Profile for eltel > Reviews

Content by eltel

eltel

Tents and Tent Stability: A Month-Long Camping Adventure In Germany - In a Rather Dodgy Tent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very more-ish!, 27 Sep 2012
I'd recommend this book to anyone who has the travel bug and a sense of humour. Didn't quite get the big thing about to his dilapidated tent when he could have his Rolls Royce version but it made good reading. I'd like to psend an evening with his retired banker friend - sounds like a hell of a boy!

Coming Back To Me: The Autobiography of Marcus Trescothick
Coming Back To Me: The Autobiography of Marcus Trescothick

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 27 Sep 2012
A fascinating read which reminded me what a great test player he was. I found the stress-related illness stuff very disturbing and far more severe than I had previously thought. Well done to him for being so honest.

My Life as a Hooker: When a Middle-Aged Bloke Discovered Rugby
My Life as a Hooker: When a Middle-Aged Bloke Discovered Rugby

4.0 out of 5 stars my life as a hooker, 27 Sep 2012
Well worth reading if you want a bit of a laugh and a real insight into rugby club life. Funnily enough I had the chance to switch from parks football to join a rugby club and I turned it down on the basis that I was too old to make the switch (I was 24!!) This book was a stark reminder of the scale of my mistake!

Hammered - I Played Football for West Ham, Man City and Everton…Then the Police Came Calling and My Life Fell Apart

4.0 out of 5 stars Hammered, 21 Sep 2012
This book fascinated me because Mark Ward clearly has something about him to be able to write a book like this. Having said that, the stuff he's written about concerning his gambling antics shows that he was a real bozo. I accept that he's his own harshest critic in this respect but how can anyone blow ALL of their 5/10/20 grand a week, week after week, without the penny dropping at some point? (pardon the pun!)

It's a great read though and gives a good insight into the world of professional football especially the intimidation side of things - not just from the opposition but from within your changing room as well!

I agree with an earlier reviewer that we didn't seem to get the full story about the drugs debacle and I can understand why self preservation would be a good reason not to grass up those higher up the food chain. I'm just not sure why he seems to think this is something to be proud of.

It sounds to me that Mark was a pretty tough nut when he started his career. If there's any truth in the adage that surviving difficult times makes you tougher, there shouldn't be anything in his future life that he can't deal with!