Profile for Julie D > Reviews

Content by Julie D
Top Reviewer Ranking: 804

Julie D (Lancashire, England)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
KRISP Retro Boho Pleated Flower Contrast Bubble Jersey Mini Dress Tunic Party (Mocha,14)
Offered by krisp clothing

2.0 out of 5 stars Will suit many - just not for me..., 19 July 2016
This wouldn't have been suitable as a dress for me - I'm 5'7" - but the many positive reviews suggested it would be worth trying as a tunic top. The fabric was superb - softly draping - and the item was lined so may be a little heavy and rather warm for even the British summer. The flower trim was a bit tacky-looking but easily removed as it's attached with a safety pin. The shape however did not suit me. Don't necessarily let this put you off as I believe it depends in large part on how you're built and I'm aware my shape is less common. I'm big around the chest but usually a size smaller on the hips so the shape tended to emphasize broadness at the bust. The shape could be right for many a 'pear-shape' and will hide lumps and bumps - just not right for me. Nonetheless a well-made item you might think is worth considering.

New Look Women's Alexandra Stripe Grandad 3/4 Sleeve Shirt, White (White Patterned), 14

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value basic top, 19 July 2016
New Look tops are apt to be rather hit and miss. The Alexandra Stripe is more hit than miss with a flattering shape - slightly longer at the back - and a monochrome look that resembles mattress ticking. The sleeve length is adjustable - can be worn hitched up or long-sleeved when there is a single button to the cuff and looks okay both ways. My two criticisms would be the fabric - 100% viscose is soft but also tends to crease easily - and the fit around the bust which is lacking a bit of room but would be possible for the daring to undo that button without revealing too much. For the price - good.

Sistema 2.3L Lunch Tub with Removable Multi Compartment Tray, Green
Sistema 2.3L Lunch Tub with Removable Multi Compartment Tray, Green
Offered by Online Kitchenware

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful size and shape..., 19 July 2016
This is one of the most useful Sistema lunch boxes being rather deeper than many in their range. Well-made and robust with plenty of room in it, the configuration allows safe carriage of diverse food items - such as salad at the bottom, crackers in the upper removable tray alongside butter and a few nuts in the separate lidded compartments. It is fridge and freezer safe but do adhere to the online recommendation to wash only the lower part of the tub and not the lid in the dishwasher; a similar Lock n' Lock container warped and became useless when I washed both in the dishwasher upper rack. Also this type of plastic storage box can become brittle in the freezer - leaving for a few minutes unopened can assist in counteracting this.

New Look Women's Frilled Tops, Black, 14
New Look Women's Frilled Tops, Black, 14

2.0 out of 5 stars Unflattering..., 30 Jun. 2016
Fabric OK but overall this is a very unflattering top that looks a little different from the online 'photo in that the frilled part of the sleeves sticks out from the body in an odd fashion. This may have worked in a different type of fabric but in jersey it is much less of a success. Even at Amazon's heavily discounted price I'm afraid this frilled top is not worth the money.

Orly Colour Blast Grape Neon
Orly Colour Blast Grape Neon

5.0 out of 5 stars More magenta..., 29 Jun. 2016
A great shade, very striking - but probably not for you if you're after purple. Neither is it 'neon'; it's really more like magenta However, it is very pigmented and gives excellent coverage. The rubberized cap is a great idea as it improves grip and hopefully prevents accidents. Orly is a premium brand - interesting colours and great quality. Recommended.

SEXY JANE Ladies Stretch 2 PACK Finely Ribbed Bootleg Trousers, Sizes 10-26, 3 Lengths, Black or Navy (12 Long, Black)
Offered by BrandBuys (SMD)

4.0 out of 5 stars A little hit and miss..., 29 Jun. 2016
For the price, these trousers are good. I actually saw a pack of them on Warehouse Deals but when they arrived there was only one pair when the description had stated there were two. The fit and shape was so good however that I returned the incomplete pack and sent for a full-priced lot. Unfortunately the two pairs I received weren't nearly so good as the ones from the incomplete pack; the cut appeared slightly larger which affected the appearance of the trousers and the loose fabric at the top of my thighs was particularly unflattering. The length was good - but the trousers I received second time around were definitely a little wider than the first pair I had. Disappointing - wish I'd kept the first trousers now! I can only assume the items are not entirely consistent. You may be luckier - certainly worth considering as work wear.

Veevan Womens Alligator Pattern Shoulder Handbag (Black)
Veevan Womens Alligator Pattern Shoulder Handbag (Black)
Offered by VEEVAN

5.0 out of 5 stars Good looking and practical..., 29 Jun. 2016
This is a good looking handbag - practical too with detachable shoulder strap (plenty long enough for taller women), two zippered sections and two main inner sections so you can attempt to organise your stuff. I've had mine for six weeks or so and find the bag smart and useful. I read many of the Amazon reviews prior to purchase and should confirm that the handbag is faux - not real - patent leather though the alligator pattern is realistic looking in my view. The rear of the bag is all alligator pattern with the front part contrasting alligator and smooth patent effect; detailing is good and adds to the overall effect. The gold hardware is minimal and not over-brassy. Not sure the very high alleged starting price on the bag is for real but don't let this put you off - it's an attractive item indeed for the price and does look more expensive than the price you'll pay. I'm just contemplating buying another in the same colour as a gift.

Vanish Gold Oxi Action Stain Remover Powergel 200 ml (Pack of Four)
Vanish Gold Oxi Action Stain Remover Powergel 200 ml (Pack of Four)

5.0 out of 5 stars Every home needs Vanish Powergel!, 28 Jun. 2016
It's irritating that some stain removers are marketed as only intending to remove particular types of stains. Vanish Gold Oxi Action Powergel is a great all-rounder to have on hand and will cope with many different stains. Simple to use, apply Vanish Powergel ideally when the stain is fresh, rub in, leave up to five minutes then wash as usual. What about really stubborn stains? I noticed quite a bad red wine stain on a favourite ivory coloured top I'd left at the bottom of the laundry bin with the intention of washing a few paler colours together - don't know how it got there but must have been on the garment for a fortnight at least. Went to work with Vanish Powergel and though the stain didn't come out completely on the first go, I repeated the procedure and it came out second time around. I only discovered this product as I learned that my Vanish product of choice - Powertabs - had been discontinued and I'm so glad I did. Don't leave it until a stain comes your way before investing in this highly effective product - every home needs Vanish Powergel!

Nomad Soul
Nomad Soul

5.0 out of 5 stars A soul pulsating with beauty and passion..., 28 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Nomad Soul (Audio CD)
The first Baaba Maal album I've purchased, I found this an interesting sound. The aspects of Nomad Soul which appear to divide purists - the clear range of varied musical influences from around the world contrasted with Maal's Senegalese sensibility - appealed to me. I've since gone on to buy Lam Toro which again mixes more traditional African rhythms, this time with Western hip hop/R&B. I find Baaba Maal's voice extraordinary and regret being a late-comer to the party. Thanks to other positive Amazon reviewers who again encouraged me to dip a toe in to fresh waters. Will I buy more? - you bet!

New Girly Handbags Faux Leather Rucksack Gold Studs Backpack School Punk Fashion Womens (Pink)
Offered by Girly HandBags

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap looking..., 28 Jun. 2016
I returned this rucksack. It would work rather better as a handbag given its relatively small dimensions. It has a front zippered pocket which is a useful feature and is lined inside - but with a fairly horrible, very thin nylon-like lining. Overall the appearance of the bag is rather cheap looking. This was only added to by the fact that several inches of the lower parts of the straps where they attach to the base of the rucksack are not faux leather but are made of nylon webbing in a contrasting pale khaki/cream hue which was not apparent from the online photo and is not featured anywhere else on the bag. As this doesn't look too good, I can only assume the intention was to make the item more hardwearing. The colour I selected was pink which was an odd shade, more a deep caramel but much like that depicted online. The rucksack did not look as though it would be very robust. On the positive side, its quirkiness may appeal to young teenagers - and it's unlikely to break the bank.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20