Profile for Fishbuff > Reviews

Content by Fishbuff

Fishbuff "badgerchops"

Buddhism: for Beginners: A Practical Guide to Mindfulness & Awakening for a Fulfilling Life

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay but ..., 26 Dec 2014
The basic content is okay, albeit widely availabe elsewhere. My problem with this book (kindle edition) is that there are typos all over the place and it just doesn't have a 'quality' feel about it. That said of courselves I did pay less than a quid for it!

Every Inch of the Way; My Bike Ride Around the World
Every Inch of the Way; My Bike Ride Around the World

5.0 out of 5 stars Just another "I cycled around the world" story ......., 6 Feb 2014
Well yes, I suppose. However, this is a lovely book. It's well written, in an easily digested way, and you don't have to rush off to the thesaurus to understand what he is trying to say. It is written with the author's sometimes wide-eyed innocence of the splendors of our planet, from vastness of natural beauty, like the Grand Canyon or the man made triumphs of human endeavors, like the Hoover Dam or the Great Wall of China, to the simple kindness of strangers who invite him into their humble homes and feed him and require nothing in return save knowing they've helped a stranger. The author is often insightful into the way we, as humans in the modern world, are missing out on so much because we hurtle headlong without a care for anything but our own immediate lives, which includes all the quick fixes we've become so dependent on.

It is good to read something that makes me stop and think. It is good to read something that makes me want to get on my bike and get out there and discover.

Highly recommended and a most enjoyable read

SCHWALBE CITY JET 26" x 1.50 Bike Tyre
SCHWALBE CITY JET 26" x 1.50 Bike Tyre
Offered by bikes4life limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Superfast city tyres, 19 April 2012
I bought these a couple of months ago having decided that I would use my mountain bike for my daily commute. I wasn't getting enough use out of my bike on the trails and did most of my miles on the road so it made sense to change the tyres rather than continue to struggle with slow rolling MTB tyres. The difference was immediate and dramatic. They are super-fast and pedaling up the local hills is just so much easier. Coming down them again is a blast too!
After a trip out a few days ago, I pulled a 1 inch length of wire out which had become embedded in the rubber. The anti-puncture enhancements of these tyres is really excellent. I'm sure I'd have had a flat on 'normal' tyres.
Word of caution though, they are genuinely useless off road as you might expect. Did a trip along a canal towpath last weekend and in a couple of muddy sections the bike was all over the place! But if you're going to be just on the roads, and you have 26" wheels, these little beauties will serve you well. I thoroughly recommend them.