Profile for IstanbulPricey > Reviews

Snatch - Two Disc Set [DVD] [2000]
Dvd ~ Jason Statham
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars I think this is such a great film. Yes, 21 May 2016
I think this is such a great film. Yes, it's much like "Lock, Stock...", but this is Guy Ritchie doing what he does best (all he does well, really) and it works for me. It's a bit cliche'ed at times and can be quite dark at stages, but it's great entertainment if you enjoy the genre.

HIGHLANDER SPORTSMAN WHISTLE LANYARD NECK CORD SURVIVAL
HIGHLANDER SPORTSMAN WHISTLE LANYARD NECK CORD SURVIVAL
Offered by Dorking Supplies

4.0 out of 5 stars Wrong Product Sent Initially, but Kestronics Happily Sent Replacement, 21 May 2016
It's not a cord.

The one supplied by Kestronics Ltd is not as it appears in the photograph. It is NOT a cord, but a thick (about 8mm wide), flat 'lace' (I don't know how else to describe it.) I specifically wanted a thin cord. It's a bit disappointing, really. I've contacted Kestronics.
(If you don't want what they show in the photo, it seems perfectly serviceable, mind you.)

***UPDATE***
I complained to Kestronics and they immediately sent a replacement, with no need to send the old one back, they told me. So, I've amended my original review from one star to four stars. The product itself is perfectly acceptable - especially for a quid fifty and some change (and with a free lanyard thrown in!) Four stars, because the right product first time would have made life easier for all of us!

100% Genuine Nokia DC 4 In Car Charger for E50, E51, E51, E61, E61i, E63, E65, E66, E71, E72, E75, E90, N70, N71, N72, N73, N76, N78, N79, N8, N80, N81, N82, N90, N91, N92, N93, N93i, N95, N95 8GB, N96, PT-6, X3
Offered by Data Enterprises

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly well, 4 Aug. 2015
Having read various reviews of such in car chargers, I was a little worried this just wouldn't work. However, I figured, for the cost, it was not a very expensive experiment, so I bought this from IUEG and kept my fingers crossed. In fact, I've now had this charger for two months and it has worked perfectly well. Both connectors fit into their respective ends (car and Nokia C2-01) just fine and the phone charges as required. What more would you want?

It's All About Treo: Life and War with the World's Bravest Dog
It's All About Treo: Life and War with the World's Bravest Dog
by Dave Heyhoe

3.0 out of 5 stars I find myself very torn, but I cannot describe this as a classic..., 4 Aug. 2015
I don't usually do this, but let me first set out my credentials. Though not a dog handler, I've served 32 years in the RAF, and although I have not experienced the true front line I have a rough idea of what goes on and I did do time in Afghanistan as well as other places. In addition, my current dog is a retired arms and explosives search dog. I was thus really interested to read this book, to try and understand more about my own dog's training and experience and - just maybe - better understand what makes him tick (apart from food, chasing tennis balls and paddling/swimming). Rehoming any dog is tricky and ex-military dogs seem to have their own 'issues'; my dog is great and one of the best 'things' in my life, but he definitely has his won personality and I've no doubt much of that goes back to his 6+ years in the army!
So, having read the book I find myself really torn. I have absolute respect for what Treo and, particularly his handler Dave, went through, and I really want to like this book. But, somehow, although it's interesting, I also found the book a little annoying. Mostly, it's the little snippets of 'doggy talk' (italicised 'comments' from Treo). I often think we don't give dogs enough credit and search dogs are supposed to be rather more intelligent than the rest; that's why they do what they do. I often think, as well, that we sometimes give them more credit that they are due! Either way, the "don't worry, Dad..." comments were just too trite. That's just one aspect. There were a few others I found difficult to accept (like 'talking through the operation' with Treo), but I appreciate that some of those probably only appear 'odd' to those who have served in the military.
I just felt that some of it was unnecessary and didn't really add to the story. Clearly, others disagree. And, like I say, I desperately wanted to really like this book, to have tears in my eyes when I read it. But, I didn't. Certainly there are sad parts, but it was rather too much of a boy's own adventure in areas, albeit interspersed with some very tragic elements.
My conclusion is that, I suspect, this is not half the book Dave Heyhoe would have written and that the 'other' writer has fluffed it all up a bit for a wider audience. I may be wrong; I'll never know - but it doesn't quite work for me.
In conclusion: should you read it? After the above, you might find it odd when I say, yes, I think so. It is interesting and it is an easy read. I did get a better idea of what dog used to do and it confirmed what I had suspected were the reasons for his tennis ball obsession. But be prepared to be slightly annoyed at times and to feel a little let down when you get to the end. I think it could have been so much more, but sadly, it's no classic.

Europe's Tragedy: A New History of the Thirty Years War
Europe's Tragedy: A New History of the Thirty Years War
by Peter H. Wilson

3.0 out of 5 stars Sadly, pretty impenetrable - for me at least, 10 May 2015
I wanted a book about the Thirty Years' War which explained the causes and the progress of the war. I knew it was an apocalyptic event in European history and I had read articles likening Europe's 17th century events to the current upheaval in the Middle East. I like that analogy - of religious conflict having major political impact. There are few books available on the Thirty Years' War, this being one of them (and it was available in my local library which helps!) so this is where I started.
I have recently completed a history degree with the Open University, gaining a First, so I'm not unused to reading 'tough' history texts, but I have to say, Peter Wilson has beaten me. I struggled through to page 236 of this tome, but I have finally admitted defeat. It's a very tough read, filled with minute detail on the protagonists and events, far beyond that which I wished to know. I can appreciate that the political and religious manoeuvring was complex, but I found this book to be terribly turgid and do not really feel any the wiser after over 200 painful pages. In the end, I've just given in and will return it to the library. I've ordered the Lancaster Pamphlets study to try and give me a general overview and I will then try another book - probably CV Wedgwood's effort. I may have been beaten by Wilson, but I've not completely given in on the Thirty Years' War!
I've given three stars which may seem generous given the above comments, but I can appreciate that, if you have the patience (and the ability to remember who is who), this might still work for you - good luck!

Operation Barbarossa: Hitler's Invasion Of Russia 1941
Operation Barbarossa: Hitler's Invasion Of Russia 1941
by David M Glantz

4.0 out of 5 stars Operation Barbarossa: Hitler's Invasion of Russia 1941 - Paperback version, 2 Aug. 2014
This was an interesting read, covering the initial phases of Operation Barbarossa, effectively until the end of the 1941 campaign season when the Wehrmacht's advance ground to a halt in the snows of the Russian winter. The book gives a useful overview of the campaign and sits very much at the operational/strategic level, with much detail of the ebb and flow of the respective forces at army, corps and divisional level. For me, here lies the book's greatest weakness as there is frequent reference to numbered formations (divisions, corps and armies) and their commanders and it is impossible to keep on top of who is doing what to whom. The maps, as with the Kindle version (I gather), are at the back of the book so one has to keep referring there to try and get a visual feel for what is going on. And the simple fact is that these are large scale maps showing the broad sweep of the invasion, so often the necessary detail is missing. Nonetheless, overall Glantz does a good job of depicting the general picture of the initial successes of the Wehrmacht and how it starts to slow down in the face of Russian geography, poor logistics support and the simple belligerence of the Russians in resisting the Nazi onslaught. The book also highlights the strengths and weaknesses of the opposing sides, through well-considered conclusions and summaries, and makes all too clear the Soviet stavka's constant (and unhelpful) interference and the continuous reorganisation of fronts,army groups and armies. In particular, the final conclusion provides a superb overview of 'why it went wrong' for the Germans who based their offensive and expectation of success on a doctrine (blitzkrieg) which, arguably, was never going to work on the vast areas of the western Soviet Union, and how they had become victims of their own mythologising of that doctrine.

Canon Original Ink Cartridges for Pixma MG5150 / MG5250 / MG5350 / MX715 / MX885 / MX895 / ip4850 / ip4950 / IX6550 Printers - Cyan/ Magenta/ Yellow/ Black/ Large Black (Pack of 5)

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of Inky2005 'Original' Cartridges, 8 Jun. 2014
I know I'll get slagged off by some for this review but it IS a product review for this product, but supplied by Inky2005. I bought these cartridges, described as "Original Canon Ink Cartridges", but for a remarkably good price. I was surprised and a little perturbed when they arrived to see that they were in non-standard packaging - in plastic bags (rather than blister-packed), with tape over the nozzles and 'odd' plastic bags. I contacted the supplier who just said that they are genuine, but they are flood-damaged stock (I have no idea how Cartridges sealed in blisters get flood-damaged!) I certainly did not see that in the description, which I have told the supplier. Sadly, they no longer seem to supply ink cartridges, so I cannot check what they said on the Amazon page. I really am not sure if I should risk using these cartridges. Buyer Beware and all that, but if you see Inky2005 cartridges, bear this in mind.
IF I use them and IF they turn out to be OK, I'll come back and amend this review, but in the meantime, you've been warned.

STOP PRESS

Well, I used the first one - the Cyan cartridge. I ran a check pattern first and it was very dodgy. I did a nozzle clean and ran another check - nothing from the Cyan cartridge, so I ran a deep clean of the nozzles. Again, nothing from the Cyan cartridge. I fell for it - these cartridges (based on my experience) from Inky2005 are no good. I smelt a rat when, after our original correspondence, the guy said, "I have had to make the product inactive on amazon due to demand...I cannot keep to delivery schedule".

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. If Inky2005 reappears and starts selling ink cartridges, avoid him/her like the plague!

FURTHER UPDATE

In fairness to the supplier, when I highlighted the problem, he offered to refund and, after I sent the cartridges back, has done so. And I have now bought genuine cartridges (at the genuine, eye-watering price) which work just fine! My story ends here! :-)

Am-Tech Emergency Blanket (2 Pieces)
Am-Tech Emergency Blanket (2 Pieces)

4.0 out of 5 stars You just never know, 28 April 2014
My wife and I are hikers. While we tend to be 'fair weather walkers' you never know what might happen up on the mountains so it struck me that having one of these each was probably sensible. While it can be fair weather at the start point, it can be very cold on the tops. All it takes is for someone to break an ankle or something and without any way of keeping warm it can all get a bit tense.

These seem fit for purpose. They are in individual sealable platic bags and are light, of course. Packed up they are about 11cms x 8cms x1cm thick. Unpacked they are 204cms x 140cms. They are made by a company called Blue Dot. They are, apparently, flammable, so not to be worn near open flames.

Bushnell Universal Binocular Adapter for Tripod
Bushnell Universal Binocular Adapter for Tripod

4.0 out of 5 stars Great concept - didn't work for Ostara Elinor 10x50 binoculars, 29 Mar. 2014
I bought one of these Bushnell Universal Binocular Adapters for a pair of Ostara Elinor 10x50 binoculars,to allow me to attach them to my tripod. The concept seems great, though not cheap, and the adapter seems well-built. It works, in that it provides a sturdy platform which you can attach to a tripod. Once attached, the whole thing seems solid enough. However, with my binoculars, if I wrapped the adapter around the main body, I could not focus the binoculars as the focus knob sits quite proud. If I pushed the adapter strap further forward around the barrels, it meant I could not adjust the interpupillary distance (ie, the distance between the eye pieces.)
So, regrettably, I'm returning them and will use a much simpler 'standard' tripod adapter.

Pegasus Bridge: D-day: The Daring British Airborne Raid
Pegasus Bridge: D-day: The Daring British Airborne Raid
by Stephen E. Ambrose

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read but not exceptional, 18 Sept. 2013
I had meant to read 'Pegasus Bridge' for some time and, having seen a copy in my local library, decided to do so. Ambrose presents an interesting description of the taking of the Bridge and, perhaps more importantly, the build up to the mission. In particular, John Howard's single-minded attention to the training of his troops is well described and his efforts, of course, reaped rewards when it came to the operation. Overall, the book is an interesting read and I would say it is certainly worth reading. It is easy-going and I completed it in just a couple of days. I'm just not sure that it is as outstanding as some reviewers would have it. It's good, but just not 'great'. I was also struck by some of the American idiosyncratic writing; for example, policemen (Howard was one who had been a policeman) are called 'cops' (not a term we tend to use in the UK), and Parr (one of the troops) is described as leading a rendition of "It's a Long, Long Way to Tipperary", whereas the song only has one 'Long'. Those points are picky, I fully accept, but they caught my attention and such idiosyncrasies detract from the overall quality of the book (for me at least).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4