Profile for J. Mackenzie > Reviews

Content by J. Mackenzie

J. Mackenzie ""Snap snap, puppy"" (England)

Inkheart [DVD]
Inkheart [DVD]
Dvd ~ Brendan Fraser

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic addition to the fantasy genre!, 6 Feb 2009
This review is from: Inkheart [DVD] (DVD)
I saw this at the cinema, and I couldn't take my eyes off the screen during the whole feature.

Of course it not EXACTLY like the book. It has taken parts out, switched things around, but all book-to-movie adaptations do that.

It is purely incredible to watch, the characters are perfect, and the special effects are brilliant.

As a huge fan of the Inkworld trilogy, I am definately NOT dissapointed with this film. And am now waiting impatiently for the DVD.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 10, 2011 5:45 PM BST

The First Snow Of Winter [DVD]
The First Snow Of Winter [DVD]
Dvd ~ Graham Ralph

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Film, 12 Dec 2008
I got this for my little sister who is 10, and she absolutely loves it.

The film is about a duckling called Sean, who falls out the sky after being spooked by an aeroplane. Then, with a broken wing cannot join the other maigratory birds as they fly on southwards.

Sean meets a helpful Vole who mends his wing, gives him food, and later on, saves his life.
During the winter, Sean finds his best friend Puffy, who had also fallen out of the sky, and takes her to the safety of his Boot shelter.

This film is beautifully animated, with lovely country scenery and irish music.
The irish voice acting is well done also.

And, being under 30 minutes long, children don't get restless, as they normally do whilst watching a feature-length movie.
So it's SHORT and SWEET.

One of my sisters favourites now, and I highly recommend it to any child between the ages 4 and 12.

The Golden Compass [DVD] [2007]
The Golden Compass [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Nicole Kidman
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars A great addition to the Fantasy genre., 9 Dec 2008
I thought this movie was great.

It was constantly engaging, okay nothing like the book, but so what...

The special effects are amazing, the battles scenes are awesome, and the cast is perfect.

A great addition to the modern fantasy film genre.

The Lost Boys [DVD] [1987]
The Lost Boys [DVD] [1987]
Dvd ~ Jason Patric

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lost Boys = <3, 9 Dec 2008
This review is from: The Lost Boys [DVD] [1987] (DVD)
I can watch this again and again.

The Lost Boys is a great 80's movie, which has aged very well, and has become a classic.

Vampires, horror, humor, romance and fun. My favourite movie of all time.

Neverwinter Nights
Neverwinter Nights

5.0 out of 5 stars Neverwinter Nights. Love it!, 20 Nov 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Neverwinter Nights (Video Game)
I love this game, it kept me going for hours on end.

The graphics and music put together an excellent atmosphere, especially in the spooky areas, such as the zombie-filled Beggars Nest, the haunted Charwood area, and the many caves and catacombs you enter.

You can choose your own character (gender, race, class ect...)
The Druid class is favourite, as you can summon your own animal to accompany you and fight in battles.

Great graphics, great quests and story. Amazing.

Oath Breaker: Chronicles of Ancient Darkness book 5
Oath Breaker: Chronicles of Ancient Darkness book 5
by Michelle Paver

5.0 out of 5 stars Waited a year for Oath Breaker. Now another for Ghost Hunter., 8 Oct 2008
I waited a year for this book, but it was definatley worth the wait. So much happens in this one, and a few things are answered.
An excellent fifth installment to the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness. In my opinion, the best of the series so far.
I will probably re-read this and the previous four I own repeatedly, until next September, when the final book comes out.

The Dorset Squirrels (The Silver Tide & The Second Wave & The Golden Flight)
The Dorset Squirrels (The Silver Tide & The Second Wave & The Golden Flight)
by Michael Tod

5.0 out of 5 stars It's up there with Tarka and Watership, 8 Oct 2008
I was given this by my gran when I was 7, and have only gotten round to reading it now, at 16. And I'm now ashamed for leaving it so long.
An interesting story, left unread for almost a decade.
All three books are about the Grey squirell invasion of Dorset, and how Englands native Reds cope. Or suffer.

For Watership Down/Tarka the Otter/Redwall lovers, read this.