Profile for Ms. A. Aspin > Reviews

Ingenious Pain
Ingenious Pain
by Andrew Miller

5.0 out of 5 stars As beautiful as a stark winter landscape, 13 Dec 2008
This review is from: Ingenious Pain (Paperback)
This was the first Andrew Miller book I read and although I've enjoyed all his others they all pale in comparison.

This book is worth reading (and re-reading) for the stark, elegant, simple beauty of its prose alone.

But it is stunningly good in so many other ways too: its extraordinarily vivid evocations of time and place; the ingenuity of the premise; the rich, utterly credible cast of characters; its page-turning plot; and, perhaps most astonishingly, the way it makes you (...well, it makes me, anyway) weep for its main character.

I have re-read this book many times over the years. And I know I will keep returning to it in the future.

Just beautiful.

Freedom from Asthma: Buteyko's Revolutionary Treatment (Hale Clinic health library)
by Konstantin Buteyko

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed my lfe, for less than the price of a prescription!, 29 Jan 2008
I had very bad asthma. I woud wake up every morning hardly able to breathe and would need about ten minutes of repeatedly using my Ventolin inhaler before I could get out of bed. I was also on Becotide twice a day. I wouldn't go anywhere - even to the corner shop 50 yards away - without my Ventolin in my pocket.

I read this book, felt that it wasn't really based on 100% sound science/logic, decided to follow its advice anyway - on a "What have I got to lose??" basis - and I have not used Ventolin since. And I was off the Becotide within a month. I have been drug-free - and wheeze-free - since about a month after I read the book.

That was about 4 or 5 years ago. Reading that book was life-changing for me. To be honest I no longer even consider myself to be an asthmatic.

Some reviews of this book say you need to pay £££££££s for a course. Not so in my case. I just read the book, took note of what it said, and Bob, as they say, was my uncle ;o)

The Complete Plain Words
The Complete Plain Words
by Sir Ernest Gowers

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic little book, 19 Jun 2006
I first read this book cover-to-cover, like a novel. It is interesting, easy to read and entertaining. It also covers a LOT of ground without being complicated or long-winded.

I bought this book in the late 90s and I still refer to it regularly. It's a fantastic little reference book. It explains things very clearly, and the examples it uses are very helpful indeed.

Its index is great; you can find what you're looking for very quickly.

It's refreshing to read a book about English usage which reflects our times and stresses the importance of clarity and elegance over blind adherence to Latin-based rules (e.g. it takes a sensible and pragmatic approach to the splitting of infinitives and to sentences ending with prepositions), but which at the same time doesn't do any "dumbing down" - everything it recommends is firmly rooted in good grammar and educated, clear use of the language.

This book was first published 52 years ago, but it has been updated to keep it current. In my opinion it is the best book you can buy if you want a clear, concise, sensible guide to writing well.

Oh - and the section on verbo-pomposity is a hoot!