Profile for author B.L. > Reviews

author B.L.

Me. A gallop around my memoirs from M to E
Me. A gallop around my memoirs from M to E
by Betty Lane

4.0 out of 5 stars Must read this one. Get your pop-corn and chocs around you; once you start this little book you won't put it down., 12 Oct. 2014
Best written and best lived memoirs I can remember. It was a brisk run.

Scott's Last Expedition (Classics of World Literature)
Scott's Last Expedition (Classics of World Literature)

5.0 out of 5 stars His own words are moving and revealing, 19 Dec. 2013
I first read this book on a lonely holiday in Wales. It was a companion. As the details of the tragedy enfolded I could not put it down, and felt lucky to be alive, warm and not hungry. His diary is a hero's masterpiece of living your life as best you can, and of writing your experiences to communicate with the world. As it turned out, for the last time.

Ash on a Young Man's Sleeve
Ash on a Young Man's Sleeve
by Dannie Abse

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic., 19 Dec. 2013
Should not be out of print. A lovely evocational story of a young person's life in Cardiff just before the war. He went on to great things. Read, and give as a present with confidence.

Journey of Natty Gann [DVD] [1986] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Journey of Natty Gann [DVD] [1986] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

4.0 out of 5 stars great adventure and relationship story, 19 Dec. 2013
I liked the actors. The young one was not girlie - she did not dress up in pretty dresses or fitted jeans. The friend and the father were decent and believable. The story could have happened in those hard days of the depression. I did not give it to my six year old,much too advanced. I gave it to a thirteen year old. And I enjoyed it myself. Oh, and the wolf was a dear.

Six Feet Under: Complete HBO Season 5 [DVD] [2006]
Six Feet Under: Complete HBO Season 5 [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Richard Jenkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Six Feet Under, 24 July 2013
This series is about a family of mixed ages and personalities and their interactions while going about their work over the basement where they make their living as morticians. It is deeply considered, sophisticated and thought provoking. Of course it has a dark side, but so has life, and this story does not dodge difficult situations. It kept us up late for several enjoyable nights. Better than going to the theatre and cheaper. I wish the makers would hurry the next series.