even though SAFC were so dominant, the reports are often critical, never holding back when a player was not considered to be pulling his weight, and referees were not immune from that either.

The book is dedicated to Jimmy Thorpe, the goalkeeper who died 4 days after being hurt in a home match against Chelsea. Astonishingly the team was in action again just 3 days after his death, winning 3-0 away to Liverpool.

Apart from the reports there are short pen pictures of the Sunderland players, plenty of black and white photos and mentions of famous players in opposition such as Shankly or Matthews (although Bob Hesford of Huddersfield, father of the future Sunderland goalie Iain, didn't get a mention). There are also random comments on other contemporary events, from the first release of the board game Monopoly to the abdication of Edward VII, to provide a bit of perspective.

I would recommend this book, certainly to Sunderland supporters, but I feel there will be enough to interest football fans in general.

Jethro Tull - Jack In The Green: Live In Germany 1970-1993 [DVD] [2008]
Jethro Tull - Jack In The Green: Live In Germany 1970-1993 [DVD] [2008]
Offered by jim-exselecky
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 7 May 2008
Another great Tull DVD, keep them coming. You get 42 minutes of concert footage from 1982, coincidentally just over 2 weeks after I saw them live the first time at Wembley. Good to see the still shaggy haired Anderson and Martin Barre at an intermediate stage of his transformation, strutting their stuff. I needed to go to the reference books to work out exactly when and where these were filmed, info I would have liked to have seen in the notes. There is more live footage from 1986 and a tv set in 1993; some of my favourite tracks - Hunting Girl, Too Old to Rock and Roll, Too Young to Die, Black Sunday, before the Beat Club footage at the end including John Evan's superb Pathetique piano solo, and a strange, warts-and-all performance of Nothing Is Easy.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 9, 2008 10:35 AM BST