Profile for Hugo > Reviews

Content by Hugo

Hugo

1.5M (1.5 Meter) XO PLATINUM HDMI TO HDMI Cable *New 2.0/1.4 Version High-Speed with ETHERNET and 3D 21GPS* FULL HD 2160p/1080p for XBOX 360, PS3, PS4, SKYHD, VIRGIN BOX, DVD, BLU-RAY, UHD, LCD, LED, PLASMA, Dolby TrueHD, Samsung LG SONY PANASONIC HDTV
Offered by HDCentral

5.0 out of 5 stars Solved problem, 25 April 2014
I had a problem with a "cheaper" cable that was getting electromagnetic interference and shorting out the picture of my PVR. This cable stopped that dues to it's woven EMF sheath. It also cost half the price of the very poor cable I got at the shop with my PVR! Recommended.

Vapor Trails (Remixed)
Vapor Trails (Remixed)

3.0 out of 5 stars I knew it...., 9 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Vapor Trails (Remixed) (Audio CD)
...I actually prefer the original on most of the tracks. This sounds "better" but tamer.

It's one of their best albums though and the only one you need after Hold Your Fire.

Unleashed In The East
Unleashed In The East

5.0 out of 5 stars Metal Gods., 9 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Unleashed In The East (Audio CD)
Masterpiece. Rock music at it's best. The guitarists work so well together and more great riffs than you could count. Should be in everyone's record collection. Nuff said.

Futurama - The Collected Epics [DVD]
Futurama - The Collected Epics [DVD]
Dvd ~ Billy West

4.0 out of 5 stars Truly marvellous..., 9 Mar. 2014
I saw three of these movies on TV over Xmas, I wasn't a Futurama fan before this but I am now. These are excellent, well written and very funny with a brutal wit. Benders Big Score is the best but "The Beast with a Billion Backs" and "Into the Wild Green Yonder" run it close, really imaginative stories that don't let up for the duration and definitely not padded TV episodes.

So I brought the box set so I could see the one I missed, "Benders Game" and that's the only one I don't like. LOL! Maybe I'll get used to it but it's well worth having for the others.

Panasonic DMR-HWT130EB Smart 500GB Recorder with Twin Freeview+ Tuners
Panasonic DMR-HWT130EB Smart 500GB Recorder with Twin Freeview+ Tuners

4.0 out of 5 stars Great picture but fiddly and slow..., 9 Mar. 2014
Purchased to replace a string of faulty refurbished Humaxes this Panasonic is a delight with just a few caveats.

First, and most important, the picture quality is truly excellent on both HD and Standard definition. And best of all you can alter the picture in playback with a choice of modes like "fine" or "cinema" or you can adjust various parameters yourself!

It is also silent in operation due to there being no fan. Big plus.

The only drawbacks I can see are all in comparison to Humax machines: it's a bit slow doing things like pausing live TV and skipping through the adverts but you get used to this. You can't set the EPG when watching a recording and there is no two hour skip or direct access to channels on the EPG, you have to scroll through the lot and it's slow but you can hide any unwanted channels to make it a bit easier.

It seems unnecessarily complex to use though, there are loads of little icons you have to understand and extra buttons to push to get it to do things, it seems like it was designed by an engineer and not by someone with an understanding of what people actually want on a saturday night when they are in a rush to go out and want to record something but don't fancy leafing through a 70 page manual. Humax win here with their user-friendliness. But you get used to this too...

But for two weeks I thought it wasn't recording properly, apparently missing some things and not others and even saying it was recording something but not showing it on the library list later. But it turned out there is an extra button you have to press in Direct Navigation (huh?) mode and this reveals a list of options that you have to decipher and scroll down to reveal everything that it has recorded in that subgroup! And none of it is in the manual! See what I mean? I nearly returned it as faulty...

Apparently it does someone internety-appy things but I wouldn't know about that, what's the point of catch-up TV when you have an 8 day EPG, 500GB recorder and twin HD tuners?

All in all though, it's excellent and you get used to its quirks and cumbersomeness with a bit of practise so I'm keeping it. But if you are used to the Humax operating system you may find it an uphill slog until you get the hang of it.

It does lose a star though, mainly because it doesn't come with a HDMI lead (cheapskates) and because there is no mute button on the remote control. Duh.

Vapor Trails
Vapor Trails

4.0 out of 5 stars A Modern Classic From Rush, 14 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Vapor Trails (Audio CD)
After the disappointingly lacklustre "Test for Echo" I thought I would wait until I'd heard "Vapour Trails" before buying. I needn't have worried as it's a masterpiece to stand alongside their best work.

This is musical triumphalism, a band of supremely talented guys that sound like they are at their peak and not even remotely bored with having played together for 30 years. This must be quite an achievement in itself. I always considered Rush to be the only progressive rock band that actually progressed anywhere and here they are making another great leap ahead of the competition. All tracks are original, imaginative and played with real passion. Oh, and it's their heaviest album ever, The programmed synth lines of the 80s are a distant memory here. This is real pounding hard rock but with enough soul, mood swings and introspective moments to keep the listener on his toes.

It's hard to believe that Neil Peart had a crisis of confidence in his playing while writing the album, he apparently had to have a seperate area to play with no-one watching him! Still, after a personally disastrous few years that resulted in him not playing drums at all it's no surprise if felt insecure about his talent but this album has some of the best rock drumming ever. Positively incendiary on "Out of the cradle". It's a gem boys, one of the best ever Rush tracks.

So why only 4 stars? The production is the worst I have ever heard (in stark contrast to the claims of crystal clarity in the Amazon review above). Apparently Geddy was left to work on it and totally hashed up the levels and they couldn't be returned without introducing some hideous distortion to the sound. On first listen I thought they had gone for a pretentious "warts and all" approach, but apparently not. Being charitable, it's a compressed, dynamic-free wall of mush. If only it sounded as good as "Counterparts" - what a missed opportunity. I still love it though, but how much more if it sounded as good as it ought to?

Apparently there is a remaster awaiting to be released, I think those of us who forked out for the original album should get a free copy. Yeah, that'll happen!

In a nutshell: First rate music, 93rd rate sound quality.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Humax Improved, 29 Nov. 2008
I'm happy to be the first to review this product with it's new software upgrade.

When I purchased this a week ago I was horrified at the ridiculously loud fan noise. After contacting Humax to see if it was a fault I was told an over the air upgrade was coming this week. What a difference it makes, it's gone from being the loudest PVR on the market to the quietest! So instead of telling people to avoid it give it five stars. The picture quality is superb with no blocking or freezing, it's a piece of cake to reord shows and even series. And it never misses the end of a show, a big improvement on my old one.

Sure there are a few ways I'd like the software to be improved but it's nothing you can't work round with a few clicks. Top marks.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 13, 2009 1:10 PM BST