Profile for Sometimes Things Get Whatever > Reviews

Content by Sometimes Thin...

Sometimes Things Get Whatever (England)

Page: 1 | 2
AA AA9VDCPESAX5 9V Photoelectric Smoke Alarm
AA AA9VDCPESAX5 9V Photoelectric Smoke Alarm

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy these smoke alarms!, 17 Dec. 2015
I bought four of these alarms over several months in 2015. Every single one went off randomly within weeks of installing them on ceilings in bedrooms and hallways, at all hours of the day and night. Thinking it was the cheap supplied batteries that simply needed replacing - which is annoying enough when you have had them less than three months - I bought new Duracell 9v batteries to put in them. Sadly the same problem has occurred and I was awoken at 3am recently by yet another false alarm, and another went off during the day. Other recent reviewers appear to have had the same problem with them as me, and Amazon have now refunded me for all four as they are quite clearly not fit for purpose.

Cure Your Emetophobia & Thrive: The Research-backed Self-help Programme to Overcome Your Fear of Being Sick
by Rob Kelly
Edition: Spiral-bound

1.0 out of 5 stars So many good reviews?, 26 Dec. 2013
I would love to purchase this book to help me overcome my phobia, but I am a little suspicious of all the amazing reviews here. They are all very eloquently written, all praising the book very highly indeed (except one). All have appeared regularly at a rate of between one to three every single month during 2013 - except for April and May where two/four A DAY seem to have been submitted between 26th-29th April. Seriously, can you see four different people all deciding to write a review of the same book on four consecutive days?

Besides these amazing coincidences, most of the reviewers have only reviewed this book alone, or another Thrive book written by the same author, or at the most two other items from Amazon.

Please Amazon, double check the validity of these customer reviews before posting them. I'm afraid they don't look very genuine to me at all. Anyone attempting to cash in on the life-destroying phobias of others by giving them false hope should be truly ashamed of themselves.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 17, 2015 1:09 AM BST

Blowfish Malibu Women's Kenessa/Shr Black Austin Fur Trimmed Boots BF2344SH 6 UK
Offered by Rubbersole

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality boots, 5 April 2013
Bought these boots from a shoe shop (£75), tried them on in the shop and they were really comfy. You can fold the top down to show the faux fur lining or fold it up to just show the brown boot, and they look great with skinny jeans. However, the sole is quite thin and hard, so I put some gel insoles in. Also they're made of PU material rather than leather, meaning they're not breathable (although if you're veggie this might be a plus).

I was really happy with the look and feel of these boots. They're comfy to walk in, and quite warm. But...I then wore them over three days on a long weekend away. By the time I got home, the fake sheepskin lining had completely worn away around the entire heel area; and on the outside where the buckle is and where the boot was flexing as I walked, the exterior suede-look PU material was wearing away to a shiny finish! If I'd been wearing them for at least a year or two, I might have expected to see damage like that - but I'd only worn them for three days!

Needless to say I returned them for a refund. The shop assistant said the exterior wear was part of the "vintage" look, but actually it just looked like a cheap material was wearing badly. I don't recommend these boots whatever price they are. They're obviously not well made or designed to last 5 minutes.

In Between Dreams
In Between Dreams
Offered by Media Vortex

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet summer songs, 13 July 2005
This review is from: In Between Dreams (Audio CD)
Jack Johnson is my favourite discovery of the summer. All his songs are based around an infectious guitar rhythm and melody, of the kind that sticks in your head forever! They're upbeat, mellow, thoughtful and radio-friendly, so you'll no doubt hear his singles being played more and more. His lyrics are great, meaningful but very sing-along too. I only had to hear 'Good People' on the radio before I knew that I liked Jack, and that song is a good guide to what you'll find on this album. There are no duff tracks on it, and I never find myself skipping any of them; the album-only songs are just as good as the singles. 'Staple It Together' is funky, nod-your-head music, whereas 'Better Together' is a nice gentle intro that strolls along at an easy pace. The live version of 'Mudfootball' (featuring G. Love and Donavon Frankenreiter) is a great ending to a great album.
It's just perfect for playing on hot summer days, and no doubt for reminding you through the winter that there are warmer days to come! If you need a lift, I suggest you listen to Jack Johnson. You won't be disappointed. Good packaging and sleeve booklet too, including all the lyrics. Definitely worth every penny, and 5 stars too.

Live A l'Olympia
Live A l'Olympia
Offered by stevecaptainkirk

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Jeff, 13 July 2005
This review is from: Live A l'Olympia (Audio CD)
For any Jeff Buckley fan, whether they were lucky enough to see him live or not, this album is essential. Once you have Grace, and Sketches, you can then start exploring his live recordings, which is pretty much like discovering a goldmine. Live a L'olympia is one of the nuggets you have to look forward to.
The fact that it is one entire show and not a selection of performances from different shows is great; you can really get a feel for what it was like to be there. There is no comparison to hearing Jeff at his most raw, and nothing can really describe it until you hear him. This is a good first live album for anyone quite new to Jeff, as he doesn't stray too much from the regular versions of each song (very different to Mystery White Boy, for example). I found that his live improvisation took a couple of listens before I got used to it, but this is a perfect introduction. The addition of 'What Will You Say,' featuring Alim Qasimov, as the final track is credit to how versatile Jeff was.
Considering the CD was mastered from cassette the sound quality is amazing - I had no idea until I read the sleeve notes. It sounds near enough to a digital recording.
The packaging also deserves a special mention. The case is gatefold, which opens out with a pocket for the sleeve booklet. The booklet itself includes an excellent short biography, lyrics (some handwritten by Jeff), and many photos of Jeff too. This makes it into a beautiful package and a worthy tribute to this sadly missed musician. I couldn't get by without this CD in my collection. 5 stars and fully deserved too - excellent.

Back to Bedlam
Back to Bedlam
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album I've ever bought?, 4 Mar. 2005
This review is from: Back to Bedlam (Audio CD)
Music is my life, but I've never been quite so excited about an album - this CD is unashamedly great. I saw the video for Wisemen on TV and heard the song on the radio a few times, which encouraged me to buy it. When I got hold of it, I didn't want to stop playing it.
This has been said before, but there are definitely no filler tracks on here. Every one has the potential to be released as a single. James combines soaring vocals with memorable lyrics and beautiful melodies, quite unlike any other artist. Not only do the songs touch your heart, they also make you want to sing out loud. Personally my favourite tracks are 'Wisemen', 'Billy' and 'Tears and Rain', but not because they're better musically; I just feel them more.
If you've never heard of James Blunt before the closest comparison I can draw is probably Ed Harcourt or Tom Baxter. That should give you an idea of what he's about, although he's still different somehow to anyone else I've heard. If you've heard any of James's singles and liked them you will love his album.

Feather & Stone
Feather & Stone

4.0 out of 5 stars Honestly excellent, 4 Mar. 2005
This review is from: Feather & Stone (Audio CD)
I heard 'This Boy' and 'My Declaration' on the radio, so decided to buy Tom Baxter's album. If you've done the same but are unsure about buying the CD, don't be. Those two tracks are a good indicator of what it's like.
Tom's edgy vocal style fits well over his guitar playing - 'A Day in Verona' and 'Don't let go' are the best examples of this. The songs are laced with passion and an undefinable element that makes them great. The guitar and piano melodies are the underlying vehicle for Tom's voice, and they really stand out well. All the threads on each song flow together flawlessly to create a perfect sound. There are no weak tracks, only ones that stand up more.
Overall it's a very uplifting CD. There are positive lyrics and happy tunes, but also the right balance of introspection too. You can hear flavours of Jeff Buckley and Ed Harcourt occasionally, but that's all - Tom's made his own sound here. If you want something that's easy to listen to but is still in touch with its emotions, I recommend you buy this album.

Magpie
Magpie
Offered by Global_Deals

5.0 out of 5 stars Deserving of worldwide recognition!, 4 Mar. 2005
This review is from: Magpie (Audio CD)
The first thing I noticed when I listened to this CD was the outstanding guitar-picked melodies. They lend an almost elegant beauty to the album in stark contrast to Stephen's edgy voice. The second thing I noticed was the beautiful lyrics and the way he will repeat one line to assert its meaning within the song.
This is an entirely acoustic-based album, with enough pure acoustic moments to make it different. It makes a nice change, as the songs are simpler and uncomplicated. In fact, how Stephen manages to put so much into each song with seemingly so little is amazing. You can hear every instrument clearly in its own right, and all together as a whole the sound is truly great.
This CD was recommended to me by Amazon, and I decided to buy it after reading the reviews here. If it's been recommended to you too, I expect you'll love it. I'm not sure if I can compare Stephen Fretwell to any other artist, although now and again I think "that sounded a bit like Ed Harcourt/Tom Baxter/etc." and even Don McLean at one point.. He doesn't make music that sounds like anyone else, but he's along the same guitar/piano-based lines.
After only a few listens this album is one of my favourites, and I expect it will be for a long time to come. Excellent.

History Play: The Lives and After-life of Christopher Marlowe
History Play: The Lives and After-life of Christopher Marlowe
by Rodney Bolt

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing intrigue, 16 Feb. 2005
Being an ardent Stratfordian but also fascinated with the legend that has built up around Marlowe, History Play seemed like a good read. It is a very good book, looking at things from a different angle, but it should be borne in mind that Rodney Bolt hasn't created a new case for the anti-Strats; he's written a novel with some historical facts thrown in (as he clearly states himself in the afterword). This is not a criticism - quite the opposite, since it does make you challenge what you think you know about the authorship debate. Even I started to doubt some of my beliefs.
It's clear that Bolt is biased, which obviously colours the book somewhat, but then Shakespeare biographies are often likewise on a slight bias, so I'm not judging this. I sometimes found it hard to stomach the harsh criticism levelled at Shakespeare, but it is after all mostly a work of conjecture so I managed to keep my cool! The book is a great read; more so because you don't know where it will turn next. There are many facts you will no doubt recognise and which add to the authentic feel you get while reading it (it doesn't always feel like you're reading fiction. You may have to keep reminding yourself!). Bolt's notes at the back go through the book chapter by chapter stating clearly what is fact (and if so where it comes from) and what he has invented.
On whichever side of the authorship debate you stand, I'm sure you will enjoy reading History Play. It's an admirable piece of work. And as T. S. Eliot said, "About anyone so great as Shakespeare it is probable that we can never be right; and if we can never be right, it is better that we should from time to time change our way of being wrong."

Tamburlaine Must Die
Tamburlaine Must Die
by Louise Welsh

2.0 out of 5 stars Give this Marlowe a miss, 22 Nov. 2004
This review is from: Tamburlaine Must Die (Hardcover)
After reading Charles Nicholls' and Anthony Burgess' books and becoming fascinated by the Marlovian legend, I thought I'd give this one a go. To be honest I expected it to be really good, but I was slightly disappointed. It's not a tragically awful book, but I think it could have been much improved.

I never felt connected with the character of Marlowe, and I never suspended my disbelief. I just couldn't allow myself to become absorbed by it. Maybe I would have become more interested if the book had been longer and the story had been given time to develop. It's really very short (and spaced out on the page) and I felt the whole plot was a little shallow. The pace is fast, but this doesn't mean anything when there's nothing to pull you in.

Overall, I would like to have seen a piece of work that cut a little deeper. There's nothing to make this one stand out from the crowd. I would recommend it to true Marlowe enthusiasts only. If you buy this expecting a gripping tale of murder and intrigue I think you will be as disappointed as I was.

Page: 1 | 2