Profile for spoonofmilk > Reviews

Content by spoonofmilk

spoonofmilk (Exeter, Devon)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
MiniSun Branded 5W High Power GU10 Frosted Lens Bulb with 6 x 3030 SMD LEDs - 520 Lumens - Daylight/Cool White
Offered by The Light Factory

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing light, 8 Jan. 2015
Awesome lights, I bought a set of four to replace some older 1.6w versions in our kitchen light fitting. We've put up with those for a while, but they were rather dim, hence the desire for replacements. After reading the reviews of these bulbs I was sold, though a bit worried about the potential 'coldness' of the light they generate.

I needn't have been concerned though... the light from these bulbs is exceptional, daylight means just that... super bright, but not cold at all. They make the warmer bulbs around the rest of the house look positively inferior, so I'll be sourcing some daylight LED versions for the other fittings now too... even better if I can find Minisun versions!

The Shadow Of What Was Lost (The Licanius Trilogy Book 1)
The Shadow Of What Was Lost (The Licanius Trilogy Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding debut, 31 Dec. 2014
Outstanding debut, a genuine page turner. I was regularly up til the early hours of the morning reading 'just one more chapter', which is always the sign of a great book. I cannot wait for the sequel to see what becomes of the characters!

Sennheiser PC 3 CHAT Lightweight Telephony On-Ear Headset
Sennheiser PC 3 CHAT Lightweight Telephony On-Ear Headset

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice headset - warning for iMac and some laptop users, 6 Nov. 2014
Nice headset, comfortable to wear and the sound quality through the speakers is good.

Careful when buying this for use with the microphone though. If your laptop, computer or other device has microphone in socket then you're fine, but if (like me) you intended to use this for Skype calls on an iMac be careful... it will NOT work. The iMac (and other computers/laptops) have line-in sockets, not mic-in and the microphone will need adapting to work. The adaptor required costs more than the headset, so we'll have to buy a new one!

The Ace of Skulls (The Ketty Jay Book 4)
The Ace of Skulls (The Ketty Jay Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars epic series, 30 Jan. 2014
Loved every single one of the Ketty Jay books and this one wraps the whole tale up with a fancy bow!

Particle Horizon
Particle Horizon

4.0 out of 5 stars A great debut, 26 April 2013
This review is from: Particle Horizon (Kindle Edition)
I'm always a bit dubious about buying self published ebooks and I know I certainly shouldn't be literally judging books by their covers, but in this instance I did. The book cover looks very well designed and I was surprised to find this was just an ebook and not a fully published novel that I could find in Waterstones!

The price of self-published novels is always attractive though and certainly helps break down the mental barrier... so I bought it. I read it. I found it was good. More than good. I wouldn't go as far as some to say it's great, but it is very good. The universe Xisto has created is believable (in sci-fi terms at least), the characters are engaging and flawed in their own ways, the dialogue between them is well written (a common flaw in most self-published works, if not in a lot of mainstream sci-fi as well - looking at you David Weber!) and the story is well thought out and rounded.

As another reviewer says, it reminds you a bit of the premise of Peter F Hamilton's Reality Dysfunction... it certainly shares elements of that... or a bit like Fifth Element, with a higher power manipulating lesser mortals to achieve their goals. So the story isn't massively original, but it certainly keeps you interested in seeing where it's all going.

I'm not sure enough of the world was fleshed out for any follow-ups, but I certainly wouldn't mind reading some more of Xisto's work based on this debut... and if it's based in the Angelhaven world, all the better.

Carcassonne Expansion 1: Inns & Cathedrals
Carcassonne Expansion 1: Inns & Cathedrals
Offered by Funagain Games USA

4.0 out of 5 stars Must have expansion for Carcassonne, 5 Mar. 2012
I love Carcassonne. I have the board game, the iPhone app and the Xbox versions of the game. I regularly play all three versions (Xbox less so now we have it on the iPhone/iPad too).

The expansions to Carcassonne are generally a mixture of good ones, not so good ones and plain stupid ones. This one, being one of the first, is a very good one. You get a bunch of new tiles, a set of new meeple and big followers for different rules.

Apart from a mix of different standard tiles you have two cathedral tiles and a number of inn tiles. Both double their respective item points when completed. Completed cities with a cathedral tile and roads completed at both ends.

The double follower is worth two followers when you are looking to dominate a feature on the board, so it helps to prevent someone stealing your city, farm or road points. It's pointless putting him on a cloister, like one of my mates did when we first got it!

The slight change in scoring and rules helps to add another layer of tactics to the game, but without fundamentally changing the way you play it, as other expansions do. There are enough additional pieces to make a difference and an additional set of meeple is good for playing bigger games (though it tends to get messy with any more than four).

If you have the Carcassonne boardgame (or the iPhone game, as there is an expansion for that too) this is a must buy.

Mass Effect: Deception
Mass Effect: Deception
by William C. Dietz

2.0 out of 5 stars Mass-ively disappointing, 5 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Mass Effect: Deception (Paperback)
I am an addict for the Mass Effect universe. I am playing through the first game again right now and I've taken a week's holiday just so I can play through the third game in its entirety when my pre-order arrives. I've bought all the books and the comics to date. I'm hungry for more.

I was excited to see another novel was on its way last year and I wasn't overly concerned that the author had changed. Drew Karpyshyn's efforts were fine, but a bit average for me. So a change may well be a good thing, I was thinking.

Sadly, that really was not the case. The story itself was a bit flabby. The characters that Karpyshyn had created in the previous novels were altered for the worst and overall I felt the novel didn't really do anything to impress.

The main jist is that Gillian Grayson, adopted daughter of Paul Grayson, discovers the true fate of her father, leaves the Migrant Fleet in order to pursue a revenge arc and everything that subsequently befalls her and her friends. We see reappearances from Admiral Anderson and Kahlee Sanders, Aria T'Loak on Omega and Kai Leng, the Illusive Man's main hitman.

Anderson and Sanders in particular suffer a lot in this book. Anderson, as we found in the first game and in novels before now, was a former Spectre in waiting. Therefore not an idiot and he knows his way around a weapons locker. Instead, we're treated to a flabby fool stumbling around getting in the way of everyone else. Sanders is a former soldier and scientist and yet she also appears a bit dense and soft. By no means are these two the only ones who suffer the same fate.

There are also a huge number of errors in the novel that are very obvious to anyone with a good knowledge of Mass Effect to date... some so big they just can't be ignored.

Overall, the story had promise, but I would rather have seen it be an extra plotline in a bigger tale. This felt a lot like a side mission rather than a proper plotline that advanced the overall detail in the universe.

I am still an addict and it hasn't lessened my love of the universe in any way... I will still get the next novel, comic or game. However, rarely do I read a book that makes me think I could have done a better job!

Ghostbusters [Blu-ray] [2009] [Region Free]
Ghostbusters [Blu-ray] [2009] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Harold Ramis
Offered by skyvo-direct

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, 1 July 2011
Please note that this is a review of the disc, not of the movie (which I love). Movie alone is five out of five.

The first thing you will notice is that the transfer of this film is very high in the grain factor. Some seem to like that, but I don't want that in a blu-ray transfer. Sony have clearly just bunged a copy of the film on blu-ray with no attempt at improving the picture quality for the media it is printed on. That alone is enough to mark it down for me.

Due to the high level of grain visible throughout the movie you don't get a feel that any of it is particularly high-def. I know the film is 25+ years old and this isn't a problem with the effects... but blu-ray is about high definition and the grain steals that definition from the film.

I would honestly say you're better off with a standard DVD of the movie and let your player up-scale it. I am so disappointed in this blu-ray it's just not funny.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 15, 2011 11:36 AM GMT

Ergonomic Wrist Rest for Mouse & Keyboard-Black-MEDIUM - To fit wrist 15cm to 18cm (approx. 6 inch to 7 inch)
Offered by wrist donut

5.0 out of 5 stars Cures the pain, if not the condition, 26 Jan. 2011
For the past six months or so I have had an increasing amount of pain in my right wrist. I'm a web designer, so my right hand is in constant use with both the mouse and the keyboard.

Before I bought the wrist donut, I went to all the normal outlets (PC World etc) but nowhere had a normal wrist rest. Blow it, thought I, I shall look on Amazon... where I found Wrist Donut. At first I thought it looked a bit silly, a Dragon's Den-esque throw-away product. Then I read the reviews and thought... you know what? It makes sense...

So I bought one (off their website direct, so I could be geeky and get it personalised!) and I am very glad I did. After two weeks of use I no longer feel any of the pain or discomfort in my wrist, at least not when I am using the computer. And I have noticed a distinct lack of discomfort in non-computer related use too... something that was beginning to be very annoying.

I am so glad I bought one that I am now thinking of getting another for my left wrist, purely to pre-empt the eventual pain I am bound to get in that wrist too before long!

Believe me, it doesn't look silly when it is on your wrist, it's actually very comfortable and I notice it more when I don't have it on than when I do!

Strand Clearview 3 - 600 Glass TV Stand with Cable Management for LCD TVs of up to 32" with 3 toughened glass shelves

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb unit, 30 Nov. 2010
We had a very limited space in our newly plastered fireplace... exactly 65cm width... and this is the tidiest and most affordable stacking unit I could find anywhere on the web. It arrived super-fast and was very simple to put together. The cable holes at the back are very good sizes, the toughened glass is reassuringly sturdy and overall it's a superb piece of kit for the price.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3