Profile for Avery Greaves > Reviews

Content by Avery Greaves

Avery Greaves "Avery's Book Book" (Canada)

Twisted Perfection
Twisted Perfection

4.0 out of 5 stars Liked, But Not Loved, 22 April 2013
While in "Fallen Too Far" and "Never Too Far" I rooted for Rush and Blaire to be together, I couldn't help but harbour some feelings for Woods. Why? Because he was just so good. He went above and beyond to help those around him, no matter how much or how little he knew them, and, out of the boys in the series, he was, without a doubt, the most admirable. Therefore, as you can imagine, when I learned that he was getting his own book I was ecstatic. However, after having finished this book I must admit that my feelings towards him have changed...

As mentioned, I found Woods to be an extremely good character in the "Too Far" books and while he was in this book, it wasn't near as much as I had hoped he would be. As I read more and more, I found that Woods came across as more Rush-y than Woods-y. I feel like there was very little separation between their thoughts (if I didn't know that this book was told in Woods POV I would have assumed it was in Rush's)- very little crossed his mind aside from how good Della's butt looked, how much he wanted to jump her, and so forth. Furthermore, the storyline between Blaire and Della is near identical- both have extremely traumatic pasts stemming from their mothers, both have nowhere to go, both run back to their hometowns, into the arms of their best friends, when times get tough, neither boy's families approve of their girlfriends, both boys are uber rich and the girls... aren't, and so forth.

That being said, Abbi has an extremely addicting writing style- once I start her books I literally cannot put them down. They are the epitome of "one sitting reading". Furthermore, after reading them all I want to do is read more of them or similar books (which results in me being stuck in a continuous loop of contemporary or NA).

All in all, while this wasn't the most unique NA book that I have read to date (especially when compared to the original series that it stems from) I still really loved the couple hours of escapism that it offered me. Furthermore, HOLY MOTHER OF CLIFFHANGERS. This book has one of the craziest cliffhangers I have ever experienced before and I NEED the next book in this series to find out how this revelation affects Woods and Della (which I found surprising as I had assumed this to be a standalone). I have no doubt that this book will hit the various bestseller lists within days of its release.

Hunted: Chosen #2 (The Chosen)
Hunted: Chosen #2 (The Chosen)
Price: 2.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Hunted, 16 Dec 2011
As becomes evident after reading my review of "Chosen" by Denise Grover Swank I LOVED the book (basically everything about it was top-notch in my opinion, from the character development, to the fast paced and unique plot). While I did enjoy this book, I must admit that overall I on the fence about how I feel about it.

On the one hand, I applaud Denise for writing a paranormal plot that is wholly unique, but on the other hand, I felt that at times (the ending especially) was too "out there" and rushed (basically the entire paranormal element, what you have been waiting for two books to be revealed, is revealed within the last chapter or so of this book). Also, for much of the book I was irritated by Emma (when in the past book I had found her to be such a relateable character)- I felt that she was not only did she take advantage of Will in much of the book, but she also took him for granted. However, Will's was even more so swoon-worthy in this book, distracting me every now and again from Emma's boogerish behaviour.

Despite my criticisms, this book was just as fast paced and unputdownable as the previous book- you better plan accordingly because once you start reading it you won't be able to stop. I am very curious to see where Denise will take the paranormal element in the next book in this series.

Chosen: Chosen #1 (The Chosen)
Chosen: Chosen #1 (The Chosen)
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Chosen, 16 Dec 2011
Do you remember that movie "Legion" that came out in 2009? The one with the storyline where a young pregnant woman, Charlie, finds out that her unborn child is the key to humanity's survival? This book has the same sort of storyline (just exchange "Legion's" angels for members of a secret society and throw in a little bit of the TV show "Supernatural", with the characters constantly being on the run and frequenting sketchy motels), with the main character, Emma, finding out that there is more than meets the eye when it comes to her son (and that he is caught in the middle of a battle between good and evil), but unlike the movie, this book is extremely well done and entertaining ("Legion" did not live up to my expectations whatsoever, but this book completely exceeded them).

While there were numerous reasons why this book was so successful, Denise's writing style, the original storyline, and the likes of, I think that this book was most successful because of how fast paced and engaging it was. Because Will, Emma, and Jake were constantly on the move, fighting for their lives, etc., you could never find yourself bored with the storyline- you were seriously on the edge of your seat the entire time (and trying to guesstimate what Denise was going to throw at you next- an exploding truck? Another gun fight? A near drowning?).

Furthermore, the large majority of her characters were so well-developed, complex, but, most of all, real. Despite all of the hardships that Will and Emma had endured in their lives, they remained strong, resilient, and grounded (while a lesser character would have curled up in a ball and cried). Though I must admit, that I did have a bit of trouble connecting to Emma's son, Jake (especially when he was behaving as if he was possessed- talking more eloquently and grown-up than any 5 year old I have ever seen before)- I did prefer the story more when he was not as involved in it.

All in all, after reading this book it becomes evident that Denise is an author to keep your eye on. I cannot wait to see what she has in store for us in the next book in this series, "Hunted"!

Here (On the Otherside Book 1)
Here (On the Otherside Book 1)
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Entirely Satisfying, 4 Dec 2011
While I was a bit disappointed with the change of pace in Denise's "Twenty-Eight and a Half Wishes" (I felt that the novel was going in one direction and during the last bit I felt that it went in an entirely different direction,) I LOVED that that happened in this book. Don't get me wrong, the first half of the book was great, really sweet and cute, but the second half of the book was so engaging, fast-paced and unique (it literally kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time I was reading it). Now this might sound a bit strange because these books have little in common, but I think that if "Spellbound" by Cara Lynn Shultz, "Across the Universe" by Beth Revis, Imogen Rose's "Portal" series, and "Delirium" by Lauren Oliver were to have a baby- this book would be the end result.

Why this book is so successful is because of the characters- each and every one of them is so well-developed, complex, and frankly likeable. From Julia, a girl who is able to pull herself out of the darkness surrounding her, becoming stronger and stronger with each passing day, to Evan, the boy not afraid to show his emotions and perhaps one of the most hopeless romantics I have ever had the pleasure of reading about before, to Reece, the "bad-boy" of the two, who we cannot help but be drawn to despite the fact that he throws off "playerish" vibes and despite the fact that we know that he is very capable of being breaking our hearts.

Another reason why this book is successful us because it (dare I say it?) has a successful love triangle (which I can assure you is NOT an oxymoron). In my opinion a successful love triangle is one in which the reader cannot choose which character they would like the main character to end up with (as opposed from an unsuccessful love triangle where there isn't any real competition- it is obvious from the get-go who the lead will choose, ie. Clary choosing Jace over Simon) . Both Evan and Reese have such amazing qualities to them and both make Julia a stronger person in their own way that I literally cannot choose between the two of them.

All in all, I have no complaints about this book. Whatsoever. It completely blew away any expectations that I had by tenfold. Therefore I obviously highly recommend it. In my opinion the traditionally published books I mentioned earlier (ie. "Delirium", "Across the Universe", and "Spellbound") have nothing on this book! In fact, I think that I like it just as much, if not more, than the three of them. Combined.

Twenty-Eight and a Half Wishes (Rose Gardner Mystery Book 1)
Twenty-Eight and a Half Wishes (Rose Gardner Mystery Book 1)
Price: 0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Twenty-Eight and a Half Wishes, 3 Dec 2011
Rose is by far one of the most interesting characters I have read of in quite some time. I love that she didn't let herself be dragged down by her history, as many characters would had they been in her position, she always had such a positive outlook on life. Also, she is the sort of character you cannot help but root for and want to befriend in the hopes that some of her positivity will rub off on you. Furthermore, I very much appreciated that Denise was able to give us Rose's history in little bit and pieces (from all sorts of characters, like her sister, aunt, etc.) as opposed to more large information dump- it just made the book flow so much more naturally and made everything seem so much more real.

It becomes evident as you read the book that Denise doesn't dilly-dally in her writing, that she writes everything with a purpose, which, too, makes the book flow all the more naturally and makes it a literal page-turner- keeping you engaged (and on the edge of your seat) the entire time while reading it.

However, I must admit that the ending did throw me off a bit. I just felt that so much happened in the last bit of the book that I had a hard time keeping track of everything. When I thought the storyline was going in one direction it would go in the complete opposite therefore resulting in me having to reread a bit of the end (but this could have totally been my fault since I literally read this book in one sitting and therefore was most likely tired/ past the point of comprehension by the time I came to the end).

All in all, I highly recommend this book to those looking for a funnier read, albeit a funnier read with quite a bit of action. I cannot tell you how many times I burst out in laughter while reading this book. Also, I challenge you to not start talking in a Southern accent after finishing this book, with all of the characters constantly dropping their "g's" and saying things like "crappy doodles".