Profile for ValD > Reviews

Sharp R270SLM 20ltr Solo Microwave Silver
Price: 67.99

2.0 out of 5 stars UPDATE - RUST FORMED IN LESS THAN A YEAR, 5 Jan 2014
UPDATE TO REVIEW BELOW
I have had this microwave for less than a year and have had to replace it due to rust forming under the turntable, so I am no longer so impressed. It was a refurbished item but there appeared to be nothing wrong with the interior when I bought it.

Original review: -

This is an excellent small microwave which does everything I need and is simple to use.

It has quick settings for 1 minute, 10 minutes and 10 seconds and has adjustable power settings (default is full). It can also be programmed to cook for a period on one power setting (eg defrost) followed by time on another setting. Great value for money.

The only problem is that my husband needs reading glasses to see the buttons. It is smaller than my previous microwave so some dishes are a bit of a squeeze but I have no complaints.

GTECH Cordless Sweeper 7.2v NiMH SW02
GTECH Cordless Sweeper 7.2v NiMH SW02
Price: 49.95

1.0 out of 5 stars problem with emptying, 5 Jan 2014
This may be an excellent sweeper, but unfortunately I was unable to use it.

I bought it because I have a broken arm and needed something light and simple to use one-handed. I also have arthritis in my fingers and lugging a vacuum cleaner around is a real chore, so I wanted the sweeper for daily use.

The charger is packed inside the dust tray and I found it absolutely impossible to open it. My two-handed husband did manage to get it out (with a struggle) but even without the charger inside it was extremely difficult to open the dust compartment. The video makes it look remarkably easy, but even my guitar playing husband could not open it one-handed and there is nothing wrong with his fingers! Maybe it loosens with use.

It was obvious that I would never manage it - certainly not with a broken arm, so I sent it back unused and bought a different sweeper which I can empty easily. Arthritic old crones beware!

Hive Options Low Melt Peach Paraffin Wax Blocks 250g - Pack of 4 Trays
Hive Options Low Melt Peach Paraffin Wax Blocks 250g - Pack of 4 Trays
Offered by Just Beauty UK
Price: 15.50

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect for arthritis, 12 Mar 2013
I use this wax daily to warm up arthritic hands before doing stretching exercises. Recently I purchased a different Hive wax which was described as having 'a low melt temperature' - but it turned out not to be a low melt wax and even when it was going solid, it was way too hot. This one is perfect. I can dip my hands in the wax bath without searing the skin off!

I was worried about the fragrance because I really wanted a fragrance free wax but could not find one. Lavender makes me feel ill, but the peach is very gentle and pleasant so I am delighted with it.

NB It is not for depilatory use.

Hive Fragrance-Free Paraffin Wax 750g - Pellets - HOB5570
Hive Fragrance-Free Paraffin Wax 750g - Pellets - HOB5570

1.0 out of 5 stars Too high a melt point, 2 Mar 2013
I purchased this product to use as therapy for arthritis in my hands.

The problem is that the melt temperature is so high that I cannot dip my hands into the bath, or pour it over my hands using a cup, even when the wax is starting to solidify. I did not have any problem with the original wax which came with the bath, nor with a previous product from Hive, which was a low melt wax.

I have a reasonable tolerance to heat and this is described as therapeutic wax so I expected it to be suitable for this purpose but it was impossible to use, so a complete waste of money. The product details on this item say that it has a low melt temperature, which is definitely not the case.

BINATONE 1042285 ReadMe Mobile Slimline Colour Screen eBook Reader with Wi-Fi (Black)
Offered by GSM-Fonz
Price: 45.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Binatone Read Me Colour, 3 Sep 2012
I bought this e reader because it was larger than a Kindle (it has a 7" screen) and significantly cheaper. Having had a very bad experience with a tablet computer, I wanted something simple to use and which did not operate using a finicky touch screen.

This e reader is perfect. It is delightfully easy to use, has buttons for navigation and is back-lit so can be read in the dark. I have never tried to use it in bright sunshine, but have used it in total darkness, when it is slightly too bright, but still acceptable. I read a lot and for long periods and have never had a problem with the battery, but I do charge it up regularly. Once it did freeze up, but there is a simple re-set mechanism which sorted it out.

Books have to be downloaded on a computer then transferred. The operation is simple but it is not possible to see the books appear on the reader as the transfer takes place. Once transferred they appear on a library shelf or in an 'explorer' section, from which it is also very simple to delete.

Reading a book is simple, there are two sets of buttons which can be used to turn a page forward or back and there is no need to bookmark a page when you turn off because you can continue reading from the page you were on. My only criticism is that the 'enter' button could be a bit larger. The left and right buttons are much bigger and easier to use.

PDFs are not so easy to view. There is an option to re-size but I found that they only fit the page with tiny print. I did not try reading in landscape format instead of portrait, but this is an option. I stick to EPUBs which are straightforward and I have downloaded umpteen classics for free [legally]. So far I haven't bothered to extend the memory but cards are available.

This is amazing value for money and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

UPDATE - I have now downloaded Calibre software to my computer. This enables me to convert books in other formats, e.g. Kindle, to Epub so I can read them on the Binatone reader. The software is free and very easy to use.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 23, 2013 4:48 PM BST

M009F (Replacement for the bestselling M009S) 7 inch 4GB Google Android Tablet PC - Cheapest 2.3 Android Tablet works with Flash 10.1 - WiFi , Touchscreen, Android Market, Youtube, Kindle and Facebook App

2.0 out of 5 stars Android tablet - M009F, 27 July 2012
I recently purchased an M009F Android tablet to use largely as an e reader, but because it seemed to be more versatile. I use Kindle for PC and this one claimed to have Kindle pre-loaded but it is not there. It is also supposed to have a 4GB drive, but mine only showed a 2.3GB drive.

The first thing I did was try to put a screen protector on. This is extremely difficult and it ended up full of bubbles which took an age to shift, and some are still there.

The next job was to set up wi fi - it didn't work.. Lots of people seem to have this problem but in my case it turned out to be because you are supposed to enter the wi fi key when it asks for password - not the password used for the account. When that got sorted, it connected fine.

Then I tried, and failed to find Kindle. There is no icon for it and a search finds nothing. There is an I-reader but the instruction manual is virtually useless and I could find no way to get a book from my memory stick into the reader. That would also be the case for photos etc. The Android seems to recognise the stick, but nothing I did enabled me to see the files on it.

I then decided to download Kindle for Android, but having wasted a whole day doing nothing else, failed miserably.

The touch screen is extremely erratic. Sometimes it responds well, others it doesn't respond at all. This made using the web extremely difficult, particularly when trying to enter passwords in order to download Kindle. The on-screen keyboard is quite clever, but it can be difficult to get it to show, then to remove it and it appears over the top of what you are trying to fill in.

When I plugged in a wireless keyboard it worked, but was a bit slow to react. Unfortunately the Android did not recognise the @ symbol from the wireless keyboard, so I had to use the on-screen version to insert it for an e mail address.

I have never used an i phone and this was my first attempt with an Android, so maybe others who are more used to this technology would find it less frustrating, but it drove me nuts. I never managed to try the e reader function, but the screen is very difficult to read in bright light, so I suspect a straight e reader would be more use.

I am going to return this one because it simply did not match the spec and I can't afford to waste any more time struggling with it.

Update - further research shows that this model is not an Eken M009F but a China Telecom Infotmicm 7206 which does not support Kindle. The supplier may not have been aware of this but I have now informed them.

Energenie Power Meter
Energenie Power Meter
Price: 10.48

2.0 out of 5 stars product instructions wrong, 13 Oct 2011
I bought this product to check the cost of running a range of electrical items, which is what most customers will be doing. The instructions say that you can clear the total KWh used by pressing the function key for 5 seconds. This is not correct and the manufacturers should have changed the instruction sheet by now.

Other readings can be cleared by holding down the function key, but not the total energy used. This is a serious fault in the product as you have to reset everything [clock, cost per unit etc] every time you want to check a different electrical item. I should have read the product reviews before buying!

As others have said, the meter is almost impossible to read when plugged in, but it does retain the information when removed from the socket so that's not too much of a problem.