Profile for EGR > Reviews

Content by EGR

EGR "EGR" (Kefalonia, Greece)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Aunty Ida's Full-Service Mental Institution (by Invitation Only)
Aunty Ida's Full-Service Mental Institution (by Invitation Only)

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinarily original., 11 Aug 2014
The first Isa-Lee Wolf book that I read was "The Great Paradox and the Innies and Outies of Time Management", and I have to admit that I skipped a lot of the early chapters as I found the writing style intensely irritating. However, as the plot finally got under way, the style improved to such an extent that I thought I'd risk another of her books.

Happily, this book is a vast improvement and easily fulfils the potential that I though I had detected in the GP. It really is an extraordinarily original book, and very readable.

Six Hot Alphas, One Bad Girl
Six Hot Alphas, One Bad Girl

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely dire, 11 Aug 2014
I just had to get this book to see if it was as dire as most reviewers claimed.
It is. Take my (and their) words for it. Don't waste your time in downloading it!

An Episode of Sparrows: A Virago Modern Classic (VMC Book 149)
An Episode of Sparrows: A Virago Modern Classic (VMC Book 149)

5.0 out of 5 stars A very moving and beautifully told story, 16 Jun 2014
I've no idea what made me decide to buy this book, but I'm glad I did.

Each of the characters is beautifully drawn, each with their own flaws and merits. Godden's ability to swing the reader's sympathies from one to another is impressive.

And in the end, the story turns out to be one of redemption, but redemption for someone who up until then has seemed almost peripheral to the lives of the main protagonists.

Variant Reflections: Digital Science Fiction Original Collection
Variant Reflections: Digital Science Fiction Original Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and imaginative short stories, 16 Jun 2014
I enjoyed every one of these short stories, many of which seemed like snapshots taken from full-length novels.

Some of them put me in mind of the surreality of the early Christopher Priest stuff, while others made me think of Michael Moorcock and J.G. Ballard. That's not to imply that they lack originality; on the contrary, Robinson's ability to construct fantastic worlds is impressive, not least because he manages to convey vividly all the imagery in a short story, and without the need for exposition.

The Jack London Science Fiction Megapack: The Complete Science Fiction and Fantasy of Jack London

1.0 out of 5 stars Now I know why Jack London is not well-known for his Sci-Fi, 16 Jun 2014
I'm a great fan of the Megapack series, but this book is absolutely terrible.

Most of the stories could hardly be described as Sci-fi, and those that can do nothing more than demonstrate JL's complete lack of even basic scientific knowledge (and yes, I am taking into account when they were written).

All of the above could be forgiven if only the stories weren't so utterly boring, and the prose so turgid.

The Magicians of Caprona (The Chrestomanci Series, Book 2)
The Magicians of Caprona (The Chrestomanci Series, Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent Chrestomanci story, 4 May 2014
I bought this immediately on finishing "A Charmed Life", which is the first in the series, and which I enjoyed very much.

I wasn't disappointed - a great, light fantasy story for children or adults.

Charmed Life (The Chrestomanci Series, Book 1)
Charmed Life (The Chrestomanci Series, Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent light reading for children and adults, 2 May 2014
I have to confess that I'd never heard of Diana Wynne Jones before. I downloaded a sample on a whim, read a few pages, and immediately purchased it.

Having just finished it, I've now bought the next in the series. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys a bit of original escapism, regardless of their age.

Akasa 2.5/3.5 inch to 5.25 inch Mounting Adapter
Akasa 2.5/3.5 inch to 5.25 inch Mounting Adapter

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, but poor quality and over-priced., 2 May 2014
The mounting holes for the 3.5 inch drive are slightly too low, so it's a real pig to fit - for some drives, you may need to ream the holes.
The case mounting is by tiny self-tapping screws into plastic - dead easy to over-tighten and strip. At this price they could have included metal inserts for the screws.

Anker® 3.5 inch Front Panel USB Hub with 2 USB 3.0 Ports [20 Pin Connector & 2ft Adapter Cable]
Offered by AnkerDirect

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality and does the job, 2 May 2014
Easy to fit, and as other have mentioned, it's nice that it has metal threaded inserts to take the mounting screws.
Shame that it has unnecessary legend on the front that spoils the look of the case. I knows it's USB3, and I really couldn't care less which is Port 1 or 2 (especially as, with two ports on the back panel, these are actually ports 3 and 4)

The Steampunk Megapack: 26 Modern and Classic Steampunk Stories
The Steampunk Megapack: 26 Modern and Classic Steampunk Stories

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really Steampunk, 11 April 2014
The Megapacks are always good value, so I tend to buy them if I'm just looking for something to pass the time. Some of these stories are OK, but not what I would class as Steampunk at all, the whole point of which (in my far from humble opinion) is that it should be set in an alternative past, but illuminated by modern insights. How stories actually written in the late nineteenth or early twentieth century can be classed as Steampunk is beyond me.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5