Profile for Wittgenfrog > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Antiference A1200R 2 Way Digital TV Aerial Signal Booster/Amplifier
Antiference A1200R 2 Way Digital TV Aerial Signal Booster/Amplifier

4.0 out of 5 stars Does a simple job efficiently, 13 Feb. 2015
This works well for me in my valley in West Wales. It boosts my OTA signal sufficiently to ensure reliable reception most of the time.

Venom 35C 3S 5000mAh 11.1 LiPO Hardcase Battery with Universal Plug
Venom 35C 3S 5000mAh 11.1 LiPO Hardcase Battery with Universal Plug

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Value & prompt Service, 13 Feb. 2015
I was a bit dubious, as this isn't a brand I'm familiar with, but so-far the battery has proven very good. I guess time will tell if its got a long life and is reliable over time.

My biggest complaint is that the multiple connectors don't include an XT60 which I've standardised on for this size & capacity.

Cabo Verde
Cabo Verde

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Cabo Verde (Audio CD)
Really interesting

Samsung 840 Series Pro 128GB 2.5 inch SATA Solid State Drive
Samsung 840 Series Pro 128GB 2.5 inch SATA Solid State Drive
Offered by Appods

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Product, 29 Jun. 2014
Samsung SSDs are widely considered to be amongst the very best available, with excellent performance and good reliability.
These characteristics are reinforced by an excellent support application (Samsung Magician) which makes it very easy to configure and update the drive as necessary.

Kingston ValueRam 8 GB DDR3L 1600 MHz SODIMM CL11 Memory Module
Kingston ValueRam 8 GB DDR3L 1600 MHz SODIMM CL11 Memory Module

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, 29 Jun. 2014
What can I say about an SDRAM.
This does all I expected - it simply works, so what's not to like

Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete 5 Device DVD(PC/Mac)
Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete 5 Device DVD(PC/Mac)
Offered by Aqua Reefer

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and efficient, 22 Mar. 2014
I've been using Webroot's ultra-lightweight Anti-virus & malware products for a couple of years now, both professionally and personally.

Thus far they have successfully helped to protect both my Work and Home systems and do so very unobtrusively but effectively. Webroot's "Cloud" based approach works well.

If you're used to heavyweight Anti-Virus products the installation is a revelation, being superfast and straightforward ; requiring virtually no intervention from the user. The 5 PC licence is exceptional value and means that all the PCs in our household can be secure with relatively little cost or effort.

Once installed, the program carries-out a scan of your PC to check for "nasties".
The application's green Control Panel is attractive and quite clearly laid-out. There are a plethora of options, and a number of bundled utilities. The default settings seem to work very well for a Home user. Unless you need them, they can simply be left alone.
If malware is detected, Webroot pops up a red notification dialog which certainly grabs the attention.

Webroot has successfully protected all the systems I've used it on.
Webroot is very good, but Malware writers are a cunning bunch, and no matter how good the lookup tables or the heuristics (guessing) algorithms employed by anti-malware programs they can't beat everything.
As an IT professional I always recommend that people use two different Anti-malware programs in conjunction with one another to try and ensure nothing slips through the net.

BatRecycle - Battery Recycling Bin with built in tester
BatRecycle - Battery Recycling Bin with built in tester
Offered by BatRecycle

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple gadget which solves a problem, 22 Mar. 2014
It's a very simple & convenient solution to an awkward problem. It beats my previous methods of sticking old batteries in a plastic bag, which I could never find when I wanted it!

Only downside, it's a bit pricey

Nokia Universal CR-123 Mobile Phone Holder - Black
Nokia Universal CR-123 Mobile Phone Holder - Black
Offered by Mabuseller

5.0 out of 5 stars Very classy, 22 Mar. 2014
This is a very well-thought out and made product. It is both robust & practical and (most importantly) it both adheres well to my windscreen, and holds my Nokia 'phone sturdily.

It's not the cheapest option by a long way, but if you regularly use your 'phone as a SATNAV it is much superior to cheaper alternatives I've tried.

The 5000 Spirits or the Layers of the Onion
The 5000 Spirits or the Layers of the Onion

5.0 out of 5 stars A seminal "New" Folk album, 8 Mar. 2014
My vinyl copy is a bity knackered, after years of used and occasional abuse, having been played on everything from portable Dansettes to posh Hi-Fis, hence purchasing this CD.

This was one of the first Incredible String Band albums, and was something of a manifesto for what was to follow. The music is appropriately eclectic, though I feel that is a consequence of what interested the Band, rather than any attempt to be "different". The mood of the tracks varies between sombre ( eg. "The Eyes of Fate", "My Name is death") and light and facetious ("Hedgehog's Song", "Back in the 1960s"), and several points in-between.

This record exudes a kind of optimistic lyricism that was very much a feature of the 1960s, with a smattering of teenage angst. The musicianship and vocal performances are well-realised, particularly the harmonic elements, though not necessarily to everyone's taste. They elicit ere is a wide variety of sounds and timbres from a range of unusual "World" instruments, in addition to more normal guitars, violins etc.

As an unreconstructed Hippy with Punk tendencies I find myself listening to this a lot. Its very hard to disentangle the sentimentality that goes with an evocation of one's youth, from a more objective evaluation of the music. Ultimately its simply a matter of listening and making-up one's own mind, but I rather doubt it will appeal much to fans of Mumford & Sons.....

Logitech M525 Wireless Mouse - Green
Logitech M525 Wireless Mouse - Green

2.0 out of 5 stars Very laggy & imprecise, 8 Mar. 2014
I was hoping this would work alongside my K800 keyboard, but unfortunately it has been a bit of a disaster and I've resorted to using my ancient MS wireless mouse instead.

As far as I can tell its a problem with the "Unifying" adaptor, which seems unable to run both the keyboard & mouse smoothly. As noted in my previous review, this might be a consequence of incompatibilities with Windows 8.1. A big company like Logitech should really have delivered approved drivers by now, particularly with the imminent arrival of Windows 81. update 1.

The mouse is also quite small, which I find quite helpful owing to having a messy, cluttered desk, but if you're used to a "standard" sized MS mouse it may come as a shock

Page: 1 | 2 | 3