Profile for Georgina Wade > Reviews

Content by Georgina Wade

Georgina Wade (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Soul of Discretion: Simon Serrailler Book 8 (Simon Serrailler series)
The Soul of Discretion: Simon Serrailler Book 8 (Simon Serrailler series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps the best so far!, 6 Oct. 2014
I absolutely loved this book. The last two in this series were a little disappointing but this one is bang on form. It was exciting and I couldn't put it down and can't wait for the next!

Indian Summer
Indian Summer

5.0 out of 5 stars Back on top form!, 6 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Indian Summer (Kindle Edition)
I always enjoy this author's books but the last two haven't really grabbed me, however, this one is the author back on form! A very enjoyable read, set in one of my favourite areas - the countryside around Totnes!

Harris Tweed Applique: For Beginners
Harris Tweed Applique: For Beginners
by Chris Hammacott
Edition: CD-ROM

5.0 out of 5 stars Something very different!, 6 Oct. 2014
It's rare to see a book on patchwork and appliqué that has a British cloth at it's heart. Of course to be specific it's Scottish and my thanks go to the author and publisher for bringing us something completely different.

I can't say I have every thought of using Harris Tweed, so this book was a real eye opener for me! and though it is aimed at the beginner in appliqué and as such leads one every step of the way with both videos and written instructions, it surely will inspire anyone with a love of fabric.

Harris Tweed is only made in the islands of the Outer Hebrides, where the author lives and through words and pictures it is obvious that she has embraced both the island way of life and its fabric and created some charming projects using its cloth. It catches the spirit of the place with pictures of it's rather wonderful bleakness. The cloth is certainly not bleak, it is colourful and hardwearing and anything made in it will be comfort personified. Each tempting project is explained in full with the author demonstrating her craft with videos, which will surely encourage any nervous machinist to have a go.

Sussex Trug No.6
Sussex Trug No.6
Offered by Trug Makers

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product., 11 Jun. 2014
Very pleased with this trug and the service was first class! Look forward to using it for a long time!

Toast & Marmalade: and Other Stories
Toast & Marmalade: and Other Stories
by Emma Bridgewater

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book!, 22 Mar. 2014
I must declare here that I am a tremendous fan of EB and collect her pottery and this book has been long awaited by all her fans. It was certainly not a disappointment. It was heartfelt and beautifully written, some of her phrases - oh I wish I could write like that! She wrote about her early life and influences and very movingly about her mother and the tragedy that befell the family.

Anyone who has been self employed will know how difficult it is to grow and sustain a business and Emma tells it like it was.

The photography is evocative, I would of course liked to have seen more pots, but that's a minor quibble, this book wasn't really about the pots, but the person who thought of a great idea and had the imagination and stamina to survive in an industry that has all but died here in the UK as well as having four children!

A wonderful book. I have it in both hardback and on my Kindle App.

Mario Buatta: Fifty Years of American Interior Decoration: Fifty Years of American Decoration
by Mario Buatta

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to handle!, 19 Feb. 2014
For many years Mario Buatta was one of my favourite designers so I bought this book to re-capture that era. I now regret it! Not because of the content, as it showcases the life's work of this wonderful designer with lots of interesting pictures, but because it is so heavy! It is definitely a coffee table book i.e. to be leafed through whilst being supported by a coffee table, because there is no way a normal person can read it comfortably sitting in a chair, in bed or indeed carry it around, as it weighs a ton! Why do published do this! Is there a market for very very heavy books?

Hard Going (Bill Slider Mysteries Book 16)
Hard Going (Bill Slider Mysteries Book 16)

5.0 out of 5 stars Up to standard., 19 Feb. 2014
I love all Bill Slider books and this one was most enjoyable. I have already forgotten the plot because it is the interaction of the characters and the continuing story of their relationships that I enjoy, but he the plots are usually interesting and twisty. I am already looking forward to the next book. I think this is a brilliant series, Bill Slider is without doubt my favourite fictional detective!

The Forgotten Seamstress
The Forgotten Seamstress

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather disappointing!, 14 Jan. 2014
I heard about this book through a quilting group and then was offered it as a special price on Amazon. I read the reviews, which all praised it highly and I must say the synopsis appealed to me. It seemed to have all the ingredients of a good story and a book with a patchwork quilt at it's centre is unusual and irresistible to a maker of quilts. However, I didn't enjoy it and though a great deal of research had been done into the mental health issues, which I am sure were correct, I didn't find the story at all believable. There was almost too much going on, as the author had thrown everything into the pot. As well as the main royal mystery, there was redundancy, pregnancy, lost quilt and a great deal of dementure about to cause extra confusion! I found the setting up of an interior design business particularly unbelievable and completely unnecessary to the plot. In general the characters didn't ring true and their portrayal didn't make me care about them.

The only character in the book that held my interest was the patchwork quilt, but then again it had to be lost and found, just to add a bit more confusion. It's description and the analyses of the fabrics were very authentically treated, though somewhat fanciful, but it was a story after all so we can forgive that.

I like the idea of a design based on the quilt and there was so much detail given about the patterns, fabrics etc., that I am sure one could reproduce it in some form if one wanted to? However, it wouldn't take nearly as long for a present day quilter to make. Even I, who make complicated quilts by hand, could have done it in months not years, yet this poor seamstress worked on for a lot longer and there was no talk of quilting it to add to her burden!

A lovely idea, but it just didn't work for me!

And None Shall Sleep
And None Shall Sleep

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing., 24 Jan. 2013
I always look out for books by this author and in the past have enjoyed them, especially this series. However this one was extremely disappointing. In fact I struggled to finish it, but having paid for it I did persevere until the end. The story is improbable and seemed to end suddenly and the ongoing sage of Joanna and her pathologist lover is becoming boring and I don't really care if they get together or not.

One of the strengths of setting the stories in Leek was the interesting descriptions of the area which I am sure has given many readers an appreciation of Staffordshire. This book seemed to have abandoned those and it could have been set anywhere.

Time to move on from these characters I think?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 5, 2013 1:44 PM BST

Quilts: Masterworks from the American Folk Art Museum
Quilts: Masterworks from the American Folk Art Museum
by Elizabeth V. Warren

1.0 out of 5 stars Not to be recommended, 1 Dec. 2010
I am a bit sceptical about books produced by famous American museums on their collections so I wasn't expecting too much, but I have little good to say about this book. It does contain pictures of lots of beautiful quilts, many of which quilters will be familiar from other publications. However, the pictures are not good and there is very little information about the quilts and for even the most meagre facts (like sizes)one has to turn to the end of the book where it is included with thumbnail pictures.

There is very little to read apart from a couple of pieces by Museum people and Martha Steward who all pat each other on the back and say how much they value and cherish the collection - but they don't seem to know much about it! At least they don't impart that knowledge in any way. Museums rarely know much about the quilts they own because they didn't used to be interested in provenance but surely they could have said something - perhaps asked a quilt expert (which some of them are supposed to be) to comment on each quilt?

The other great drawback is that it is so heavy. I am not a small person but I have difficulty handling this book. You couldn't use it as a working catalogue and the best way to read it comfortably would be to put it on a lectern and how many of us have one of those?

Page: 1 | 2