Profile for L. Thompson > Reviews

Content by L. Thompson

L. Thompson "mentorartemis" (UK, North West)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13
Twinkle's Big City Knits
Twinkle's Big City Knits
by Wenlan Chia

4.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous but look out for errors, 25 Mar. 2011
Fantastic designs, great photography and all in Wenlan Chia's flamboyant style. I love this book, and I'd have given it five stars based on the designs, layout and ease of reading the patterns. However, it is filled with errors. The publisher REALLY needs to work on the tech editing. Errata is available on the publishers website so you can print out any revisions before you knit. The designs are easy to knit, some more challenging than others and you'll learn a new technique with each style if you're a beginner. A great coffee table book. Warning: if you have curves or are larger than a size 14 (uk) you'll need to 'upsize' the patterns, Wenlan designs for skinny girls and while they 'stretch' it would best if they were made to fit.
All in all, I'm pleased I bought it as it's full of inspiration.

Knitting New Mittens and Gloves: Warm and Adorn Your Hands in 28 Innovative Ways: Warm Your Hands in 28 Innovative Ways
by Robin Melanson

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous patterns, packed with inspiration, 25 Mar. 2011
I love this, it's jam packed with stunning patterns, great use of photography, colours, textures and beautifully put together. I can think of more expensive books which haven't a fraction of the content or interest that this one has. I've made a few of the pattens already, more are in my queue and I think there is something to suit pretty much every style from Grace Kelly to Gothic splendour. Each pattern is well explained, however there are a few minor errors so check the publishers website for errata. Nothing to onerous but always worth looking :-)

A friend of knitting group looks at this most times she visits, so it must be good, maybe I should buy one for her :-)

The Biggest Ever Tim Vine Joke Book
The Biggest Ever Tim Vine Joke Book
by Tim Vine

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud funny, 25 Mar. 2011
I bought this for my ten year old son, a bribe to get him to read The Machine Gunners. He'd wanted this book for a while and loves Tim Vine. I'm reliably informed by my son that this book is ...

Laugh out loud funny
Way cool
has turned him into a cool kid at school?
is funnier than Morecame & Wise

He sat in his chair and laughed almost constantly, sometimes crying with laughter. I can't think of many things that make him, or me, laugh like that.

As an adult, I'm impressed with the use of the English language, the puns, double entendre, the quick-fire nature of Tim Vines humour. It's worth every penny and if you get chance to see him peform live - GO FOR IT

New England Knits: Timeless Knitwear with a Modern Twist
New England Knits: Timeless Knitwear with a Modern Twist
by Cecily Glowik Macdonald

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic designs, stylish and practical, 25 Mar. 2011
I LOVE this book, it's one I pick up and glance at on a regular basis, I've made the Ashfield Cardigan (very pretty and a quick knit), have bought yarn to make the cover design the Middlefield Pullover and would love to make the cabled sweater but haven't quite got my head round the waist shaping (hip shaping to accommodate my large bottom!) I'd have to do. Yarns are in American yarn weights but are easily substituted, ask at your local yarn shop and if they don't know, buy the yarn somewhere that does! The info is readily available online if you need to check it but as always knit a tension square before you start.
Great photography, nice anecdotes about the pattern, the inspiration and the chosen yarns. The designers are helpful if you have pattern problems and any errata are published on Interweave's website. There is a group on Ravelry with various knit-alongs for those wanting to ask advice or share project info and that's visited by the designers themselves who frequently pop in to answer questions. If you like this, you'll love Brave New Knits.

Healthy Parent, Healthy Child (Weight Watchers)
Healthy Parent, Healthy Child (Weight Watchers)
by Karen Miller Kovach

3.0 out of 5 stars Informative, nice ideas, 25 Mar. 2011
I did like this book and it was informative, lots of ideas on healthier eating for everyone. But it also felt a bit like a government advert for fit fo life or something similar. I prefer other books on food an children's eating mainly because they gave you more in the way of recipes while this one deals with more of the lifestyle and attitidue changes. Worth a look if you have kids and want to get the family healthy.

Knitting 24/7: 30 Projects to Knit, Wear, and Enjoy, On the Go and Around the Clock
by Veronik Avery

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish knits for modern life, 25 Mar. 2011
This is a collection of beautiful patterns, some modern, some based on vintage styles but with a fresh, modern twist. I loved the spiral tweed cloche, travel shawl, elemental pullover and the redwork cowl/mitts set. Veronik Avery has a great eye for design and uses contemporary yarns to show off the designs to their best advantage. Her patterns are well written and there is plenty of help to explain terms, abbreviations and demonstrate cast ons and other techniques if you are unfamiliar with them. I'd love to knit the Olive skirt but alas it won't suit my curves :-) So I'll have to content myself with day dreaming as I knit other patterns from this gorgeous book.

Crocheted Scarves: Pt. 2 ("Vogue Knitting" on the Go)
Crocheted Scarves: Pt. 2 ("Vogue Knitting" on the Go)
by Trisha Malcolm

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful designs, 25 Mar. 2011
Some very inspirational designs, great use of colour, stunning photography just as you'd expect with Vogue. It's a handy sized book which fits nicely into your knitting/crochet bag to take along with your project, no balancing it on your knee as it fits nicely and lays flat on the chair next to you. Great little book, only a few patterns but each with it's own charm, clear instructions and comments from the designer.

Joomla! E-Commerce with VirtueMart
Joomla! E-Commerce with VirtueMart
by Suhreed Sarkar

5.0 out of 5 stars informative, easy to follow, great value, 25 Mar. 2011
A really useful book for those new to Joomla and Virtuemart, covering all the questions you'd need to ask when setting your new online shop. Well thought out, easy to use and very helpful. Lots of pictures to go with step by step instructions on how to carry out the various tasks. Great value.

60 Quick Knits in Cascade 220 (60 Quick Knits Collection)
60 Quick Knits in Cascade 220 (60 Quick Knits Collection)
by Sixth&Spring Books

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, beautiful patterns, something for everyone!, 25 Mar. 2011
I loved this book, lots of designs to choose from at a bargain price. I felt there was a good mix of colourwork (fairisle), cables, stitch patterns, sizes and styles to suit pretty much anyone you'd want to make for. I like the colour choices and the photography is excellent. The Cascade Yarns are available in the UK and are easy to subsitute if you check with your local yarn shop. There are a few errors, so check the publishers website for the errata for this book. One of the designs was a cute cabled and bobbled hat, the intructions for the bobbles are missing but ARE on the publishers error pages. It didn't stop me knitting the pattern and the recipient loved the hat.

I've made several of the patterns as gifts for family and friends, there are also a few I'd like to make for myself too. I loved the waffle mittens, bunny mittens (ideal for little or big girls), drop stitch neck wrap, leaf scarf, lion scarf (fab for young boys), puppy mittens (for all kids) and the tassled topper hat. It would make a lovely gift for a keen knitter or even a beginner as they'd learn something new with each project.

Collins Livemocha Active French (Collins Active/Livemocha)
Collins Livemocha Active French (Collins Active/Livemocha)

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, great support, 25 Mar. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This does seem like a budget version of Rosetta Stone at first glance. However, once I'd logged into the website to start my course it was clear that Collins had done their homework. It was well set up, easy to navigate and the learning experience is very effective. You can opt for add-ons such as feedback from a dedicated tutor or for free you can be a buddy with those who speak the language you are learning while you help them with their English.

Feedback on learning is great, you get the chance to speak and record your French, your grammar is checked and scored there and then. It's simple to see exactly where you are and move on to the next lesson without having to think too hard :-)

Learning is written, spoken, video format with lots of questions to test your knowledge from beginner to intermediate and beyond. The kit contains learning manuals with each learning task, reminders, hints and tips to either replace (if you don't like computers) or to support the website experience.

All in all, it's fantastic value and I'll definitely be learning another language. My other half is fluent in French was very impressed with the way that grammar and conversational learning was integrated into the package. As someone with 'schoolgirl' French, this has refreshed my learning and added new vocabulary, a better understanding of spoken French and given me much more confidence. A winner!

Edited to add: I dropped the rating on this, it is a great package, but compared to Berlitz Language Courses it's not such great value. The Berlitz includes all the audio files, flash cards and presentation material in the pack. A lot of this is available online with the Live Mocha series but only printed in the pack, so you don't get to hear the language unless you use the online materials and this is licensed for a few months, after that you pay for ongoing access. For me, Bertlitz is better value for those to who want to learn over time and like to pop back to refresh their learning ready for a business trip or holiday without paying extra for the privilege.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13