Profile for wang > Reviews

Content by wang

wang

Tuff-Luv Natural Hemp Book-style case cover for Sony PRS-T2 eReader - 'Mocha' Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars Brillo pads, 8 Jan 2014
It's brilliant :)

Very tough and lives up to it's name. Nice look and feel to the leather and it's a snug fit with a secure fastening for the stylus and a few loose sheets in the inlay. The outer material does pick up smells more easily as it's a fabric so be wary of that. Only issue I'd say it has is that you can't lay it flat after folding the cover behind itself (opening the cover out 360 degrees along a vertical plane). This is because it's very thick and tough, but the leather isn't scored or ridged to allow it to compress or fasten flat.

GERMAN ARMY ISSUE GORETEX , FAUX FUR LINED SNOW MITTS/OVER MITTS
GERMAN ARMY ISSUE GORETEX , FAUX FUR LINED SNOW MITTS/OVER MITTS
Offered by CISSBURY RETAIL
Price: 10.99 - 13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm and toasty mitts with room for gloves underneath, 8 Jan 2014
Built to last, with nice simple and robust and pronounced metal clips to fasten the gloves to eachother or to your coat (for example). The gloves are roomy enough to fit another cheaper/thinner pair of gloves inside, or you can use thin glove liners, but I'm not sure you'd want to as they are so warm!

Bushcraft BCB Military Survival Tin - Green
Bushcraft BCB Military Survival Tin - Green
Offered by CamoOutdoor - The Sports & Camouflage Outfitters
Price: 15.67

3.0 out of 5 stars Good starter kit, 10 April 2012
Good, but may need customising depending on your needs. It mostly served as motivation to build my own kit. I wish I had known about these flaws before buying it -- better to build your own kit really.

Items I left out of my final tin:
* Knife - not very good: a non-locking, 3.5cm blade with a very narrow (approx. 1mm) grind on it. It can just about be used to strike sparks off of the ferrocerium fire-starting rod, with a lot of effort. I'm using the included striker for that, and the razor blades for any skinning.
* Ferrocerium handle - it's huge (as is the rod itself, but I think I'll keep it) and poorly attached; I could easily pull off the handle with not much force using my bare hands.
* Pencil - In a survival situation I doubt you'd need a pencil. Feel free to argue otherwise.
* Packaging - the Wind & Waterproof Matches come in a huge plastic wrapper.
* Candle - is quite large for my kit, so I replaced it with a normal finger-type candle shaved down into a rectangle.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 3, 2012 8:28 AM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money bushcraft knife, 14 Sep 2010
Frank Schauss said it all really. A 1/2 length rat-tail tang design (do a google image search for "mora xray" - this one is 3rd from the top), clever swivelling belt loop that moves with your leg when you sit down, and a clicking sheath that stays on securely. The blade comes razor sharp, holds an edge through heavy use (splitting, notch & feathering) for about a week (a good thing), and it sharpens to factory condition with a selection of whet stones. The handle is plastic with a rubber cover, but has withstood splitting so seems to be strong. All in all a bargain for a high-quality knife.

Yellowstone Folding Water Carrier - 15 Litre
Yellowstone Folding Water Carrier - 15 Litre
Offered by Uber Mountain
Price: 4.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to fill & pour, 14 Sep 2010
I tried it out for a week camping. It's ok if you're not willing to spend much, as it does hold water during carrying and when stationary. However, the tap screw thread on the carrier is just a thicker version of the same cheap plastic the carrier is made of, and flexes easily, meaning it would probably leak if not kept upright. Since the tap is at the top, it's also really awkward to pour as you have to tip the whole carrier on it's side - and the weak plastic bulges all over the place. Pouring is a two person job, ideally.

Small Smiling Face
Small Smiling Face
Offered by BuzzBase
Price: 5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars bang for my buck, 27 Jan 2008
Bought in the belief that I would be receiving a simple garden ornament, I was shocked to unbox a 10 foot tall prosthetic nobdick, and to my dismay wisened to the photographic angle trickery at play in the item image. This small smiling face is merely the peak of a long shaft of rubber!

I thought little gain in returning the item so I decided I would leave it in the lounge for a few days.

The same night I awoke to find the item lodged in my left nostril, stumbled for the lights and accidentally discovered a new erogenous zone.

I just wish more amazon items had such well hidden surprises as this one! Something to learn from sellers!

Praise the small smiling face!