Profile for rodgersviews > Reviews

Omkara [DVD]
Omkara [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ajay Devgan
Offered by Green DVD INC

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant adaptation of Othello for an Indian cultural background, 18 Jan 2012
This review is from: Omkara [DVD] (DVD)
Vishal Bhardwaj's Indian version of Othello, called Omkara, sets the classic Shakespearean plot in modern time India.

Instead of having a moor for Othello, Omkara is a half-caste, not considered worthy of marrying the well off Dolly (the equivalent for Desdemona).
This adaptation manages to magically keep the essence of Shakespeare's play without ignoring all the details that would make it Indian. The dancing and singing scenes are reminiscent of Bollywood movies, but the quality of the movie makes it a must for all publics, and the acting is beautiful. I particularly liked the role of Kesus (Casio) played by the handsome and passionate Vivek Oberoi.

It is the first movie by Bhardwaj that I see, and I really am interested to watch his rendition of Macbeth, named Maqbool.

Watch it, whether or not you like Indian movies or have a bit of prejudice against them. This one is a work of art!

Quest-ce que la philosophie? (Critique)
Quest-ce que la philosophie? (Critique)
by Gilles Deleuze

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenging our views of language and the world., 17 Jan 2012
I read this book by Gilles Deleuze several times because i had to write an essay for school about it. In the book critics and clinics Deleuze discusses the effort of invention by any writer and how this instrument of originality works. But Deleuze has no intention of being original nor does he seek new ways to obtain originality. Deleuze's battle is to find some ways to escape from the terror and reign of language, because his main idea is that language somehow pre-exists us and we just live in ready made words and ready made thoughts, which we can merely re-say and re-think. Deleuze thinks that this situation falsifies the world. In such a case literature is just repeating and recombining old things. What Deleuze thinks is that we can escape this danger of repetition by an increased conscience, which must gain some yardsticks. That is why we must try new unlikely pairings of words and constructions to escape the ready made ones, and to make something new and give a new meaning to this world.

Désert (Collection Folio)
Désert (Collection Folio)
by Le Clezio
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars A haunting read, 17 Jan 2012
I bought this book to develop my French vocabulary, but I was in for a bit of a personal surprise when I got into reading it and started living in the narrator's world. It had been recommended to me by a good friend who had read it in English.

Let me start by saying that this is the kind of book that follows you like a shadow for days after reading it, that causes you to change and think over and over again about the ideas found in it. It is one of those books that troubles you, resulting in a meaningful shift, it's contents filled with that which we don't expect. This kind of novels don't have a relaxing effect and if you start reading them with such an intention you become more troubled than you were before you sat down in your chair, relaxed and ready to read it.

It is a book that doesn't approve with the familiar lies we tell to ourselves, or the lies that go around in the world. The book also has great ambitions, the literary form tries to be as original as possible. The problems raised by the book are very critical and troubling and sometimes are suffocating and exaggerated, but I think this is part of the writer's intention.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5